VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 February 2014
I have currently read all the books by Cathy Glass except "Happy Adults/Happy Kids/ & Happy Mealtimes", and found her to be an excellent author, recounting the stories of children she has fostered.

"Will you love me?" is that bit different, because Cathy not only fosters Lucy, but in the end adopts her. I think out of all the books, this is the one I have most enjoyed.

Cathy is an exceptional person, as it takes someone very, very special to take on fostering children who have been so let down in life by their blood family. Lucy is one such little girl and Cathy is the very special person to love and care for her and to welcome her permanently into her family.

The story starts with Bonnie, Lucy's birth mother, working in a launderette. Not a good well paid job, anything but, however to Bonnie the job was important because it provided her somewhere to live with her baby. Somewhere to live is an overstatement because i would not even want my dogs living there, but being there, means that Bonnie and baby Lucy are not sleeping rough or squatting.

Bonnie has not been a loved or cherished young person but in her own way she does love baby Lucy, and although the 'care' she gives to her baby is not really care, it is the best that Bonnie can do. Even though thinks are far from good, this night they get worse. Bonnie has to up sticks with her baby and leave. She is now running scared and is really, really desperate but she is not able to trust anyone so she just has to rely on her own wits.

I am not going to tell you all about the story because it really does spoil it for the reader it the plot and content are all written here in a review. The reader will travel on the journey with Bonnie and baby Lucy and then just be following Lucy and the struggles she has in settling down into foster care with Cathy and her children Adrian and Paula.

You will not be able to put this book down and you will be full of admiration for Cathy. You will be horrified at the failings at that time of Social Services, and I think you will feel sorry for Bonnie, Lucy's young mother. Most of all you will be happy, very happy for Lucy.

I thoroughly recommend this book - it is just brilliant!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 September 2013
Lucy is the daughter of Bonnie and Vince who is of Thai extraction. Vince leaves Bonnie who spirals downwards into rough living taking Lucy with her. After a succession of Step-dads, uncles and aunts, the abused Lucy is passed pillar to post by a well-meaning social services department. Lucy is left damaged, mentally and physically. She has no stability in her life, is distrustful and has an eating disorder. Her only friend is Sammy, an observant schoolboy, who sees the predicament Lucy is in and tells the teacher, Mrs Bridges about his concerns to little avail.

Enter Cathy Glass. Her social worker Julie asks Cathy to take Lucy in. Her response is as usual 'yes'. Lucy understandably is reticent about her new surroundings and wonders where she will be sent next. Cathy and her children Adrian and Paula are pillars of understanding and help. Gradually, Lucy, not without difficulty, realises love and genuine affection surround her. She feels part of a family. What happens next is up to the authorities and a bureaucratic tug-of-war to reach the common-sense and obvious solution to Lucy's long-term care.

Cathy Glass has written another winner. There are differences from recent books in that the fringe elements concerning care and depth intelligence are more emphasised, not surprising in view of recent media events. At the centre of all this is the carer, Cathy, who remains passionate about the children in her charge. Heart-rending and written by an expert; engaging, 'unputdownable' and excellent.
11 Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 September 2016
I approached this book with some trepidation, I don't usually read 'misery memoirs', and quite honestly couldn't remember exactly why I had bought this one.
It took the same course that most of these books must take, misery, misery, light at the end of the tunnel and saved.
I am mystified as to how this woman knew the back story of Amy, allowing her to write about it. I can only assume that she uses a large helping of poetic license to ensure that the story follows the necessary path.
There were several things that really irritated me in this book. Do they really employ people as social workers who bang on and on about a child's "ethnic identity" when, the so called ethnic identity was the result of not much more than a one night stand.. The author who writes all these books about happy relationships in families and how to bring up children well, appears to be divorced, so obviously didn't read her own book, and irritatingly refers to Lucy as "love" throughout the book, whilst she is speaking to her. I find the use of words like love, dear, sweetheart and darling rather patronising or are they used by people who cannot be bothered to remember your name?
I know that I sound curmudgeonly towards this woman, but is anyone this perfect? I am sure that as a foster parent she was very good, but poor old social services who, after all, have a tough job to do come in for a bit of a kicking. She sounds a bit like Nigel Farage in a dress with the constant references to "politely correctness gone mad"
on 3 December 2013
Now I am an avid Cathy Glass fan! I feel I should admit to that before I begin! I feel like I'm at AA =]
I've read all her other books and cried along as children she wanted to adopt never came into fruition. Lucy has been mentioned many times, as her adopted daughter. I've always wondered about what made her different, why she was the chosen one, or the lucky one, I should say to end up in such a fantastic family.
This book reviles the reason and the back ground. A fantastic journey.
Now just one warning, snuggle up when you have plenty of time as you'll want to read it all in one go. Oh, and maybe have some tissues to hand as, if you're anything like me ie a softy, then you'll be taken on quite a ride and will be laughing and crying, sometimes both at once, during this book!
on 11 April 2015
From someone who is going through the adoption process I wanted to read a book that would give me an insight into what I much b like when a child to live with me. I did find this useful an Will be reading more of Cathy's books.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 September 2013
I bought this book, and as always couldn't put it down! I read the entire book in an afternoon. I love Cathy's books, and I'd been waiting for this one. I'd prepared myself for a difficult read assuming it would be a story of severe abuse. However, to my surprize I found myself relieved that Lucy hadn't been abused. Although she'd been neglected, I believe that with the right support Bonnie might have coped better. She clearly loved her daughter, but she'd had a rough ride, and wasn't given the help and support all new parents need. I realize a lot of people would be thinking that if she really wanted her child then she'd have changed, and got the help she needed, however I know how difficult it is to be a young, single, homeless mother with a tiny baby who depends totally on you, and not be given the support you need. Any parent, especially a single parent, needs support when there's a new baby, however social services don't always provide the support needed. I felt Cathy's frustration when she first asked about adopting Lucy and was told no. But I smiled and cried when she was given the go ahead. I am so glad that Lucy got her happy ending. I hope more children get their happy endings too, and I think Lucy's story shows that an older CAN be adopted, and not just left in the care system. I love this book and, as always, am waiting for the next one!
on 27 October 2013
wow!!! I cried for Lucy and also for Cathy xx Although I knew the outcome of this one (due to being an avid fan) I still chewed my nails whilst waiting to `hear` the outcome. I almost punched the air when Lily decided to back the application for you to have Lucy permanently. Cathy your books never fail to amaze me, I love that you have such a big heart and three amazing children who are all testament to you. I miss mummy is next on my shopping list - I can`t wait to get it and get stuck in (with a mansize box of tissues) Lucy you have come such a long way since you found your forever home with Cathy and Adrian and Paula have coped amazingly well over the years. P.S I loved the mischevious side with Toscha and Stevie and I am sure you won`t be the last person to play on someone`s weakness. Your stories always make me appreciate what I do have in life xx
on 16 September 2013
Cathy never fails to makes me feel like I am there with her. I was there when she dealt with Jodie's behaviour, I was there as she comforted Alice, I was there as she felt Tayo's excitement at living with his dad.
In every book I have read by Cathy, I have felt completely sucked in and by the time I put down the book, if I can manage that at all, hours have passed.
Lucy's story is no exception.
I loved the fact that it started from the very beginning of Lucy's life, you understand all of what happened to her. Something we've never been able to have from one of Cathy's books before.
Despite already knowing the ending, obviously Lucy is mentioned in other books, the book still had me captivated and i still laughed and cried with it.
I adored this book, as I adore all of Cathy's books, and I can't wait to read it again!
I'd definitely suggest this to everyone!
on 22 September 2013
Having previously read Cathy Glass books, I was intrigued to hear the story of her adopted daughter Lucy.
Always seeming to be a part of the family but knowing she was adopted meant there had to be some kind of history behind Lucy coming to be with Cathy.
Without giving away too much of her sad background, I feel Lucy was so lucky that fate brought her to the wonderful foster care of the inspiring patient and caring foster mum.
This is an amazing story that shows how a loving, understanding and safe family can really change a child's life.
Cathy continues to be a shining beacon in the foster world, from where we often hear shocking stories of abuse and broken trust. Her stories help me remember that there are genuinely good, caring people in this world who selflessly pick up the pieces of these damaged children and give them hope.
on 15 January 2015
Im glad I waited til this book was available as a whole book and not in 3 separate parts ( Why do authors do this nowadays ? Having said that I didnt read the first part of the book,, Bonnies story as prefer to read books that are written in the first person . So I skipped to part 2. This didnt in anyway detract from the story of how Lucy arrived in the Glass family and I dont think I missed out by not reading all the book . As usual Cathy style of writing is simple and down to earth. Ive not found many books by Cathy that I didnt really enjoy,, well maybe one but this is one of the best.