Customer reviews

Colour: 3 Pieces|Change

on 29 June 2013
I bought this product on a whim as the packaging is so appealing. I am so glad I did.

I don't recommended the directions for use on the Amazon site - I found it produced thin and watery lather.

I took an Ikea stainless steel bowl that fits in the palm of my hand and crammed the soap in it.

Used with a bowl and badger brush, this soap consistantly produces massive amounts of creamy lather which doesn't dry my skin or leave a scum on the water in the sink.

Each stick is lasting five months. It's not quite the cheapest shaving soap but it's very close.

The only issue I could see would be the scent other reviewers have remarked upon - but it doesn't last beyond a week or so.

At this price you could try it and if you find the scent too much then the unopened/unused packets will sit on your bathroom shelf giving a manly 50s barber shop feel to the place.

Recommended - five stars.
on 7 December 2016
I usually dry shave as I have hypersensitive skin, few spots and got bad shaving irritation from wet shaving which would lead to more spots and so on...
I was using a mach 3/fusion for the very odd time I would have a wet shave previously.
I then learnt about the art of DE & shavette style shaving and almost everyone saying it lead them to an irritation free shave, so I thought I would give it a go. I went ahead and purchased a safety razor, different blades, an arko shave stick, a Palmolive shave stick, proraso red shave cream and a shaving brush to compliment them all.

Anyway, the first one I tried was the Arko shave stick, I used proraso pre shave cream, applied the Arko by rubbing it against the grain on my stubble then proceeded into a face lather with my brush.
I was left a little underwhelmed by the face lather so I pressed my Arko stick in to a bowl and added more soap that way, which gave me a much more luxurious lather to work with.

Firstly, the scent is not to everyone's liking, personally I love the citronella/lemony/soap smell while its in stick form, but don't really care for the scent too much when its lathered, weird I know.
My Girlfriend says it smells like a public toilet (see where I'm going about the scent not being to everyone's liking) However it does not linger around too much after the shave so you can apply your own aftershave/cologne.

The slickness of the soap is immense which I'm lead to believe is the tallow working its magic, after 1 pass and rinse off the excess soap you can really feel the slickness on your skin which is giving great protection before, during and after passes.
However I felt the soap did dry a little too quick for me, I did a clean up pass by removing the excess soap from my brush and rubbing it around my face feeling for the areas I needed to clean up (great tip thanks to NickShaves) and the soap dried on my hand within a few minutes and was then unusable.

The soap also left a residue on my razor once it had been fully cleaned/dried, like a hazy film, probably the tallow but I'm not too sure and don't really care I just wanted to put it in the review for others to know.

Once finished I did have a few nicks but my Alum bloc sorted that right out & I did get irritation, but waking up the morning after the irritation had gone and I was left feeling very smooth and quite impressed.

Overall 3 stars but I will keep using Arko and see how I get on with it in the future and I will update this review as and when I feel Arko has improved or not for my personal needs.
I am new to DE shaving and this was my first shave so I cannot put the irritation down to the soap as it was more than likely my technique/lack of experience with a safety razor, as my OH did say she could see the marks on my neck where I had dragged the razor down.

I would recommend Arko sticks as they are cheap, scent is not too offensive for the price & give great lather/slickness. I also highly recommend the seller Salon Time on Amazon and Ebay, really fast despatch/delivery times on both sites.

Please rate my review below.

EDIT.. upped to 5stars now as i have learnt to lather it correctly and it gives me great irritation free shaves every time! My go to soap for consistent shaves, excellent!
on 2 February 2016
Whilst by preference I use a Taylor's of Old Bond Street soap in a wooden dish for most of my shaving, I really rate Arko soap. It has a fresh, lemony scent and gives a good lather. It would be nice if it came in a puck suitable for shaving dishes, but that's a minor point. I ended up with several spare sticks and thought to try using it as a mild soap for showering, and it's good for this too - it leaves a pleasant scent and seems to cleanse as well as shower gel or regular soap. Worth a try!
on 14 October 2015
I have used this soap for a few years now and find it the best I have found. I like an old fashioned shave with lots of lather and this soap does give off lots of lather. Some customers have said the smell is bad but I find it quite a pleasant smell which doesn't linger on the skin so it's not really an issue. I know it's not the quickest way to apply soap prior to shaving but it makes for a much more comfortable shave in the long run I think it's a combination of the hot water and soap softening the bristles that makes for a better shave. The other bonus is the cost it lasts such a long time that it's so much cheaper than buying cans of shaving soap. If you like a traditional shave with lots of lather use this soap it does give great results.
on 2 May 2016
This creates a really nice lather. I have mainly used creams in the past but the price of the arko grabbed my attention. I hear some press this into a shaving bowl but I rubbed it directly onto the skin and lathered with a hot brush. The scent is different! Not offensive in any form but fails to match that of more expensive brands. I actually quite liked it. The lather was very creamy and thick and it provided a nice cushion for my razor. Would buy again but I can I see this lasting some time!
on 15 April 2017
Like many other reviewers I found this shaving soap ideal. I wet my face then apply soap from the stick before brushing into a good lather, and really nothing else to addthat no one else has already said, buy it, you wont be disappointed.

So, almost three months on and I can say this product is brilliant. I have shaved with it three or four times a week and if you look at the photo, this is how much I have used of the first stick, it really does go a long way. Also I dip the soap in the water to apply, so you can also from the paper, it does not turn into a soggy mess, use a good quality brush and it makes for a good clean shave. Well impressed.
review image
on 9 May 2017
Picked up these sticks because I was curious - plus wanted something easier to carry around if necessary. Wasn't expecting the best shave experience, fragrance or resultant supple skin but the end results are quite impressive, and not bad given the price. Having applied the soap stick to the face it's then necessary to lather using a brush, which was extremely easy to do and create an excellent amount of cream. Blades glide over the skin nicely and cut well, whilst enjoying a unique, citrusy fragrance. Leaves the skin soft and smooth but not hydrated or supple enough so a balm is needed to feel comfortable.
on 12 January 2017
Make sure you are using this properly (apply by rubbing in circular motions over wet face covering all area to be shaved THEN start working up the lather with your wet BRUSH.
Just DON'T use any ARKO shaving CREAMS, those are junk.
on 29 May 2016
This is fabulous stuff. I scraped trace elements of it on my stubble. I thought it couldn't possibly be enough to generate a lather. However, a wet brush, a quick swish around and before I knew it, I had a rich, swish lather all over my face.

The smell is a bit marmite. For me, it's a bit lemon, a bit bathroom cleaner, and a bit barbershop. Whatever the case, I can live with it, as it dissipates fairly quickly anyway. The quality of the product, the incredible value on offer, all make this worth having as a regular part of your shaving rotation. And if you have a limited budget for shaving, this is a standout option.
on 5 April 2017
For many years I used to use Boots shaving sticks but I have not been able to find any for months in my local Boots so thought I would try these.

These work well enough and produce a good cream. I would prefer if they were in a plastic dispenser/packaging like the Boots sticks rather than just wrapped In paper. It makes them more messy to use than Boots.

However while the Boots sticks are unavailable these make an acceptable alternative.