Top positive review
8 people found this helpful
Working fine now, but fussiness about location gave a poor start
on 9 January 2017
I bought these to extend my powerline setup and take some load off my wireless access point. My existing adapters are TP-Link devices, but I was assured they were compatible. They were, although it took me a good deal of head-scratching to figure out how to make them work together. Not the vendor's fault nor the device's -- I installed the TP-Links so long ago that I forgot my encryption settings. If you're installing this kind of thing, I guess it's easiest to do the whole system in one go if possible, or be self-disciplined and keep notes. If you need to use encryption -- and I imagine that almost everybody will -- it's worth bearing in mind that these devices won't talk to one another unless the settings match. However, the flashing red light turns green when plugged into the power when other devices are present, even though they can't communicate. I found this rather confusing when setting up.
I get about 50 Mbits/sec through these units, measured between two PCs attached to different network segments. That's a long way short of the advertised 500 Mbits/sec, but broadly compatible with what a standard fast ethernet line will give. Frankly it amazes me that manufacturers advertise a device as 500 Mbits/sec when they are fitted only with ordinary 100 Mbits/sec ethernet ports. But it seems this kind of dubious marketing is ubiquitous with this technology -- everybody does it.
These devices seem to be a lot fussier about location than my older TP-Link units are. I know that, in principle, all these powerline units like to be plugged into a wall outlet rather than some kind of extension, but I never had problems in this area with TP-Link. But even some wall outlets in my house don't work. Amazingly, the Devolo did not work when plugged into one outlet of a dual wall outlet, when there was a lamp plugged into the other. I was able to use some extension cables, but not others, and the deciding factor did not seem to be length. So it took me a while and a certain amount of cursing before I worked out how and where I could install these and have them work properly. They are working fine now, but I don't remember having these problems with the TP-Link units. Of course, perhaps I just got lucky.
Edited to add:
The speed of these devices seems to be related to the distance between them; I guess that is somewhat to be expected. In my original tests I was getting 50Mbits/sec or so between devices that were on the same mains ring. When they are on different rings, particular widely separated, then this falls to 20-30 Mbs sec. It's still better than I get from WiFi in these situations, but it's still only about one twentieth the vendor's claimed bandwidth.