Customer reviews

Emily's Legs: Gripping Tales
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 25 January 2018
Good humour, life lessons, educational, (life of spiders) Grandson became extremely cross when poor Emily was picked on........! but was pleased with the happy ending.
on 16 January 2013
A first class childrens' book full of gentle humour. Lovely line drawing illustrations enhance the story. Suitable foe children up to 11 years.
on 7 May 2015
classic story for younger children
on 7 February 2016
One of Dick King Smith's best!
on 11 June 2015
Easy to read, a good adventure and a lovely wonderful, sloppy, romantic happy ending. What is not to like! 🔰
on 8 August 2014
My 7yr old loved this book and thought the ending was great and she can't wait to read the next Dick King-Smith book.x
Top Contributor: Children's BooksTOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 December 2015
I remembered this vividly from childhood and found a library copy to share with my son. He's not a reader yet, so I read it to him. We could easily have read it in one bedtime, and a child who can read will manage in a couple of sittings.

In four chapters, King-Smith tells the tale of Emily, the spider who wins all the Spider Races and discovers it's because she has not eight but TEN legs! Rejected by her parents and siblings, she ends up being sucked up by a hoover... will she ever find someone who accepts her for who she is?

My son was horrified at Emily's brothers and sisters chasing her and threatening her, and his eyes grew wide as the Hoover drew nearer... I had forogtten that at the end (*spoiler*!!!!) Emily finds herself fairly normal and her new friend James does not need to accept her for being different, but my son and I still liked the happy ending for Emily.

As an adult reading this aloud, I enjoyed the natural history, the humour of Emily's mum and dad's situations, the anthropomorphism of the Spider Races.

It's a great length story for the age group, a good story to hold their interest with an engaging heroine.
on 25 March 2009
This book has 46 pages, so it is not as long as other chapter books. It will take you about half an hour to read. The most interesting characters are Emily's ferocious mum and her tiny and grumpy dad. The parts I liked the best is when Emily's brothers and sisters were being rude to her. The weak bit of the story is when Emily's mum finds out she has 10 legs, after she wins all the sports day races. The book was unputdownable because once you start reading it you want to hear the rest.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 March 2000
'Ive read this book ten times.I thourght this book was really gripping. Once you start it it is difficult to stop reading.It's good for people who are slow readers. This book is about a spider who had ten legs instead of eight legs .She keept on getting jealous of her sisters and brothers and her sisters and brothers keep on picking on Emily so she ran away...
14 people found this helpful
on 12 January 2015
This book begins with Emily winning all the races. Next we find out she is not an ordinary spider. In the end she is sucked up by a Hoover but will Emily survive? It is my favourite story but if there is one thing I would change it would be to give Emily even more legs. I would definitely recommend this book to a friend.