Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.55

on 13 July 2013
I have read a few books on this subject now and this is one of the best. I still find it very difficult to comprehend what these people had to go through at the hands of the Nazis, in this book Roma tells her story of survival which left me in tears on more than one occasion. God bless you and your family.
on 20 August 2013
I have probably read at least 120.books about Auschwitz/Birkenau and have visited both sites 5 times in seven years,and I have to say that this book rates in my all time 10 favourites for contents.
I have enjoyed it from the very first pages and am sadly nearing the end of this kindle book.Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!
on 16 January 2015
I hate it when I am left confused by a book and I found it to be the case in this instance. The points that confused me were:
1. the author remembered verbatim conversations that took place years ago - this made the book read like a piece of fiction
2. One month after liberation from the hell of Bergen Belsen the author and her sister are pictured dressed up, stylised hair and posing on a British army truck - this was a Jewish survivor of Majdanek, Auschwitz and Belsen!! It just doesn't ring true with the narrative and plays into the hands of deniers.
I've read numerous accounts and just found this to book to have too many questions. read the Train in Winter to find out the true emotional, physical and psychological impact surviving the camps had - this doesn't apply in this book whose author was out socialising one month after liberation!!!
on 31 May 2015
This was an incredible biography of a young girl's life from the start of Germany's occupation of Poland. The story is very harrowing but a story that should be read. It is unimaginable to even start to imagine the horror of living through the holocaust and to see all your loved ones snatched away from you. I am just so pleased that Roma survived and was able to go forwards and lead a relatively normal life.
on 11 November 2014
To state I loved this book is rather a misnomer...the word love just seems all wrong applied to such a dark subject. However, this book does make for an interesting and pretty horrifying read. It's grim going at times, but it is so important this subject is not allowed to fade away. It could happen again...without question looking at the world we live in today...and books such as this hopefully ensure the darkest of paths is not even considered ever again. Recommended.
on 10 September 2014
I am so glad that Rachel survived the unrelenting horror of the Germans. Her story should be part of required reading in schools in every country. It is well written if a little repetitious in parts but her love of her family and friends comes out. Thank you for reminding us of this horrific time in our history.
on 1 December 2013
Well, This book is very easy to read and almost 'unreadable' because of the sheer traumatic experience of this author during the Holocaust. Very upsetting, but one you can't put down.

How the world stood by & let this happen is beyond comprehension. The Nazis should never be forgiven!!! Nor these harrowing oral histories should be ever forgotton.

I'm humbled to read this story
on 7 August 2013
Great book and great writing and I am glad that the survivors can tell the story of this time so it will not happen again.
on 19 September 2013
This should be required reading in schools. Rachel is inspiring, and her story, together with pictures makes complete sense of the motto "Lest we forget"
on 9 October 2013
This book should be in every library in the world, it is informative and spellbinding as to what individual horrors people had to endure just to get to another day of horror. I have read a lot of books regarding the Holocaust and thought I was fairly knowledgeable on the subject, in cold facts perhaps but I have now been educated as to true human feelings and needs., I am a 68 year old man yet this diary made me cry like a baby, although it is not written for sympathy only a true understanding of horrific times that must never be repeated.
Thank-you for letting me into your world of joyful memories and horrendous sorrows, I feel that if this educational masterpiece was read by everyone the world would naturally become a better place.