on 11 September 2006
I am not usually a Rob Brydan fan but this is hysterical. Brydon plays Paul a very British, clumsy, twit who following a rather disasterous interview goes to work for an observatory in the Australian outback. Thsi series just makes me cry with laughter, it's quite gentle but very funny.
23 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2013
I was expecting an Australian flavoured comedy, perhaps a bit Crocodile Dundee-ish, about astronomers in the Australian outback. I couldn't wait for it to arrive, I wondered why I hadn't come across it before. Well today it arrived. I could only watch it for about fifteen sickened minutes. The "humour" as such, is vacuous, repulsive and has no trace of wit or cleverness at all. The concept of a series on laid back Aussie astronomers had such potential but the script has ruined it. I'm so disappointed. I can't even give it away. You might be thinking I'm a prude, perhaps I am but if you're considering buying this and find degenerate humour boring, I'd look else where.
on 3 December 2007
Follows our hero's integration into the team of stunningly bright social misfits manning an Australian observatory. All the characters screw up in their own special ways, from episode to episode, but no one has to be predictably the loser every time, not even our hero, despite his pathetic efforts to win the love & lust of his fiercely competent colleague, that's the one engaged to a psychopathic astronaut... A great mixture of interesting characters, with science, sex, and the pub,.. oh, and a lurking risk of death. Quirky, but excellent.
12 people found this helpful
on 24 January 2012
Supernova

This is the best comedy I have found in years , the cast work as a whole, fantastic script lovely dialogue, I laughed until I dropped, where is season 2. The best Rob Brydon has ever done -- far superior to anything he has done since. Most of our friends have bought a copy, the question is who will wear theirs out first.
Every bit as good as porridge - that is saying something - possibly the best TV comedy since Porridge. That includes Blackadder.
4 people found this helpful
on 8 April 2016
A great series, amusing and entertaining, Hope series two is release soon.
3 people found this helpful
on 13 January 2018
I had forgotton just how funny this series is. I hope they record the second season. I love the one when Paul things he has seen the face of God.
on 30 September 2007
I am so glad my partner insisted on getting cable TV or I would have missed seeing one of the funniest shows of the decade - possibly the century.
It is true that the characters are fairly two dimensional and the storylines are in no way complex, but it is this simplicity that makes the show such a hoot. And don't think it is all so predictable; while you're busy laughing at the more obvious humour, something totally unforseen can come from left of centre and set you off again.
I loved this show so much I spent 18 months waiting for it to be released on DVD and then trying to find someone who could send it to Australia for me!
I'm here now because I was checking to see if Season 2 had been released on DVD, yet. NO such luck. But I'll keep looking.
7 people found this helpful
on 1 March 2007
have you noticed that really clever comedy always avoids cheaps laughs about sex? well this isn't and it doesn't.

it must have cost a fortune to make but was a complete waste. i bought this on dvd after loving brydon in marion and geoff and simply wished i hadn't bothered. it's hi-de-hi with a big budget.
3 people found this helpful