on 20 May 2013
I heard about this wonderful lady on the news when she was found in her flat in Torquay and was moved just by that and the huge funeral that amassed when they discovered her secret past instead of an almost paupers funeral that it might have been. I saw the book was there and just had to read it and was so moved. The prologue gave me tears in my eys net alone the rest of it.
The book was so well written and even with so many code names etc etc all the way through was very easy to read, if upsetting, to think what this lovely lady and her sister, and many others went through, for all of us. Would people do it today ? and keep it all quiet and to themselves - ????
I read the book in a day as i just had to follow it through what had befallen this pair of courageous ladies.
Can't recommend it enough and should be compulsory at school. I am so glad it was published that others might know and follow what they did and sacrificed their lives for - well at least her, her sister faired much better.
A wonderful book but tragic.
on 4 October 2013
Very well written, the relationship nuances of two sisters described by the author, the young person looking for adventure, sometimes misguided, and the "powers that be" who seem to ignore the wisdom and insight of others.
The politics of the time, and fighting a war that nobody wants, but have no choice but to fight to keep the integrity of this country of Great Britain intact.
Respect for my mother's generation and all they did, thus giving my generation and their great grandchildren's generation Great Britain a future.
Never should be forgotten, and their baton carried forward.
on 12 June 2017
excellent
on 1 June 2017
An excellent and fact full portrayal of two amazing sisters and their courage to add their efforts to bring the war to a conclusion as soon as possible.
on 26 April 2017
Very interesting real life events of a very moving situation during WW2
on 19 May 2017
Love real life stories, really enjoyed this one
on 12 April 2013
I raced through this book in a couple of days. It's clearly written, fast-paced and a real page-turner. Quite simply, the story of these two remarkable women is an incredible one. A few pages of photographs are included to help put faces to names. A really excellent read and a fascinating account of the very important work that women were doing in occupied France during WW2.
on 4 April 2013
Having seen news items at the time of Eileen Nearne's death and been interested by the speculation regarding her life, I was very keen to read the truth, and if anything it turned out to be more extraordinary than I imagined.

Before I go any further, I must declare an interest here. Susan Ottaway is my sister. That is the reason I have never reviewed any of her previous books on here, excellent though they are, fearing accusations of bias. However, this book is just so good that having now finished it I can't resist sharing my views with others. What made it more special for me was that while Susan was carrying out all the research and actually writing the book she didn't discuss it in detail with me, so I was able to read it without knowing many of the extraordinary details of what was to come.

As with most biographical books the reader is introduced to the main characters and their family near the beginning and I often find this part of a book slightly "plodding". But not in this case. The family details are so interesting and unique that they only serve to whet the appetite for the remainder of the story, and what a story!

Many people have commented on the very detailed research Susan carries out with all her books and this one is no exception. Building on her earlier knowledge of SOE through extensive research for her book about Violette Szabo, she has undoubtedly become one of the few real SOE experts around today and it really shows in this book. It is very easy to read. The story is fast-paced and includes just the right amount of detail to keep the reader engaged and to feel a real empathy towards the main characters. The whole thing is all the more remarkable for the knowledge that every single detail is true. It is humbling to read of such quiet bravery and sacrifice amid the real horrors of war.

I read this book in a couple of days (it would have been quicker had work not got in the way!), found it sad, moving, poignant, interesting and exciting but above all thoroughly entertaining.

Well done Susan, I think this is the finest of all your books so far!
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 May 2013
Having just finished this amazing book, I now almost feel like I knew the Nearne sisters. The level of research that Ottaway has put into this book and the detail that is eloquently portrayed of the lives of these brave women during those troubled time is exemplary. Far too many times are stories like these rushed to the presses with little regard to the true facts, facts that we all need to be aware of so we can really appreciate the sacrifices made by the like of Eileen, Jacqueline, Francis and so many others who gave their freedom so we could have ours. Congratulations on a truly wonderful book.
on 5 May 2013
What a wonderful story the bravery and sacrifice of women like Jacqueline and Eileen, Particularly the suffering and privation torture that Eileen endured without giving away her fellow agents. However I was disgusted by the American soldiers behaviour , could they not recognise the difference between a victim and her abusers! she was somewhat emaciated and in poor condition, did they not have the intelligence to see the difference even allowing for the world not having seen the kind of thing the Germans had been doing before. It was fitting and right that the two sisters sacrifice should be written about and recognised.