on 6 June 2013
I'm very new to Python and was looking for a language I could learn that is portable across platfroms. Being an experienced programmer this was more 'Python in a couple of hours' for me, but for somebody very new to programming this is a cute little intro to the world of Python.

There are a couple of little issues though. The installation chapter: I noticed that it seems to refer to version 2.7.3, whereas I had already installed version 3.x. Some of the example didn't work. For example, the print statement seems to insist in brackets, so >>> print x (no good), >>> print (x) (OK). Similarly the built-in raw_input() function, I discovered, is superseded by input(). As I had skipped this chapter I missed the reference to version 2.7.3.

Overall a gentle introduction to Python. Suddenly the prospect of learning a new programming language doesn't seem so daunting.
on 22 April 2015
Learned the basic syntax and concepts covered in this book in a few hours. Does exactly what it says it will, gives you real-world working examples and walks you through them, then challenges you to produce code for a similar task. You'll surprise yourself.

In fact, I'm going to do a quick refresher today.

I'll be using this to keep my skills up to speed for years to come. I occasionally have to produce production code too complex to comfortably spin up in shell script, but not often enough to be 100% confident without a little run-up first. There are also many many IDE's available for free on many platforms for python, which make the whole process even more palatable.

Useful for complete beginners up to occasional power users alike.
on 14 December 2013
Its ok but the ad implies more. Buy it as a first book if you have no previous experience. Then save up for a proper book.
on 8 November 2013
Bought this as a reasonably competent PHP programmer who wanted to try out Python as so many organisations seem to be using it.

This book is intended for people who have never really done any programming before, so it spends lots of time explaining fairly standard programming tools such as for/next loops, whereas I was looking for something that simply explained the python approach to these tools.

And then when I thought we'd get to the more interesting bits, the book ended.

If you've never programmed before then I can see value in this book, if you have some previous programming experience, use an online primer instead.
on 27 September 2016
This is absolutely perfect for an complete beginner. I purchased this a long time ago and as I'm not a frequent python user I still occasionally reference it.

Can't recommend enough.
on 14 January 2014
very pleased with book very clear instructions and you jump straight into programming on the first chapter. The book was not too expensive and is good for a reference book.
on 3 August 2013
This is a must get book even for those of you that have no experience in programming.
It is straight to the point and concise.
Of course I've seen other books but this tops it all keeping it short, quick and not boring at all.
It is also very basic so this is covering the fundamental parts of Python.

For those of you that are experienced programmers, this is on version 2.7x.
on 14 November 2013
This book is very insufficent with the content and very thin. I got disappointed when i received this and saw how small and thin it was.

An hour of googling python basics would be more helpful than purchasing this item.

I definitely don't recommend it.
on 31 March 2013
What a book . Very easy to follow with some great ideas which helped me enormously. Good value for money and highly recommended for anyone interested in Python.
on 20 September 2014