on 7 August 2015
FABULOUS!
My first discovery of Escobar's writings......, life has changed for the better ever since. Having devoured all his publications on Amazon (Kindle) since, including months of excited and frustrated anticipation during the waiting period of pre-ordering, I can hardly wait for more of his delightful work.
Being a 'Weegie in Exile', it's such a delightful reminder of my pubescent and later years growing up and behaving badly in Glasgow.

It made me feel I'd lived, ate , and slept ( where appropriate :-)) with all the characters.

This review applies equally to Sideways Movers (I've copied it there), and can't wait for more !
2 people found this helpful
on 14 July 2016
It's OK, and the writer has got some talent but.......he spends far too much time trying to ape Irvine Welsh in this book. The chapters are all written in the first person (ala Weslh Trainspotting, et al) and the language is suitably gutter tripe, but it just feels exactly what it is - contrived and a poor imitation. As I say, the writer does have talent, but he'd be better off developing his own style rather than blatantly, and poorly, mimicking someone else's.
on 28 July 2016
You will never look at a Thomas Cook brochure the same way ever again. A witty book that has you visiting some of Glasgow’s more scenic locations and will have you judging people by their postcode and Trongate leatherwear also the potential for a gangland masters leaves you wanting to know how to steal a car. Can I interest you in some double glazing?
on 23 September 2013
Not a bad debut. I'm a big fan of Irvine Welsh (having read all of his books) and it was this comparison in previous reviews that drew me to the book. The story is good and the characters are brought to life well. There's also an injection of humour (albeit fairly dark) which gave me a few laugh out loud moments along the way.

Unfortunately, whilst the book started strong, I felt it somewhat rushed towards the end. The conclusion seemed abrupt to me and there were elements of the story that I'd like to have seen brought to conclusion.

Another gripe is the fact that the book (Kindle edition) hasn't been proofed well at all. There's missing words, grammatical mistakes (forgiving the intentional ones) and spelling mistakes that whilst forgiveable at first, get more annoying as you progress through the book. Proofed properly I'd have probably given it 4 stars rather than 3.
on 25 April 2017
If you've never read anything like this before (like me), then it's a bit of a shock to begin with. The language is about as hard as it gets, and the Glasgow accents can be difficult to keep up with. Nevertheless, it turns into a fun read with a bit of a shock at the end; I'll have to read the second book now after all!
on 26 July 2017
A filthy, funny and in parts sad book. Some very realistic observations on life and the people living it in recent times. All in all a great start to the trilogy. I look forward to carrying on with the next two. A very funny read
on 27 October 2014
A brilliant opening (pun noted) and a cracking read for those not easily offended by graphic Glasgow humour. At less than two notes, it's a steal and safer than buying gas lighters (four furra pound) on Argyle Street. I fully recommend this book, and I'm already looking forward to the next installation.
on 1 April 2017
Story really good and fairly original. The spelling and grammatical errors were in the dozens though.
|11 Comment|Report abuse