Customer reviews

on 1 April 2017
Cracking Story.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 June 2013
THE BETRAYAL OF FATHER TUCK (OUTLAW CHRONICLES) Angus Donald Kindle Edition

I have been an avid collector of books and films about Robin Hood for close to sixty years and believe that at some point I have probably read every book, fact or fiction about the legendary English hero, including juvenile fiction and some offerings that have been immediately consigned to the waste paper bin.

I bought Mr.Donald's first book `OUTLAW' as soon as it was published and have awaited each new addition to the series, which I personally believe is one of the best modern series of novels to feature Robin Hood as the central character.

It was however, with some trepidation that I ordered the two recent additions to the series `THE RISE OF ROBIN HOOD' and `THE BETRAYAL OF FATHER TUCK' as I am not overly fond of short stories. I need not have been concerned; both of these short narratives are add-on prequels to previously published full volumes and are of the same quality of writing and as gripping as the major novels of this excellent series.

The first, `THE RISE OF ROBIN HOOD' immediate precedes the volume `OUTLAW' and tells the tale of how Robin came lead his community of outlaws and to rule Sherwood Forest. The story is told in the same gritty style which has featured throughout Angus Donald's writing, no holds barred, realistically violent and down to earth and establishes this author's Robin as the new anti-hero of the historical genre.

The second novella is `THE BETRAYAL OF FATHER TUCK' and tells in details the events surrounding the defence of Locksley Castle by Tuck and Marie-Anne against Robin's arch enemy Sir Ralph Murdac. This story immediately precedes, KING'S MAN the third volume of the `Outlaw Chronicles' and again maintains the consistently excellent quality of this series.

Both stories are well worth the reading and fine additions to the `Outlaw Chronicles' and I look forward to more teasers of this type between the major volumes.

Both Kindle downloads contain a short excerpt from the following novel.

The Kindle editions are professionally produced as I found no flaws or editing issues. 5/5
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 April 2013
Once again Angus gives a us a short story that leaves the reader wanting more, At the end of this short story is an extract from Kings man and it took a HUGE amount of reading will power not to go and re-read that book.
This short story gives us a prelude to Kings man, Some further character background is filled, and we get a more intimate view of Tuck and Marie. The portrayal of Lord Edwinstowe is really good, the boorishness of the man, but the ultimate honour of family shining through.
Tuck is always one of my fav characters, a big man, honest as they come, pious only when it suits, and very dangerous to get on the wrong side of.
All in all i defy anyone to read this and not be reaching for Kings Man, the sign of a great story teller is that they leave you wanting more, happy with the experience but never full.

Outlaw (Outlaw Chronicles)
Holy Warrior (Outlaw Chronicles)
King's Man (Outlaw Chronicles)
Warlord (Outlaw Chronicles)
Grail Knight (Outlaw Chronicles)
The Rise of Robin Hood (Outlaw Chronicles)

Every book Highly recommended

(Parm)
VINE VOICEon 20 April 2013
This short story helps position things prior to the start of the third book in the excellent Outlaw Chronicles,"King's Man".

It is the story of how Tuck and Marie-Anne have to defend Kirkton Castle against Ralph Murdac who has announced that Robin is dead and that he will take Marie-Anne as a wife. It is short but there are enough pages to show Marie-Anne's determination and the character and loyalty of Tuck. Tuck knows their position is poor unless he does something he has promised not to do.....

It ends slightly abruptly which would have been a let down for the reader, but the author cleverly provides the opening chapters of King's Man so you can see how things conclude.

An entertaining filler and nice glimpse into some of the characters we know so well.
on 17 May 2013
far to short. not value for money. although the story was good and I had already read the series so it was very dissappointing
on 28 October 2015
People may say far too short, not value for money ?? what planet are they on , if it was on paper it would cost more to print and send this than it does to download it and it is in its own right a great little short story that gives more of an insight into Tuck , the only problem I have is I needed to get another family member to download it for me as I do not own a pad .99p ..if it was twice as much it would still be great value for this much entertainment
on 15 June 2013
I enjoy this short story as much as all the books in the outlaw series. Well done again Mr Donald
on 19 April 2013
The rise of Robin Hood was good,but The Betrayal of Father Tuck is very good indeed.We not only get Tuck the man of the cloth,but Tuck the military man,add this with humour (look out for Lady Edwinstowe)and a feisty Marie-Anne,all topped off with great action and we have a gem of a story.Angus Donald on top form.
on 4 June 2013
Nice little story, expanding our knowledge of Marion, Tuck and Robin's brother.

Rather short, however, and bear in mind that a reasonable chunk of it is a chapter from the next book- which you probably already own!

I feel 0.99 would be a fair price, but I don't really begrudge the extra 50p
on 30 May 2013
I have read all the books in this series and was hooked from the start. the two short stories which Angus Donald has released certainly put some meat on to the creation of some of the characters. if I have a criticism the stories were even shorter than I imagined they would be