on 7 August 2014
Summary:
Lilliana Skye is not your average teenager. Lilliana is an undercover Fairy Godmother to Jess Harrison, a descendant of Cinderella, and helping Jess is her first mission after graduating from her training. The only problem is that Jess hates Lilliana immediately and wants her gone. Jess is still grieving over the death of her eldest brother, and fears Lilliana has ill intentions with getting involved with her other brother, Jake. There is undeniable chemistry between Lilliana and Jake from the moment they meet, increasing Jess' hatred for Lilliana.

Regardless of Jess not wanting her brother and Lilliana to be together, there are strict laws forbidding the union of a human and a fairy. Despite Lilliana's best efforts, Jake, Jess and her friends are all thrown into the midst of the magic world and face a magical battle and things they never thought possible.

My Thoughts:
I honestly was on the fence about giving this 3 or 4 stars but in the end had to settle on 3.

Pros:

1. Lilliana is such a complex character and reading about her adapting to fit in was entertaining and endearing.

2. The modern twist to fairy-tales was executed well with tying this in to the Cinderella tale beautifully and realistically too.

3. I loved Jess, even though she was so full of anger at the start, her determination was admirable and her heart was definitely in the right place. She also redeems herself massively in the latter half as she shows her true nature.

4. The format of this book was quite cute; I loved the little Directives from The Fairy Godmother Training Manual that split up every few chapters.

Cons:

1. The second half may as well have been a different novel as it was so different to the beginning; even though Jess etc didn't really believe in magic, there seemed to be such a sudden shift to the magical world and the end just picked up too much pace as we were thrown abruptly into an action-packed magical battle!

2. I didn't find the humans' responses and reactions to finding out the truth about Lilliana all too believable. Jess was the only one who showed any skepticism and they all just took it in their stride as they went off with Lilliana and were with Naneth.

Overall:
I really wanted to give this book 4 stars; it really had a great story-line and wonderful characters. The modern fairy-tale genre was written in a lovely style and the general story-line held a lot of potential and was enjoyable.
However I can't ignore the confusion I felt at the end, it just felt like the book completely changed focus and what I thought was the main story-line, was in fact just a build up to the "real" one.

This is why I'm only giving it 3 stars but in regards to characters, the writing, format etc, it was all done beautifully.

I would still recommend this book to any one who loves fairy-tales or modern fantasy books. I think the blurb on this novel should be edited to give a little more notice on what the book is mainly about however.
on 3 September 2013
This book was very confusing at times but as soon as you read on you understood why the story did that. Most moments stunned me and it keeps you glued to the pages of it.
on 10 September 2013
I found this book brilliant and I would recommend it to anybody over twelve. If you like romance and teen fiction then this book is for you!
on 17 October 2015
This book was actually really enjoyable! I must admit that I didn't expect much, just a bog standard fantasy wit no real twist, however, this story was really enjoyable. The characters were interesting and, whilst the story was rather predictable, there were some unique moments (something I always love in a story!) Not to give anything away but anything with ghost frogs has to be wonderful
If you are looking for a nice light read I'd recommend this!
on 28 August 2013
The book was amazing I couldn't put it down! There were no flaw in it I wish there was a book 2!!
on 11 April 2015
Not just a fairy tale, but mystery story with a war in it's penultimate chapter. A book for everyone. It starts with a not so traditional aspect of the Cinderalla story, spiralling into a crescendo of sparkling fairies and mythical monsters where Prince Charming finds his princess. A must have for any personal and public library.
I can't wait for the next book.
on 9 November 2014
this book is so brilliantly written that it seems that you are in the story. it lets you empathize with the characters and has a very satisfying ending. this book definitely is one of my favourites along with "unenchanted" and "the Pegasus series". if you are a fantasy addict like me then you will definitely love this book!!!
on 27 November 2013
I don't do reviews, but I really enjoyed this book. It flowed well, was well written, and I really engaged with the characters.
There's definately room for a book 2, which I would love to read. I'm not a teen so I can honestly say it will appeal to most age groups.
on 21 May 2014
This book appealed to me as soon as I saw it, anything with fairies its got to be done, absolutely brilliant, great story from start to finish, couldn't put the book down, what a fantastic author!!!
on 3 June 2015
Finally a YA that live up to its potential! I loved the writing, the characters, the plot. I do hope more follow :D I paid for this book and feel that it was money very well spent.