on 27 June 2017
Loved, loved, loved this book. Its light, its well written, its fun and very addictive.
The story centres around Elle an enchantress that basically isn't aware of just how powerful she is, or really what she is, thanks to the coven. That was about to change thanks to Niall.
Finding out what she is, while investigating an insurance claim, is hard enough, never mind having people wanting to kill you.
This book just keeps on giving, and the story twists and turns, to keep you turning those pages.
I took a chance with this, and bought the box set. Sooooo glad I did, because as soon as I'd finished reading it, I went straight onto book two
on 25 April 2015
I got the book mainly because it's set in the UK, to see how this genre would work here, so I had no expectations.
I quickly became engrossed in the story and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a twist on the usual supernatural tales with the witch/vampire angle. There are a few things unexplained but, if you think about what Elle is, you'll quickly work it out.
Good characters and location, it flows well too.
on 31 January 2015
A quick no brainer read but enjoyable.
on 8 April 2013
Great first book in the series. Not like any book at all in this genre. Looking forward to the next book.
on 5 November 2016
Yet another new author and my first read of the series.

Though the book was short on pages this did not in any way reflect on the quality of the content. It was full on from first to last page.

A new type of witch, well maybe new to me. Liked the subtle vampire tag. It opens up a whole new way of looking at a witch magic type. By the end of the book what this means becomes much clearer and will make for interesting storylines as the series progresses.

The love interest was quick in coming and I have to say it was a pretty blunt introduction to what looks like a definite long term relationship.

The actual storyline was very cleverly thought out and our heroine's deduction on how the "artifact" was stollen was so cleverly conceived that I have concerns about the authors past life.

The three main characters still alive at the end of the story were also cleverly constructed and have already become " real ". A remarkable achievement. And will no doubt continue to enthrall in the books to follow.

The cliff hanger ending was very cleverly left. I have no alternative but to see how the story progresses. I can already see a number of possible scenarios and I am looking forward to see if any of my ideas are right.

A big thank you to the author for a great book which I readily recommend to snyone, not only fantasy fans, who can enjoy an excellent story.
on 14 July 2013
I thought this was an alright read, though it didn't really do it for me. I don't even really know why but I finished with a bit of a 'meh.' I did enjoy the way the book played with the normal hero/romantic partner character. Often in PNR (I'm thinking Ward, Frost, etc here) the hero is some muscle-bound, leather clad, beefcake and the antagonist is the smooth-talking, well dressed, sophisticate. Both character types are present in this book, but the heroine's choice of mates is unexpected. The effect of this was that I spent the whole book waiting for the reversal, the point when the good guy suddenly reveals his betrayal and the heroine runs into the arms of the unexpectedly compassionate stoic man on the side. This never happened. It was a fun little twist and proof that sometimes it's not a matter of what's written, but what isn't that can add the most spice to a story.

But I also felt that the whole thing rolled along a little too smoothly. N. goes to great lengths to meet Elle, but we never discover how he even knew about her to begin with. We never learn when, why or how exactly he fell so deeply in love with her, unless it's just a matter of 'we're the only two like us so we should be together.' That seems pretty weak to me. There is defiantly some insta-love on Elle's part, however. Then there is Rebecca and Everett, who can blithely acknowledge Elle's burgeoning feelings and tell her to arrange to kill that person in the same conversation. Seems a little unrealistic to me. Could they really expect compliance? Elle solves the missing art case, seemingly without any clues and in the end manages to resume her life despite the coven's long standing policy of eradication against her kind. Yep, everything is resolved just a little too easily.

On a side note I also didn't find the book to match the description very well. The bad-boy werewolf is already found when the book starts and he's an overwhelmed lawyer with mother issues, not a bad boy at all. For most of the book Elle is a decidedly weak enchantress, not the darn good witch described. (In this particular story there is a divide between witches and enchantresses, so not the same thing.) And she isn't assigned back to back cases. She is an insurance agent who solves cases with a little magical assistance though and she is on the case of a missing piece of art. Maybe these are small details, but still...

Despite the above points, it was an entertaining enough read for an evening. The writing seemed fairly smooth and I didn't notice many, if any, editorial mishaps.
on 22 May 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed Witchy Business. It had fun and light moments, but also had substance. The heroine, Elle, is a witch enchantress who works for the local coven, keeping various magical creatures (werewolves, fey, and goblins) in line. She has no idea of the true extent of her power until she meets Niall, who also has enchanter powers but has learned to fully use his ability. As Elle explores her powers and her relationship with Niall, she finds a death sentence on her head and must ultimately choose a side and open herself to her full potential. Watch out when she does!
Elle's mother may be incredibly powerful in the magical world; however as an Enchantress Elle's powers are sadly lacking. She may be able to feel and manipulate the emotions of others, but Elle risks sensory overload in crowded places and lacks the power to perform the most basic of spells.

In the normal world, Elle works as an insurance investigator. Asked to handle a case involving a stolen work of art, Elle meets its owner Niall. Although she is immediately attracted to him, her somewhat friend Rebecca warns her off, and when revealing what Niall is, she insists that Elle act as bait to lure him to his death. Confused, Elle doesn't know who to trust; members of her Coven who insist that Niall is a monster intent on feeding from her or Niall himself, who claims that as an Enchantress she is far more that what her upbringing has allowed her to be.

I enjoyed the magical world and the powers wielded. I also enjoyed the ambiguity surrounding Niall; up until the last minute I was unsure if he was a hero or the bad guy in disguise. The romance heats up quickly between the leading lovers, plus the mystery surrounding what Niall is up to and the antics of Rebecca and her cohort Evert make for an entertaining read. My only complaint; Elle is clearly the only person who has no idea what is going on, and it takes her a while before she's clued into the situation.
on 8 April 2013
I loved it. It was hard to put down and the story had me gripped at every turn. I can't wait until the next installment of Elle and Niall.
Would highly recommended it. :)
on 25 June 2013
From start to finish this is a fantastic read! Everything about this book is brilliant, the fantasy, the fact it's set in the UK, the authors take on witchcraft and vampires, I cannot fault this story in the slightest! I did spot a few errors within the text, but the pull of the story soon washed them away, and I found myself smiling at the end in satisfaction.

I am so glad I came across this story.