Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 11 February 2016
I haven't seen this DVD yet (about to purchase), but saw him do this show last night at the Palace Theatre in London. It may be that the DVD was taken too early in the run of the show, because he seems to have polished and refined his jokes to the point where the audience (in a fairly small venue) laughed themselves silly throughout. The only people leaving the show were those leaving it until the last minute to get their last train home, and obviously leaving reluctantly and yet at a gallop. The group I went with are still repeating jokes to each other this morning and giggling. Incidentally, for those people sick of shows being dumbed down for the lowest common denominator - you will love this one, as it assumes you speak good French and German and are fairly cosmopolitan. What a delight! Maybe I can wangle another ticket to see again, as you cannot beat the live experience.
on 23 June 2015
I saw force majeure live at San Francisco last week. Eddie Izzard used to be one of my favorite comedians in college because of his ability to make incredibly witty jokes about historical events. Unfortunately, this show reminded me of those instances where someone is talking about their opinions and issues, and you really want to end the conversation because its uninteresting but you feel bad for leaving.

Many times it was too random and absurd to be funny. He is so much more random than before, meaning his absurdity has no connection to anything. He started making chicken sounds because the chicken was someone's military advisor, and clicking sounds because a dolphin was another person... it was just randomly made up with no wit behind it, so it wasn't funny. I found myself zoning out a lot because of that.

At least with the DVD you can turn it off. At the show, people were leaving early and there were some instances when it became really quiet. One instance was when it was the end of the show and everyone was clapping. For some reason, I guess he thought it was an encore. He started talking again and it became really quiet. He made a comment like "I guess I should bugger off" and everyone felt bad and was like "no, no..." Anyways, I feel sad for him. I really don't know what happened.
on 6 February 2014
Eddie is amazing! Unlike most of the comedians today who tell jokes about their everyday lives Eddie has a set, if it's your first experience of Eddie Izzard then id recommend you watch his earlier stuff first! All very very very funny! Then watch this!
on 16 February 2014
Quite how Eddies' mind works is almost beyond me, but the end product is very cleaver and very funny. With two dvd's and good booklet this excellent VFM and when I win the Lottery I am treating my husband to a visit to Eddie's Taylor. (brilliant suit).
on 6 May 2016
Popular surrealism requires gig after gig of success and failure, years of honing in order to produce what seems like perfect improvisation. Unfortunately for Izzard and others they have become victims of their own success. No longer needing to schlep around the small clubs they can go straight to sell out large venue gigs and audiences lap it up - this means they basically perform their first draft. This makes for sloppy and slow material which can make you chuckle now and then but has nothing of their true comic genius. Disappointing - Izzard is one of the best comic minds alive but he is not applying it here!
on 1 December 2013
Having twice seen Eddie Izzard live (first in 1994) I came to this disc hopeful he might be able to recapture the magic of his earlier shows, sadly though Force Majeure is a shadow of those routines.

The entire show plays as though Eddie Izzard is doing an impersonation of himself, with his stylized way of talking being the main focal point, rather than the content, which is simply not that funny.

Although only available on VHS and originally performed over 20 years ago, Live at the Ambassadors remains a classic in stand-up routines that merits repeated viewing. Through the years Eddie's stand-up shows seem to have lost something of what made them unique, but the world will always be richer in the knowledge that when you hear a cat purring from behind the sofa they are in fact....(I couldn't spoil the joke).
on 2 April 2014
Saw this live then also bought the disc for the missus as she's a massive fan. I'll probably join hundreds of others who prefer the early work. I'm getting a bit bored of the whole bible/monarchy/tv material. Not sure there's anything new due to his personal style.. which is great at times. I'm sure Mrs Crabtree gets a mention on this.. which sums it up.
Good show - a bit of fun, but like most stand-up, how many times can you watch it? Buy if at a reasonable cost.
(better than sexie in my opinion)
on 2 December 2013
Bought this to keep my collection of Izzard DVD's going. actually thought the DVD was better than the live concert as it has extras. I am a big Eddie fan but think he is coming to the end of the line if he does another concert like this one.
on 2 April 2015
And now for quite the opposite.
I thought Eddie Izzards days of being really funny had passed, but this is a return to form, and I've been sat here giggling away to the irrelevance like a fool looking at jam made out of old twigs and spit.
If you're sensitive to religious nonsense then yes you may find it a bit pointed, however if you're open minded you'll laugh along as he reintroduces a bunch of old characters and chaos ensues!
I really felt that this was getting back towards the heights of Definite Article and Unrepeatable, and I gone over all warm, fuzzy, and nostalgic.
on 24 February 2014
We saw this show at the NIA in Birmingham. We're both longtime Eddie fans, bit came away a bit disappointed. Looking back, it seems his career highpoint was "Dress to Kill".