Customer reviews

on 16 April 2017
The group that flies the flag for A1+++ grade pop music. Lovely, individually crafted songs that give you a hug and a friendly peck on the cheek. This is an incredibly strong album all the way through. Dare I say it might well be their best.
on 14 May 2017
ok
on 9 June 2013
I never can explain to people what it is I like about Scottish indie bands there is a whole different approach to the way songs are constructed and few do it better than Tracey Anne Campbell her soft vocals underpin the delivery of lines that will stir your soul and leave you haunted long after the song has finished instrumentally they balance and compliment each other superbly and on this the fifth album the quality and class shows through as strong as ever following on from my maudlin career they show no sign of running out of steam or quality and deserve to be recognised as a beacon of hope in a world of musical mundanity and maybe by listening to this somebody may be able to tell me why I love Scottish indie bands so much
on 31 July 2013
This is a gorgeous album by Camera Obscura. This isn't just due to the voice of Traceyanne or the wonderful musicians surrounding her but also the beauty of the song writing, the arrangements and excellent production. The songs seem to flow so naturally, something rarely found these days when so much music seems forced and overthought. This sounds like a band at the top of their game, confident and enjoying themselves. Some of the melodies here are pure heaven, one can hear hints of prime time 10,000 Maniacs and the Delgados. A most enjoyable listen.
on 29 July 2013
A long enforced wait (Carey Lander had cancer,band members had bereavements and Tracyanne became pregnant!) but certainly worth it.There is not a better songwriter than Ms Campbell to capture the brittle heartache of relationships.From the sad resignation of 'Fifth in Line to the Throne' to the cheeky celebration of sex in 'Do it Again' Tracyanne Campbell is the best songwriter in Britain,no question.The only quibble is the production,too bland and American for me (It was recorded in Baltimore under the direction of Tucker Martine) but really this doesn't matter.An absolute triumph.
on 12 August 2013
This band can't make bad albums.Desire Lines yet again confirm their brilliance,with Tracyanne's songwriting ability again hitting the heights.Melodies and tunes galore and her superb voice make this album an absolute must.Brilliant music!
on 1 July 2013
The title? I don't mean to say it's not worth the wait but I don't want the band to think they can wait 4 years between every release. Pull your finger out and don't leave it so long next time.

"Desire Lines" is a mighty fine album. Up there with their best. It's taken me a few listens, I will admit, and as many casual observer will comment "they all sound the same" and they'd be right until you've got into the album. And I don't just mean listened to it but "got in to it". And of course the lyrics are a hugely important part of that. And then you notice how distinct the songs are, yet how well they all gel together.

"New Year's Resolution", "William's Heart", "Break It To You Gently", "Do It Again" are some of my favourites off the album.

Camera Obscura are back. And I for one have missed them. Welcome back guys, now remember, don't leave it so long next time ok?
on 6 June 2013
With nothing heard from the band for a long time I was beginning to think the worst but at last we have a new LP.

Following the trend of "Maudlin Career" Songs are less high tempo than "Let's get out of this country" and more reflective. It doesn't matter to me- I like all of it and this record seems to bring out the best in Traceyanne's beautiful voice. On 5 listens "Break it to me gently" is my favourite and certainly the most catchy on the record. However I think this record will be a grower and once I get to 20 listens I will probably have changed my mind!

Ironically it also has a Summer feel to it, despite the obviously melancholy lyrics.

The only band worth listening to in 2013 and from someone who used to buy about 2 or 3 records a week in the 80's and 90's this is the first LP I have bought this year- a must have.
on 11 August 2013
The best album yet by a superb Scottish band who criminally have yet to.break the top 40 singles chart. Beautiful songs here and lovely melodies
on 20 March 2014
Bought this album not long after release, around 6 months ago, having never heard anything of Camera Obscura (despite their links and similarities to Belle and Sebastian, my favourite band of many years). Enjoyed on first listen and it has been a grower ever since and is still one of my most frequently played. Wonderful songwriting, instrumentation, and vocals. Highlights are Troublemaker and William's Heart but there are also a few gems later on the album such as Break it to me gently and Making Money; an enjoyable listen from start to finish. Highly recommended.