Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

I bought these (not from Amazon) recently to improve the iPlayer function on my Samsung smart TV - wifi connections that constantly dropped were driving me crazy. The setup is simple. Inside the box you'll find two adapters, two network cables, and that's pretty much it. Plug one of the adapters into the wall socket somewhere near your router, connect the plug to your router with one of the cables, then plug the other adapter in where you need it (by the TV in my case) and the network cable from the adapter to the device, and that's that - it works. The connection can be encrypted if you wish and that's a simple task - press the button on one of the adapters for one second, then go to the other adapter within two minutes and press its button, and that's all.

The adapters have two network sockets on each, so if you wish to connect two devices - say a smart TV and a games console - you can. These aren't the models that extend your wireless network though - these are just for wired connections. Each plug also has a pass-through power socket, so when you plug this into your wall you can plug something into the adapter rather than having extension leads all over the place. The adapters are large but as they're likely to be hidden behind a computer or a TV they're not intrusive, and they just have a single green LED on the front indicating if all is well. When the devices go into power save mode the lights flash slowly.

As for the issues...

The adapters claim that they offer speeds of up to 500mbps, but according to the downloadable Cockpit application (available from the Devolo website) my speed is typically between 170 and 195mbps. My house isn't huge, it's a 1920s 3-bed semi, and the adapters are upstairs and downstairs and more or less above & below each other, but maybe the speed depends on the quality of cabling etc. The speed does seem a little low but the TV works fine when streaming, so it's not too much of an issue.

Secondly the first set of adapters I bought whistled. It wasn't extremely loud (my girlfriend couldn't hear it) but reminded me of if you had a CRT monitor and walked into the room where it was switched on, and there was a quiet whistle you could just about hear. These adapters had a similar sound, and if I was in the room reading and it was quiet it was extremely distracting. I contacted Devolo and asked if the whistling was normal and they advised me that it wasn't and that the adapters should be returned, as there was a manufacturing fault. They gave me the option of returning them to Devolo or to the place of purchase, so I chose the latter and the replacements are a lot better. There's still a slight whistle or hiss which I can just about hear if the room is quiet but it's nowhere near as bad as the original ones. I asked if the fault was dangerous and I was told it wasn't, so if you have one of these and it whistles it's just annoying, not a hazard. Incidentally, if you install the Cockpit application onto a computer it gives the option of turning off the LEDs on the adapters, and I've found on mine that if the LEDs are off they seem to be a little quieter.

All in all they're a decent solution if you need to extend your wired network, but be aware that they're not as fast as advertised in my experience, and they may not be silent if you've bought one of the faulty ones, but the whistle isn't dangerous.
55 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2014
These powerline plugs make a low level, high pitched and varying whistle while in operation -- very irritating once noticed. At first I thought this was a fault with the plugs I was sent and exchanged them for new ones; but the new ones are just as noisy. Previous versions of Devolo powerline plugs that I own are completely silent.
on 27 September 2013
Bought this to replace some older Devolo dLAN units that were failing. Very easy to use, just follow the instructions and you can be up and running in under 5 minutes. Having a mains socket built into each unit is very useful, means you don't lose a socket (in my case meant I could plug straight into a wall socket, instead of into a 4-gang extension lead (which still works, but not as well). Not a blisteringly fast connection, even on BT Infinity, but this might be due to the weird wiring in my old house. It's good enough though. Using these I was also able to connect our garden office, which is 30 yards away on a separate electrical circuit; the speed wasn't great, but it was useable, and our wireless doesn't reach that far.
on 7 March 2014
This is a hard review to score. The product works great, connection is fine and the pass-through is a necessity for me. However I currently own a Netgear 200 kit and this was no faster. I'm pretty sure that this is due to my home power wiring though and not the product. I haven't owned any other 500s to test against.

So if you don't live in a new build property, don't spend the money on 500 ones - just go for the cheaper 200 versions.
on 9 November 2014
I already had the AV+ 500 wireless kit and managed to join these 2 extra units up to that very easily. I live in an apartment block and the wireless signal while advertising as strong is affected badly by all the access points nearby. We have a 40MB fibre connection and on the wireless, my speed would vary from 10MB up to 25MB. Once I networked my computers, etc with the Devolo product I now get the maximum speed for the property of around 35MB
on 31 July 2014
great brought these to replace an existing unit that died, worked straight out of the box and no compatibility issues with the other unit, didn't give 5 stars because they make a bit of a high pitched buzz/whine.
on 12 November 2013
I've been looking for a home network system for sometime, but had been put off buying due to some of the setup reviews. I purchased this, along with the Devolo dLAN 500 Duo wifi network kit to provide wireless networking to an outbuilding.

The setup instructions are easy to understand pictures, and I had the base station and wireless transmitter up and running in less than 5 minutes. The time consuming bit is having to get all the wifi devices logged on to the new network. It currently serves ipads, iphones, wii and via ethernet, a PC. No problems at all.
on 17 December 2013
Absolutely brilliant piece of kit. Very easy to install ..truly plug and play.

Initially, I was very sceptical about the speed, because the units connect main house and garage which is about 40 feet away from the house and behind a different RCD. But, I was proved wrong.

Managed to watch a HD youtube video in my garage without any buffering, felt as though I was sitting next to the router. Fantastic!
on 16 June 2014
great product, very easy to set up. no special skilled require. I bought this product because my pc and my kids pc are not wireless and they are located in my study upstairs. Prior to buying this i used a very long cable to get connected from an adjacent room with phone port. the connection was very slow, i was adviced by my provider to connect my router to the main phone port in the living room. Then, i found this product which had made the connection possible and with the pass through socket means no socket is wasted.
I will definitely recommend the product.
on 31 December 2013
I bought these after suffering horrendous packet loss over my wifi. I'm unable to put in ethernet cables, as I live in a rented house, with my pc being 2 floors away from the router. I read positive reviews of these, decided to give them a shot, and I've been very impressed.

Installation is very quick and simple, I spent more time walking between my router and pc than physically plugging stuff in. The instructions provided are pictorial, but easy to understand. Once everything was plugged in, I booted up my pc, and it immediately detected the network, with no hassle at all.

The quality of the network is brilliant, and is both fast and stable. Steam downloads at a solid 6MB/s, which is far better than the 200KB/s I was getting over the wifi. Gaming works absolutely fine, I'm averaging 40ms in League of Legends now, with very little ping fluctuation.

Simply, this was money well spent, and I'd definitely recommend them to anyone considering this sort of solution.