Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 5 November 2012
Just on the basis of the two tracks heard on the Jools Holland Later progamme, I would characterise this as a (very welcome) return to the style that soul / funk had reached around 1972 to 1974. I loved that era, and have never thought that its quality has been equalled in any subsequent soul era. This seems to go right back to that time - and in the case of "That's Still Mama" - actually improve upon it. The track is uptempo with a seriously good melody, great instrumentation, and great lead vocals backed up by a marvellous background vocalist. The final few seconds of vocalising add a wonderful final touch.
on 7 November 2012
I first heard Cody on The Roots' 'The Seed 2.0' single... he brought raw rocking soul to that one. Recently I picked up the 'Black Skin, No Value' EP that was also fantastic - this time more conscious and low key.

This album is even better than I expected. It's not just conscious, it's not just R&B. It's true soul music, gets you dancing and singing as well as thinking. It's been a long time since I picked up a new soul album that really blew me a way. This one is it. Get it get it.
on 5 December 2012
There are many thing I could say about this album, about how relevant it is at this time, and how much it speaks to my own experience and journey. It will stand proudly next to some of my favourite albums of alltime, such as Marvin Gaye's 'What's Going On', Stevie Wonder's 'Innervisions', Curtis Mayfield's 'Curtis' and Al Green's 'The Belle Album'. Cody's voice is an instrument of wonder, and its surrounded by musical exellence from the musicians that play on the record. I was so impressed by the sound quality of this record that I had to get it on vinyl. The sound engineering and mastering was of the highest order. In my estimation, this is one of the best Soul albums of the last 30 years.Thank you Cody Chesnutt!
on 4 November 2012
Cody Chestnutt's home produced 4 track 'Headphone Masterpiece' in 2002 generated a lot of interest when it was released in 2002 mainly following The Roots cover of the fantastic track "The seed".Well Cody has really smashed it with this album. The modern bass lines found here are enhanced by some truly soulful old school flavours. Shades of Marvin and Curtis prevail throughout.Having just witnessed his performance on the BBC Jools Hooland Live show I appreciate how tight this band really are.It would be hard to distinguish the TV performance from the album tracks they are that good. Cody has stayed close to his roots by providing political and social commentary on some of these tracks which used to be an integral part of the very soul of great soul music.This album puts music of black origin firmly back on track and I personally really love it. Buy this album. It may not only be the album of the year it may well prove to be the "What's Going On " of the 21st. century which I appreciate is an often overused cliché when used as a comparison for a soul/RnB album.It is also worth noting that this album was originally made available as a download with profits going to charity which to me is a soul man putting his money firmly where his mouth is. You should support the Chestnutt concept not only because it is refreshing in a materialistic, selfish world but also because the entire album is quality throughout which is a really nice bonus.
on 14 November 2012
Saw on Jools Holland and followed up. One of the best Soul albums I've ever heard. It's as good and reminiscent of "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye. Still Mama' is possibly even better. Blown away by the quality of this album!
on 23 February 2014
My wife loves Marvin Gaye and we saw this guy on Jools Holland's show, just a couple of numbers, I bought her this and she loved it took me a little longer because it's unfamiliar kind of Marvin meets Gil Scott Heron on the boardwalk on Coney Island if that makes sense? On the cover he's wearing a US army helmet. You don't often see that!
Nice, often apparently discordant textures overlaid and complementary in the mixes but it all gels. NO idea how well its selling but a courageous A&R man took a chance and its really has paid off. Odd music but very affecting -- my wife still loves it.
on 5 September 2015
Heard a track by Kody ChestnuTO on radio, one Saturday morning, and I just had to hear more. He is amazing! This album is him "soul searching" , and slightly self indulgent. I will be getting more of his work. 🎼🎵🎸
on 12 June 2014
I first heard Cody ChesNUTT on Radio 4 'Loose Ends' one Saturday evening. He was singing the track 'What Kind of Cool (Will We Think of Next) so good that you want to play over and over. 'Don't Follow Me' is also an incredible track. His voice has echoes of Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder....but is quite unique. Like others who comment I wonder that he isn't well known. He sings as if he has lived life on the edge

Go to YouTube and listen to these tracks.
on 4 June 2013
This is the type of record that everybody needs to hear. The type of record that should be huge, and the type of record that hipsters would like to keep to themselves. This is soul music
on 18 February 2014
Absolutely brilliant! The best find of 2013 in my opinion. Great voice, and a fantyastic album filled with great hooks and real soul feel. Try More than a wedding to get a feel for the sound. I can't recommend this highly enough!!