Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Handmade Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

Norwegian singer/songwriter Susanne Sundfor pulls out all the stops
with her new album 'The Silicone Veil'. Epic songs for a truly epic
voice. This young woman has a fine set of pipes with the kind of upper
register which makes the blood course faster through our veins and sweat
break out on our brows. These ten tracks have a haunting pulsating presence;
their mesmerising melodic inventions and densely brooding beats framing
vocal performances of quite extraordinary intensity. With nods here and
there to seventies prog-rock and a curiously folksy undertow these songs
have an almost organic quality which lingers magically in our mind's ear.

Take a number like 'Can You Feel The Thunder', a simply stunning composition,
where a rolling piano line and iridescent string arrangement hold Ms Sundfor's
glorious voice aloft like sun breaking through billowing storm clouds. The
instrumental interlude, 'Meditation In An Emegency', which follows maintains
the sublime mood until the grinding riff and driving percussion of 'Among Us',
with its complex harmonies, hits us like a hammer blow between the eyes!
'Rome' is another perfectly-wrought sonic wonder, full of echoing otherworldly
rhythms, shimmering synths and a vocal turn bursting with deftly articulated
emotion. So too the sublimely simple but bewitchingly uplifting introduction
to title title track 'The Silicone Veil' which employs a gently plucked harp to
stunning effect until the full force of the central melody sweeps us clean away.
Best of all, perhaps, is the plaintive 'When'; a song to warm the coldest heart!

A remarkable achievement. The album is deservedly destined for my year's top ten.

Essential.
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2013
Like at least one other reviewer here, I came to this CD via an interview with Dermot O'Leary and one song, the astonishing and almost operatic White Foxes. I still remained unprepared for a glorious collection balancing electronica, piano, harp and more. The fusion strikes me as quite unique, thus rendering the search for a comparable artist as a reference point redundant. My album of 2012 (and I thought I hated electronica!)
on 21 May 2016
... and unique is probably the only simple way to describe this album.
If you like a great deal of what lies from drum and bass to Sibelius and Britten - I do - then this album will bowl you over. So why only 4 stars? Because I suspect that too few people will enjoy it through it's entirety.
on 7 March 2016
I haven't enjoyed a new album as much as this for years. The first time through was such a brilliant experience I had to sit through it again straight away to see if it was really that good. It was. It was just that I hadn't been prepared for the sounds, the arrangements of the breathtaking songs. By far her best album. The combinations of strings, synths and vocals is distinctly hers and I don't understand why she isn't a household name. (Sorry - she is, in Norway.)
on 6 February 2016
I first heard Susanne Sundfor on the sound track of the film "Oblivion". her voice was mesmerising so I decided to look into her music. I had heard of the silicon veil album so I took a chance and bought it. I would describe her music as new age electronica with elements, in the same vein as Bauhaus and other euroelectronica with her unique voice, she reminded me of a Scottish brother and sister band I listened to in the 1980s, unfortunately I cant remember their name or album title. I find her music very relaxing and will buy more of her work. Dreamlike quality...
on 8 November 2013
Thank you BBC trailer department for using White Foxes on the `Original British Drama trailer' as I might have otherwise never come across this incredible talent, and that would have been tragic.. Okay, OTT maybe, but Susanne Sundfør is one of those artists that makes you feel excited for the medium of music and song. She crafts works that are dense and complex, weaving a constantly changing tapestry of sound, yet they remain accessible and instantly rewarding, however, repeated plays gives the greatest reward, as the songs sink into your soul. Her voice has control, range and power, that is guaranteed to make the hairs on the back of your neck tingle

The Silicone Veil is one of those albums you want to play again as soon as its finished and is nothing short of a triumph... I hope, like me, the BBC trail brings her a new audience, and the recognition she deserves outside of her home country.
on 22 October 2014
Susanne can do no wrong, my best personal musical discovery since Ladytron. Is it for you? have a look on Youtube where there's plenty of her stuff before writing an irrelevant review about her albums (you know who you are you numpty)
on 16 November 2012
I bought the cd after hearing Susanne Sundfør interviewed on the Dermot O'Leary show and him playing one song and I'm so glad I did. I love her voice and the electro pop element of some of the tracks, which surprised me having only heard White Foxes, and the haunting melody of others. However, my partner thinks it's 'ok' and my teenage daughters think it's 'just weird'! Definitely an acquired!
on 28 January 2014
My wife asked for this for Yule after hearing the White Foxes track used by the BBC. This CD is very different and takes a few serious listens to really get into it, but this is well worth the effort. Initially White Foxes is the stand out track, but that is only due to the familiarity, once you are into the CD all of the tracks are of the same high quality.

Simply put, we all love this CD, go on give it a try!
on 20 March 2014
I would like to put this album forward for your consideration, a beautiful voice, quite unique and crystal clear.
Great songwriting, well worth adding to your music collection. Enjoy.
Deano.