on 29 January 2017
Why don't people who self-publish check out how proper publishers lay out their books? Why don't people who self-publish employ a copy editor?

I ordered this book hoping that it would make a good text book for a beginners' course that I about to teach. I couldn't credibly do so.

It is entirely in black and white (well, shades of grey as the printing is terrible for a photography book). There are pages where the caption appears as the only text on a white page on the reverse of the image. There are even blank pages. The font used is HUGE, presumably to cover up for the fact that there's very few words. The layout is such that there's no inner margins and the outer ones are minimal - meaning that the text disappears into the binding. There are a few images that appear to have been taken from professionally designed graphics - they are sharp and optimised for the print quality, but the vast majority of actual photographs are fuzzy - probably because of the dire printing. The prose is fluent, but there are very few sub-headings making it hard to find anything directly from the table of contents. There's no index. None of the images are credited - if they are the work of the author, then even then I'd expect this, but I doubt if the graphics are his.

There's even a typo on the back cover.

The photo attached shows an example of the words bleeding into the binding, and the caption to an image being completely disassociated from the image it refers to.
review image
on 11 October 2013
I'm a total beginner and I'm so happy I found this book with all I need in one place, comprehensive, well explained, it takes you step by step and shows what you need to know in order to start DSLR Photography.
This book was perfect for me because I don't have much time and I'm not too good at taking classes and after reading it I was actually more confident and knowledgeable. I took some amazing pictures at the weekend, the light was amazing and the focus excellent if I may say so myself.
I definitely recommend this book to all who are interested in digital photography, you will be amazed at what you can achieve and the knowledge you will gain after reading it.
on 10 July 2013
Ok book for a complete beginner, it outlines the basic principles of the dslr. I am a beginner and although I learned a few things from this book I don't think that there was anything that I couldn't have found out about on general websites on digital photography. I think it is a little over priced for the size of the read.
on 24 October 2013
It seems to have all the basic information that I would expect such a book to have, with even the photos being clearly visible, something that is often missing in Kindle books. I've not finished it yet, but its my current book, and I'm finding it easy reading, and good to understand and follow.
on 19 February 2014
I am thinking of learning some photography and I have to say my skills are not the best. I was looking for something that would take me from start to finish and I am glad I got this book. It covers everything that I need to get started on single lens reflex photography. It teaches you about lens, apertures, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity and so on in a language that I can follow well without getting lost in the complex subject of digital photography. Its amazing how you can take photos of high speed trains if you have the right shutter speed on. I highly recommended this book over the others I have bought.
on 6 April 2017
very basic has every thing I already know....ideal for a novice but not me
on 24 February 2014
I'M STILL VERY NEW TO DSLR PHOTOGRAPHY. THIS GUIDE IS JUST THE TICKET, IT STARTS OUT WITH THE ASSUMPTION THAT YOU KNOW SOME BASIC THINGS ABOUT THE SUBJECT AND YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR CAMERA OUT AND SWITCHED ON TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. BUT TRY AND BE PATIENT YOU WILL GET THERE EVENTUALLY
on 6 May 2014
This book is actually really fantastic for the price. It covers all the aspects of digital photography you could need as a beginner. In addition to how to physically operate the camera for different effects and styles it also includes information on framing shots, composition and graphic design software.
The amount of settings options available on a modern day DSLR can be daunting but this book helps break them down into individual components and their use, allowing you to understand how everything works together to create the perfect shot!
It is also handy that it's a Kindle book which means I can carry the book for reference in my camera bag whilst out and about taking photos!
All in all a great book which is exactly what it says it is... DSLR Photography for Beginners!
Highly recommended.
on 5 November 2013
As a fast introduction to digital SLR it's a good read. It doesn't claim to be anything else, so it does what it says on the tin.
on 27 January 2017
Great informative book for the beginner.