Customer reviews

Defying Fate (The Descent Series Book 6)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.45

on 14 April 2017
This was a page turner, a mix of flashback and present reflections that explain a lot but your still left wanting more.
on 6 June 2013
I am really enjoying this series and this book finishes on the mother of all cliff hangers! I was on my laptop trying to find the next book before my kindle had gone cold.

Nice and easy to read, the complicated bits are explained the further you read, all the more reason to keep reading! I'm really enjoying this twist on some of the old mythologies and legends.
on 12 November 2014
Awesome - The whole series is fab!!!
VINE VOICEon 10 November 2013
Chapter one of "Defying Fate" reveals exactly who James Faulkner is and has been since 1993. Whereas Elise became a demon, James ended up an angel instead.

There is a need in me to try to understand something about the characters I meet in various fictional and non-fictional works. In "Defying Fate" it is easy to understand a person like Zane St. Vil. Zane is a kopis with the Union. He is of average intelligence and pleased with the power and firepower the Union brings him. He is a coward at heart and bullyish on the outside. Zane will always do what makes him seem bigger and badder than the rest and if he meets resistance he will use the greatest force possible.

Then we have a person like James. Ultimately, I know that James will do what serves James the best. But what route is he going to take? We are talking about a highly intelligent man with a devious mind and lots of power at hand. He is perfectly willing to harm the people he loves if he thinks it will serve them in the long run, in spite of him never having had the gift of prescience. A person like that is difficult to predict.

I won't pretend to understand James. His personality has so many twists and turns that I cannot follow along. I imagine part of that personality has come about because he has had to hide his nature from Elise and every other person he has met since his change. Part of it has been with him all along, but as we tend to be the sum of our parts, being an angel would have influence on some of what James does.

Nathaniel is the perfect son for him. This is one powerful kid. James needs a person who exceeds his own abilities so he can stop seeing himself as the epitome of witchcraft. In addition Nathaniel is a 12-year-old in the way that only peeved-off and disappointed 12-year-olds can be. He'd practically worshipped his father ever since he discovered who his father was. Then Nathaniel met the person behind the myths and found that James was not as glorious as he had been made out to be.

Nathaniel is like Elise in many ways. He is fiercely loyal to those he attaches himself to and he will do just about anything for them. In this case that means saving Elise. James says he cannot come along and Nathaniel pretty much says that James has nothing to say in the matter. In the end James brings Nathaniel along because a coming together of choices leaves Hannah dead. Poor Nathaniel.

Gary Zettel is a dedicated and driven leader of the local unit of the Union. He and Allyson are probably the two worst people the Union could have made kopis and apsis. The two of them together are a nuclear bomb waiting to explode. Their potential for destruction is enormous and, like James, they don't care who gets hurt along the way. Well, James cares, but he still does it. Gary and Allyson on the other hand follow the teaching of "ends justifying the means". They are also unpredictable.

With a group of people like this "Defying Fate" can only be one thing - full of thrills. My goodness, Reine writes action well and her descriptions of Malebolge are a delight. Dark, violent and crazy is what "Defying Fate" is.

[...]
on 19 June 2013
Another brilliant book and am now looking forward to getting the next one to find out will James be reunited with ellise and his son .
on 20 November 2013
This book answered all the questions from the previous ones, which makes them all make sense!
I am excited to start the last book & find out if there is a happy ending for both James & Elsie?
I've loved these books as they are not to far fetched but very detailed.
on 7 September 2013
After reading the first 3 books of the Descent Series as a freebie on kindle and finding out that I enjoyed them so much I read them one after the other within a few days, I just had to get the rest of the series. These are the first urban fantasy books I have read and I can't believe what I have been missing. The books are so addictive and as I read them straight away one after the other each book just blurred together into one big book, which is why I have done the same review for the last 4 books of the Descent Series. All I can say is that S.M Reine is an amazing author and each book is fantastic, the stories are just brilliant and the characters are great, especially Elise. I will definitely be reading more of her books.
on 10 September 2013
I can't wait to read all of these books, they're fantastic and I would recommend them to anyone. I was dubious when I saw the first 3 for free but I couldn't have been more wrong. Go on..... you know you want to read them :D
on 8 September 2013
I have spent the last 7 weeks reading this entire series and have to say it is the best most complete and compelling series of books I have ever read. From the 1st page your hooked and it becomes an obsession to find out what happens next, but it does not end with this series the books roll seamlessly into the ascension series which introduce characters from the other SM Reine books. These characters just meld straight in and are so fascinating that I now have the Cain series and the moon series to catch up on. This series is a must for anyone who likes this genre of books. Without doubt the best author out there, and will not disappoint.
on 16 September 2013
Enthralling and bewitching, it takes a lot to make me enjoy a book these days, and this series is it. I don't know what I'll do when I read the last book......please write more s m reine x x x