Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.59

"Shameless Fashion",the new Visage single, transports me back to the beginning of the 80s, I was 15 and every record I heard seemed to be a classic. This isn't the bright synthy pop of "Mind Of A Toy" and "Fade To Grey" but the bold dark pop of its follow-up "The Anvil". Now like then Strange uses slabs of guitar and riffs to drive the synth beat along. The first two Visage albums were light and dark; the second was harder, meaner and moodier, both in subject and execution. "Shameless Fashion" could easily be from the "Anvil" sessions.

Steve's voice doesn't seem to have the range it once had - or maybe the verses are a little low for him - but that aside this really is vintage Visage. All the ingredients are there.

I was pleased to hear Graham Norton play this on his show on Saturday and he was spot on when he said that old Visage fans may think that it's an old unreleased track. It's that authentic, that Visage. Stunning.

Welcome back Steve, we've missed you.
on 20 May 2013
The single is pretty catchy, with some noce guitar and bass synths, and Steve's voice generally cuts it fine (even if a lower register than he is usually comfortable with during the verses). Whilst some are wary that only Steve (and Mr Barnacle) have returned for this guise of Visage this track could easily have been from either of the first 2 albums, it's pure Visage!

The icing on the cake with this single release is the Extended Mix, which keeps to the original but adds loads of breaks and effects, coming in at just over 7 minutes. It's great to have a mix like this, as too many 80s acts are solely relying on trendy remixers for their single releases, who generally lose all the feel of the original (so only occasionally hit the mark for domestic listeners/fans). Having said that the John B mix is also strong, as he contributes to the original in other ways too, with its leaning towards a more electro/techno vibe. The other chorus langauage versions are a bit of a gimmick, but at least the band are trying something a little different.

Can't wait for my copy of the CD album!
on 10 May 2013
After 29 years Visage finally return with a new single (and album) and Steve sounds great. And to have Robin Simon on board is the icing on the sythpop cake!
If you're a Visage fan you will NOT be dissapointed with "Shameless Fashion". There are no less than 10 (!) versions here and some great remixes too. Superb value :)
Anyway, the tracklisting on Amazon is wrong. Here's the correct racklisting for the CD single:-

1. Original - 4:27
8. Japanese Version - 4:27
9. Instrumental - 4:27
10. Radio Edit - 3:34
on 25 May 2013
CD Single the Foreign language versions are a bit of a rip, a couple of words (literally) changed from English to the appropriate language! Song is good though.
on 27 May 2013
I remember hearing Fade To Grey for the first time and I was like a rabbit in the headlines, in my memory it was the first electronic song you could dance to. It sounded so fresh and when I saw the video, I was hooked. Hearing Shameless Fashion gave me a real rush, I was hoping Visage wouldn't be another band cashing in with a weak pastiche of former glories and I have to say I am ashamed for even thinking it, this sounds so up to date I could imagine young people feeling the same way I felt when I first heard them. Thanks for keeping your integrity Visage,
on 13 May 2013
Firstly thank you D. Turner for giving us the correct track listing for the single, with this information I have just ordered myself a copy. I could have ordered this through the Visage shop but postage was £2.20, here it's free & the single is 19p cheaper!!!
I was never a huge fan back in the 80's but like everyone else I adored Fade To Grey. This new single for me is up there with their very best material. Having Robin Simon on guitar is pure genius, his guitar on this track is excellent.
I don't agree with the review of this being described as a pub rock song at best. True it's not going to dent the charts or make Steve Strange the comeback God, but it's a good song. That of course is my opinion & everyone is entitled to theirs, but to me I don't understand a really bad negative one.
This single is the perfect taster for the album which I can't wait for. I hope this single & album give Visage the recognition that they truly deserve!
Final point, the Visage line-up has always changed with each album so this is never going to be just a Steve Strange solo type thing. It is Visage, ENJOY!!!
on 6 September 2015
one of the best songs from the new lp !
on 17 May 2013
OH I LOVE WHEN THESE SUPER GROUPS ARE RETURNING BACK AND SHOWS THAT THE PAST HAD SUPER GROUPS SOMETHING THAT THERE IS NO LONGER
on 24 September 2015
Thanks
on 12 May 2013
Another eighties comeback, another pointless release. As to calling it Visage Steve Strange alone does not make it Visage as this track clearly shows. It sounds like a covers band performing a Duran Duran b-side. Badly.
44 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse