Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 17 January 2013
GOD-DANG!!! A fantastic debut album. It should make any fan of Pavement
(and especially the "Slanted and Enchanted" album)as happy as a squirrel
in a barrel of nuts.

Maybe some of my enthusiasm for Parquet Courts is fuelled by my love for
all things Pavement, and even though songs like "Careers in combat" and
"N Dakota" could be mistaken for Malkmus compositions, Parquet Courts
are no copycats. They bring their own flavor to the table, and this
excellent collection of short and sharp songs about sex, food, drugs
and loneliness gives me some of the same excitement as hearing "is this
it?" by The Strokes for the first time.

Recommended songs: Master of my craft, Borrowed time, Yr no stoner,
Careers in combat, Stoned and starving, Disney P.T.

Some parts Pavement, some parts Wire, some parts The Spider Bags,
some parts Guided By Voices, some parts The Fall, some parts Strokes.

All parts Parquet Courts - New York City Punk Rock at its finest.
on 24 May 2016
Got this after reading a feature on this band to get a heads up. As the old adage goes 'keep it simple' & so it goes here. Nothing flash, just honest punk riffage with arch lyrics. Love their life philosophy as well, no social networking, no crap! Early Talking Heads spring to mind.
on 24 July 2013
I thought the album was great . The lyric writing was very clever and bits were a bit odd and random . The sound sounded like a mix between Punk and New Wave . The guitar playing was just out of this world.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 July 2016
This album has me grinning from the opening bars to the finale. It's fast paced cramming its fifteen tracks into less time than it takes me to get to work in the morning, but I arrive happier for it. It grinds out tuneful riffs and driving bass lines matched with sharp sardonic lyrics. You think you can pick out different influences - I think of it as a kindred spirit of The Pixies - but it is totally its own.
on 13 February 2013
A lovely warm album you can listen to all the way through (remember how albums were when we were kids!) like pavement playing the strokes
on 5 June 2014
Got this CD from the US in January 2013, and it stayed in my CD player the whole year! This was the sound of 2013 for me. There is not a bad track on here, from beginning to end it is great. Instantly accessible and enjoyable, but rewarding in the long run as well. The first half is full of short, sharp slices of punk, full of hooks and pounding rhythms. The second half is more sedate, but doesn't suffer for it. The outstanding 'Stoned & Starving' is one of the best tracks ever in my opinion, while album closer 'Picture of Health' is beautifully melancholy in atmosphere. The lyrics are smart and funny, the guitars are punchy and full of reverb and feedback. If you like any sort of punk/rock/indie this album is well worth a listen.
on 14 May 2013
Light up gold is a fun and energetic album, and as another reviewer on here so aptly pointed out it does indeed bring to mind the glory days of both Pavement and the Strokes, along with The Fall and The Van Pelt.

However, it really does not justify being hailed as the greatest guitar album of the decade or the band(more ridiculously)being called the new saviours of rock. It just goes to show what a dire state the indie guitar world is in when the slightest sniff of anything exciting is expected to change the face of music as we know it.
These guys are probably laughing themselves silly at such claims.

The main problem I personally have with this album (and I'm sure the hipsters will be out for my blood) is it simply runs out of steam. The second half of the album is fairly dull and low on ideas.
Perhaps it would have made for a good EP but as an album it tends to just drag.

Still, the strong tracks "Master of my Craft", "Stoned and Starving" and "Borrowed Time" are an enjoyable breath of fresh air, and at half an hour running time it's almost certainly worth a LOUD listen. Just don't expect too much.
55 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2013
This album has an energy and dynamism I haven't felt in a long, long time. As I've said, it takes me back to being 19 or 20, hearing Pavement's Summer Babe for the first time. Many people may say it's derivative but any band that can transport me back to some of the most exciting days of my life must be doing something right.
on 27 January 2013
From the velvet underground to the Modern Lovers to the strokes, out American cousins sure know how to do garage rock better than anybody else. This album is a pure blast of rocking tunes, the opening track sets the tone for the rest of the album basic drums dirty guitars and sneering vocals. Parquet Courts have gone to the Adam Green and pixies school of music sharp and short tunes, apart from the longer paranoid filled song stoned and starving . The most fun album I've heard in years. Like this band track down a band called Harlem
on 6 August 2013
Fantastic guitar band, this album is packed with fab tunes. 2013 has been a great year for new music but amongst all the excellent releases so far this is the freshest band i've heard.