on 31 December 2013
Went to see the 30th anniversary tour and loved it so when this came out decided to buy as am unable to get to London with ease. Great show, changed slightly but to good effect. Not too sure about Marti Pellow as voice not very strong but, there again, I have been spoiled by seeing the wonderful Justin Hayward in the original. Be warned ... it may take a while to get some of the songs out of your head.
on 29 December 2013
I think my Mum described it best - this recording of the new live WOTW show is an entertainment feast. The New Generation version is an augmentation, rather than a wholesale revision, of the original - so fans of the latter need not worry. The likes of Richard Burton, Phil Lynott and Justin Hayward are irreplaceable but the new cast performs gamely. As Jeff Wayne himself says in one of the interviews, the aim was for new interpretations, rather than attempts to copy the original vocals. The accompaniment of visual scenes and stage props (including the impressive Martian fighting machine) adds considerably to the audio narrative and is frequently integrated into the progression of the story with a high degree of artistry and cleverness. The centerpiece, however, remains the music and it is as joyous as ever. The band and orchestra (including veterans of the original album Herbie Flowers and Chris Spedding) are on fine form and hold you transfixed right from the opening bars of Eve of the War. It would particularly reward the use of a proper sound system, as the rich, multi-layered sonic complexity is inevitably truncated when heard through standard TV speakers.

DVDs that offer, pound-for-pound, this much enjoyment for the money are rare. I would strongly recommend it to both fans of the original and those who have yet to experience Jeff Wayne's masterpiece. Stunning.
on 8 February 2014
Superb show but the current trend for fast cut editing ruined this for me. when each segment is only held for a second or so it's impossible to focus on the image and it just makes for irritation not excitement. The cameramen should also have the zoom controls on their cameras disabled. the action is the stage and not the crazy antics of the cameramen.
on 25 May 2015
I have loved WOTW since I was a little girl and obviously the original recording will be the best. However I think it is inevitable that they will try to change it up every so often to keep people interested and all in all I think it works really well. I have the 30th anniversary DVD which I loved but I did enjoy the hologram stuff on this particular show. I think if anyone was going to have to replace Richard Burton then Liam Neeson is a good choice. The whole cast were brilliant except Marty Pellow - seriously what were they thinking!!! His voice is far to weak and he couldn't handle the songs!
If you love war of the worlds then it is still a good DVD to own.
on 23 April 2013
I love everythig about this album. Jeff Wayne has done a great job updating his classic album, and the artists are well-chosen. My only regret is that I couldn't get to see the live show.
on 16 December 2013
The DVD is fab, of course if you have been to the live show its not quite the same but the music the actors and the whole feel of the show is still amazing, if you weren't lucky enough to get to see it and you love the recording, then this is a must see.
on 8 January 2014
The show is brilliant, but this recording is dreadful! The producer or the director, or both, are too busy showing off their toys, instead of concentrating on the performance. Why in the world would I want close-ups of one of the guitarist's hands? Why would I want to see the view from the furthest reaches of the auditorium, instead of an optimum, centre-stage view?
This is so bad that I stopped watching after only 20 minutes.
What a massive disappointment!
on 5 April 2015
Loved every minute of this amazing show if you remember the original album of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds you will love the visual effects of the fantastic stage show.
Liam Neeson was the calming voice of the narrator and had some big boots to fill,those of us old enough to remember Richard Burton's dulcet tones as the narrator.And a very fine job Mr Neeson did.
on 8 February 2014
I know it sounds sad but although this is almost the same as the original it just doesn't sound right to me. Probably not the most helpful review but I just wanted to explain why I only gave it two stars when I loved the original version. Its the little things, richard Burton's voice sounds better and the music is a little too much electronic. Nothing major just little things which make the original better.
on 28 November 2013
watch it again and again a must see dvd will make a great christmas gift for anyone who loves a good musical