on 4 March 2014
I'm into the whole alternative fairy tales scene at the moment, so when Amazon reccomended the other books in the series, I was able to dig this one up.

This is a pretty enjoyable book. It puts a new spin on the classic tale of Cinderella and does so in a very enjoyable manner. (Some books of this type fail in that respect.) The central character is someone you can like and the other characters have very well developed motives and characteristics, especially for a book that's so short.

That said, the ending felt a little contrived. I wish it had been better developed, but overall I'd recommend giving it a go, especially while it's free.
on 24 October 2014
Anna and Zelly are the Ugly Step Sisters to Cinderella. After the death of her father, Cinderella throws herself into chores around the house to distract herself from the pain, all the while her step mother is shut away because of the grief. Because of their monetary problems, Anna and Zelly's mother is determined to see the two girls married, putting undue pressure on them. When they are invited to the ball, Cinderella's dress is accidentally ruined and she blames her step mother. Only to mysteriously turn up at the ball later in the evening. Seen only by Anna, Cinderella makes a run for it at midnight, leaving her glass slipper behind. The only person who has the power to reunite Cinderella and Prince Charming is Anna.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I'll be honest, I expected Cinderella to be far more evil than she was in Cinderella is Evil, instead she acted like a bit of a spoilt brat at times, but I wouldn't really call that being evil. Though I didn't think that that made the story bad. I actually really enjoyed this re telling. Of all of the fairy tales it is Cinderella which is the most subject to view point, after all Cinderella may not have been forced, as she wasn't in this retelling.

I like the way that in these retellings by Jamie Campbell, the bad guys have the view point. It was always possible to feel a bit sorry for the ugly step sisters, but this re telling had me really wanting a happy ending for Anna, and not just for Cinderella.

Actually saying that, I was a bit indifferent about the happy ending for Cinderella, she didn't seem like too nice a person really.
on 3 March 2014
Absolutely loved this short story of Cinderella, told from the point of view of one of the ugly stepsisters. It really made me think of the original story, & how there are always two sides to every story. Despite it being only 30 pages long, it made me question the original story, & had me emotionally involved throughout. Loved the ending too (even read the last couple of pages out loud to my husband, as I thought it was a lovely ending). I look forward to reading more by Jamie Campbell.
on 2 April 2014
I picked this up on a free day. I was intrigued by the concept and thought I'd see where the author took it. I'll be dead straight, I didn't think it was great writing. It struck me at times that this was riddled with cliche, a little formulaic in places, and had passages of clunky dialogue.

So why five stars?

Well, the style of writing suits the concept very well and the story was very, very well constructed.

I liked the idea of telling this tale from another viewpoint and thought the twists and turns in the plot were well executed. I can't say any of the characters were likable and I don't think they were extensively developed - but then for a flash fiction novelette that's not really the point is it?

I read it, I enjoyed reading it, and I found myself thinking about it afterwards - so it was good!

Martyn Stanley

Author of:-
The Last Dragon Slayer (Deathsworn Arc Book 1) (Free to download)
The Verkreath Horror (Deathsworn Arc Book 2)
The Blood Queen (Deathsworn Arc Book 3)
Rise of the Archmage (Deathsworn Arc Book 4) (Due late 2015)

The Lambton Worm (The Lambton Worm Re-telling Book 1) (Short story. A modern re-telling of old english folklore)
on 4 August 2013
This is a really enjoyable short story! I wasn't expecting to enjoy this so much, but ended up reading the story in one go while I was supposed to do something else.

It would be hard to go in to a book about Cinderella without any expectations, or without thinking you know the characters, but when you start reading, that's soon thrown on its head. Everything you thought of Cinderella is wrong here. While I wouldn't call her evil, you get to see the side of her that could never get over her father's death - and the side of the "evil" stepsister that really does try to be likable. And believe it or not, Anna is likable, and for such as short story, it feels you get to know her quite well. The story touches on many of the things you thought you knew and changes your mind about them. Don't go into the story thinking prince Charming's name matches his personality!

I would recommend this to anyone that has ever read or seen Cinderella - or just wants to see the other side of the tale. I promise you won't put down the book and still see Disney's version of the stepsisters in your mind.
on 24 September 2014
I don't do book reviews........ I read the book and if I liked it I give it up to 5 stars, if I didn't then it gets a 2, if I didn't finish then it's a 1, that's it I'm afraid.

I read it, I like it, I want more from the author.

As with a vast number of Kindle books there might be the odd spelling and punctuation errors.
After reading over 300 Kindle books of all types and subjects you get use to them and they become less noticeable, unless they effect the story.
on 16 August 2013
Anna is one of the 'ugly' sisters in this re-telling of the fairy tale whose viewpoint of the whole Royal Ball is a little bit different to Cinderella's. It's a short book and only took me about twenty minutes to read but I was smiling by the end of it. I like the idea of knowing the flipside of all the happily ever after stories and Jamie Campbell's series fits that bill like a glass slipper fits Cinderella's foot. Well worth a look.
on 15 October 2013
I thought I was going to get a meaty adult version of the Cinders classic. I thought she was going to be really revealed as evil. The worst she was was spoilt and sulky.
Though it was pleasant to see one of the Ugly Sisters had a heart of kindness and concern, and only wanted to protect Ms Cinders.
A short read that filled about half an hour. I will have forgotten about it by tomorrow, probably. How unfortunate.
Glad it was free.
on 5 July 2014
A different slant on the Cinderella story. Quite an amusing story showing the ugly sisters in a different light. A very short read but a good read. Probably wouldnt;t have paid for it but as a free read well worth half an hour of your time
on 24 August 2013
A nice little story for those people who don't want to wait for a prince or princess. The time for sewing a fine seam and being able to cook well is no longer essential, this ugly sister would survive better than Cinderella in this world. Enjoy your sewing and cooking if that's what you want to do...... Now make your own happy ever after.