on 10 October 2013
There are so many good,well-written psychological thrillers out there at the moment,that it's becoming a bit difficult to find one where the twists aren't easy to spot! This was an enjoyable and,at times intriguing read,but I was hoping for one or two more surprising revelations in the last chapters,and the ending was rather disappointing. The media presenter background reminded me a little of Sabine Durrant's "Under Your Skin". And why on earth is the front cover emblazoned with the words: "Don't believe a word she says..." Why reveal one of the plot elements like that? Very strange decision.
4 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2016
This book was not what I expected. It had great reviews but I can see where the 1 star reviewers were coming from. I did finish the book as I kept thinking it would draw me back in but I must admit I skim read final bits just to keep on top of events and get it finished. The events were highly unlikely and I correctly guessed plot early on. I was not a fan of the writing style. I guess the story highlights 'There are 2 sides to every story' to be honest I'm still unsure which of the friends account I believe. I like things neatly finished in a book with no unanswered questions, this book did not do this for me.
|0Comment|Report abuse
This didn't draw me into the storyline one bit, it seemed to have the effect of plodding through mud but I did carry on with it. However, got to about 50% then I just started skimming over the pages to about 90% just to read what the ending would be, found the book all in all to be a bit of a slog, certainly not a page turner.

The only good thing was I only paid 99p for it and I would not rush to read another book from this author.
One person found this helpful
on 17 May 2015
I feel rather conflicted about this book and ideally would give it 3.5 stars. In many ways it delivered what one expects from a modern thriller, it is entertaining, easy to read and to my mind a great holiday read but it just lacked an element of believability unfortunately. I immediately worked out the connection between Rachel and Clara but I think this comes from being a voracious reader of this type of fiction as opposed to flaws on the part of the author. She writes well and the premise of the story good but I felt a little letdown at the conclusion as it all seemed really rather far fetched. Still worth a read and perfect for the beach.
on 23 May 2015
A beautifully told story that had echoes of Gone Girl for me, except that this story is all told from one viewpoint, that of the news reporter, whose best friend disappears and she initially has to cover the story. Then she discovers that her boyfriend has also disappeared. It isn’t long before her life is turned upside down as she tries to get to the bottom of what has happened to both of them. I particularly like the twist in the middle of the story. It is very slick and you realise then that the narrator is not as reliable as you might first have thought. A brilliant debut novel.
on 2 February 2015
I enjoyed this book but found the writing style very wordy/descriptive. I know you need to show not tell but I found sometimes a whole page went by not adding a great deal to the story. I liked how the story wove together & the snippets of background information on Rachel & Clara. I didn't guess their ultimate connection until very near the end which is good. It was a bit wierd but then it was a story about an unhealthy destructive relationship. It felt a little dated & I'm not sure if I'd read another by this author.
on 7 February 2015
This is a book that actually gets better the more you read and I only gave up reading it when my eyes were crossing from staring at kindle for hours . Ive read a lot of thrillers so im always looking for clues but with this one lots of surprises so glad I have found a good one , I have read hundreds over the last few years and its difficult to find a decent one I have not read . I f you like a bit of romance in with a thriller this is a brilliant read
on 21 March 2015
A real book of two halves. I found the first half a little slow. I didn't really like the unusual style of the narrative at first and couldn't really identify with the lead character. However, after the very clearly telegraphed halfway point, I really couldn't put the book down and raced through to the end. The twists came thick and fast and left me with that slightly unsettled feeling you get at the end of a great thriller.
on 6 May 2015
The friendship between two girls draws you in to what ends up being a gripping story. Fast paced as you just keep reading to find out what's going on. It'd obvious there are deeper questions and possible twists but a well written surprising read
on 22 March 2015
Five stars for this well written novel. The psychology of the friendship becomes questionable from early on and keeps the reader guessing throughout. There are always two sides to every story and the novel reveals this fact in a very clever way. I really enjoyed it.