Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

I tried this debut album by Kacey Musgraves because it has created a considerable stir in the USA and is attracting a lot of attention here, too. I'm delighted that I did because it is excellent and well worth all the fuss made of it.

Musgraves has created a country album of very good songs with lovely, singable tunes, nice harmonies and a good variety of moods. She has a fine voice, she can put a song across very well and her band are excellent - solid, sensitive and restrained much of the time which lends more power to the songs than over-the-top performance and production.

What really makes this album stand out, though, is Musgraves' lyrics. There are a number of reasonably conventional love songs and lamentations of a broken heart, all well done and enjoyable, but she also thoroughly subverts most of the attitudes inherent in much country music. She sings of the hypocrisy and small-minded bitchiness of small town life. I truly admire the guts and independence of mind it must have taken for a young Texas woman to write country songs with lines like:
"It don't matter if you don't believe,
Come Sunday morning you'd better be there in the front row
Like you're supposed to..."
(in the excellent Merry-Go-Round), or for her to write a song about wanting uncommitted sex in It Is What It Is (which her grandmother apparently insists on calling The Slut Song) which, if written and sung by a man would raise few eyebrows but quietly and brilliantly undermines the hypocrisy in attitudes to women and sex.

I especially like that Musgraves somehow manages to do all this with a wit and a warmth of heart which means that the album is anything but a prickly polemic and is a pleasure to listen to. I laughed out loud when I first heard the opening of the fabulous Follow Your Arrow:
"If you save yourself for marriage you're a bore;
You don't save yourself for marriage you're a who-o-o-rrible person..."
which is beautifully delivered and works perfectly in a Texan accent. It's a great song and there are others on the album which are just as good.

A few people really stand out from the slew of quite good country/Americana recordings at the moment. Kacey Musgraves is one of them. I think this is a terrific album and recommend it very warmly indeed.

(P.S. If you like this you may also be interested in How To Sleep In A Stormy Boat, another intelligent and musically fine album by Amy Speace How to Sleep in a Stormy Boat.)
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2013
Now not all the songs on this album are as good as the next one but for a big label debut 'Same Trailer, Different Park' shows the many sides of the talented Ms Musgraves. Her groove, which I first noticed as the co-writer to 'Undermine' - stand out song on the first TV Series of ABC's/More4 @Nashville - lets her move away from the consequence songs of country to modern day concerns of low paid but aspirational women ('Blowin' Smoke') to the problems of finding companionship & love in 'It Is What It Is'.

Using this to discover modern female country singers who are not the victims of yesteryear like Brandy Clark, Miranda Lambert.....loving it and I think others will too.
on 15 April 2013
I found out about Kacey Musgraves by chance on 'Little Big Town's' facebook page a few weeks & thought I'd checkout some of her songs on Spotify & loved her voice instantly. I've heard talk that she is the next big thing in country music & after listening to the album I can why.

I really love all the songs on the album they have a catchy country beat & lyrics. There is one or two songs which may grow on me a little.

5 of my Favorite Tracks on the album:
Merry Go 'Round
It Is What It Is
Silver Lining
My House
on 14 May 2013
Very impressed with this high quality debut. Superb lyrics, arrangement and overall high quality production. There are some very original aspects and personality that show through and are often the signpost to an artist with a long career ahead of them but by the same token there are some homely familiarities also. I find that there are sentiments this album similar to the work of 'Little Big Town', but with a more Americana/folk feel to the arrangements similar to Carrie Rodriguez and Kacey's voice is, whilst very much her own, reminds me of a young (sorry, younger!) Cheryl Crow, especially on the track 'Blowin' Smoke'. All of which are not bad things by any means. In fact, that's like mixing some of my favourite ingredients together and making a pretty nice little cake. I would love to hear her perform a disjointed, love/hate, duet with someone like Hayes Carll.

If you like any of the artists mentioned above then I wouldn't hesitate to give it a spin.
on 10 December 2014
Bought as a Birthday Present for my Dad.

He loved it.

If you're a fan of this type of Country Music you'll love it and she has a lovely voice.

A definite five star must buy.
on 13 January 2015
Listened to this album through my headphones last night and l was totally blown away by it.Beautiful voice and excellent lyrics with a bit of country but do not be put off by that she is a star in the making.Fresh something new and different l first saw her at Glastonbury festival.
on 16 April 2013
First heard her on Bob Harris's country music show and thought i'd give her a try. Wasn't disapointed, exelent lyrics great voice, well worth the money.
on 8 November 2014
The New Star! Lacey Musgraves has taken the country world by storm and recently won a CMA award for best single. I really enjoyed this CD and would recommend anyone who likes a bit of country to give it a go! 'My House' is a particular favourite of mine!
on 14 February 2015
Discovered Kacy from listening to one of her songs on BBC Radio 2 at work. I'm not a fan of country music, but her hard hitting unapologetic truth and the country sounds go great together. Great easy listening.
on 21 November 2014
I am not a Country &Western fan. But I heard about this young lady on the telly and am hooked on her music. The realism of her lyrics is refreshing and I will consider buying some of her back catalogue.