Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

on 19 May 2013
Lori McKenna is simply one of the best two or three singer-songwriters in the world, ever. I can't believe we've had new albums from her and another of the all-time greats, Patty griffin (American Kid) released within a few weeks of each other. Getting to know these new and brilliant songs is going to be a joy this spring.
on 15 May 2013
After raising the bar with her last album 'Lorraine', Lori McKenna comes up with a stunningly wonderful offering, predominantly about relationships from the viewpoint of a small town girl, wife and mother. Not a particularly loud recording, it comes into its own if you play it loud and get the full power of Lori's lyrics and amazing voice. To think that two of the best Americana albums of the last three years are released in the same month is amazing, and to be cherished. Some wonderful songs full of anger ('Salt') and romance (' How romantic is that') and joy ('My love follows where you go') there is not a single song that falls below Lori's very high lyrical standard.

Mark Erelli, another favourite of mine for his solo work and particularly his album with Jeffrey Foucault, produces with great backing, great guitar swirls behind Lori's voice, and lends his harmonies to a number of tracks. An obvious contender for the Top Ten Lists at the end of the year, this is an outstanding and emotional experience and not to be missed (and the other great new album is Patty Griffin's 'American Kid')
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 28 May 2013
I tracked down Lori McKenna after hearing a song I liked a lot on the TV series Case Histories, googling the lyrics and trying this album. After hearing the first track, Salt, I was wondering where this woman had been all my life. It's an absolutely brilliant break-up song with fabulously original and furious lyrics, a singable tune, a lovely singing performance and a very, very good band. What more could you ask for?

The rest of the album is very good, too. It's not all of the standard of Salt, but much of it is, and songs like Smaller and Smaller, How Romantic Is That and several others are real quality stuff. Lori McKenna is a very fine songwriter with a very good voice and the ability to perform a song fantastically well and, as others have said, it is a surprise to me that she isn't far better known.

I'm delighted that I have discovered this album, and warmly recommend it to anyone who likes a good, intelligent Americana/Country song which is very well played and sung. It's terrific.

(You might also like Amy Speace's fantastic album How To Sleep In A Stormy Boat How to Sleep in a Stormy Boat.)
on 13 March 2014
Not a fan a country, but a combination of overwhelming boredom of washed out hipster indie and the stunning album cover made me buy the record and I'm pretty much listening to it constantly. It's not just for country fans; it's just pure novelty free beautifully crafted music. Gorgeous songs minus the pretensions and insincere calculated cool of many bands and singers that I listen to, each song ponders on the simply human hopes, joys, failings and fears of everyday life and ultimately comes off as more powerful and cool than so many hip critically lauded artists.
on 11 June 2013
I love Lori McKenna, having all of her albums in my collection. Unglamorous and Lorraine are permanently on my iPod, both of which containing some heartbreakingly brilliant songs, written from the unique, small-town-married-2.2 perspective that Lori's perfected. This new album isn't as good as either of those, as far as I'm concerned. It's still good, but I'm not a fan of the production, and with one or two exceptions, there's not the sense of loss and emotional force behind the writing.
on 17 October 2013
American folk and country music is so much a part of my life. Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin, Ryan Adams and Gram Parsons all essential. I'd seen reviews of Lori's music and had long planned to listen. How I wish I had so much sooner. This album is just astonishing. The lyrics are so real and honest. The music brilliantly simple and memorable. Her voice is just beautiful. It has stayed in my head since the first listen. Thank you Lori!!!
on 3 May 2013
I honestly thought that I would be disappointed with this album,because you tend to find that when you find an artist that constantly produces brilliant music, at some time you become disappointed, but that has not happened here.
Yet again Lori Mckenna has come up with the goods, Hence 5*'s [yet again].
on 8 June 2013
I bought this for my wife and she loves it. I bought a Taylor Swift album at the same time and playing them side by side demonstrates the purity and quality of Lori McKenna's voice.

If my wife is happy, then so am I!!!
on 10 July 2013
Lori McKenna has a great catalogue of music behind her and this is an excellent addition with some great songs well sung.
on 25 March 2015
Terrific album. Gets better the more you listen to it