on 3 December 2008
I bought this book last year and I loved it! It's dinner time and Spot's mum is trying to find "naughty Spot", so she starts searching for him around the house... in the clock, in the piano, under the rug; every time she opens a door (i.e., every time you flip a flap), a strange guess is there to say 'No', Spot is not there... It's great in case you're teaching household objects and prepositions! Highly recommended!
on 5 June 2001
My two toddlers absolutely adore this book. The large flaps are especially suitable for a 2 year olds grubby little fingers. The bright colours and interactive elements of Sally's search for Spot are especially attractive. My particular 2 year old sits on the floor turning the pages on her own and laughing with delight. I highly recommend this book.
on 13 January 2005
This is a book my 21-month old 'reads' (either with me or on his own) again and again, and he laughs the whole way through it every time!
He's memorized which animal is in each hiding place and can just about recite the entire book without lifting the flaps, and enjoys it even more when I make the animal sounds to go with the pictures!
I've bought copies for my friends' babies, and we now have copies at each of the grandparents' houses as well!
on 29 September 2015
When our 11 month old started lifting the flaps in our other "zoo" book, I realised it was time to get some more! Where's Spot is a lovely book for the price. It also introduces your child to other animals (who are hiding around the house). If I was to be picky, I would say some of the animals don't quite fit the association with home (e.g. an alligator under the bed!). Some of the flaps are also trickier to negotiate than others, so it presents a nice challenge to the developing child.
on 10 December 2010
The perfect story for tots - our 1 year old is enthralled and loves the flaps. Just the right length, colourful illustrations and a joyous ending - a childhood must-have.
on 25 February 2016
My two year old loves this book, to the point where I'm actually a bit sick of it... "Is he in the...?" No, he's not. [SPOILER ALERT!] He's in the basket where he has been each of the 5,000 times we've read this and where I imagine he will stay for the next 5,000 times too...
on 3 October 2014
‘Where is Spot’ is one of the 20th century’s great post-structuralist texts, and essential reading for undergrads and critics alike. To give this text the treatment it deserves, it’s necessary to wade through the many thousands of papers that have been published on it since Hill first burst onto the literary scene in 1980, and peel the text back to its most basic (and profound) elements.

Let us begin by asking ourselves, can Spot ever be found? This is really the core question of Hill’s seminal work. Following in the tradition of Derrida, Lacan and Boudrillard, Hill is a provocateur, and the very title of this book is a challenge. How can we ‘spot’ Spot, when the act of perceiving cannot ever be perceived?

Ultimately, by asking ‘Where is Spot?’, Hill is asking us to question whether meaning itself can ever truly be grasped, whether our hunger for symbols can ever be sated, or whether we are destined, like Spot’s mother, to search through a linguistic maze of our own making until we die.

Let’s look for a moment at how her doomed quest for meaning begins: “Naughty Spot! It’s dinner time. Where can he be?” Here Hill almost catches us unwary, tempting us to dive immediately into the hypnosis of categorisation that lies beneath the surface of all narrative. But at the same time he is urging us to hold back, to wait before we answer. Where is Spot? We do not know, and perhaps we never will.

“Dinner time” is an unmistakeable reference to desire in the Foucauldian sense. The unwary reader wishes to gorge themselves on meaning, and it is this blind desire which ultimately leads Spot’s mother on her futile quest.

“Is he under the stairs?” she asks. Is he indeed. Spot may well be under the stairs, hidden beneath this clear symbol of hierarchy. But he isn’t there, we are told. And who imparts this information, who tears down of our oh-so treasured certainty in the meta-narrative? The lion; a glaring symbol of patriarchy.

Hill’s expert illustration tells us all we need to know; the lion looks surprised, scared. Patriarchy, presented with the futility of its own categorisation, cannot hold itself together.

Some critics have argued that Spot’s eventual discovery in a basket is Hill’s way of celebrating the Sublime, of telling us that there is indeed a greater meaning beyond the mess of symbols that we live in. But they overlooking a critical element. After he is found, Spot is immediately ordered by his mother, here playing the role of the dark feminine archetype, to go and ‘eat your dinner’.

He is, like the ouroboros, destined to live forever in a cycle of consumption and desire that traps us all. Hill explores Spot’s resulting decline into the mediocrity of bourgeoisie life in his critically-acclaimed sequels, ‘Spot Goes to School’, ‘Spot Goes on Holiday’ and ‘Spot’s Day Out’, but ‘Where is Spot?’ remains his most challenging and exciting work to date.
on 16 February 2008
lift-the-flap book, from Eric Hill.

This review is for the PUFFIN paperback, lift-the-flap version/1983.

22 thick, shiny pages in the popular 2-page spread format.
Large, bold, easy-to-follow text on one page and a picture and a lift-the flap opportunity on the other.
9 sturdy flaps ensure successful lifting/replacing, time and time again.
Colourfully illustrated throughout.

In this story, naughty Spot is being elusive, at dinner time, and his Mum (Sally) has to go and seek him out!
The delightful story is enhanced by the various creatures hidden behind the flaps who aid the lovable Spot by responding `No!' to the question asked....until the last page, when all is revealed!

From the back cover:-

`SPOT is one of the essential experiences of childhood' - Parent Magazine.'

One of the best series of books for early readers!
on 6 May 2010
This is a lovely edition of the old favourite. The type is clear and ideal for a learner reader and the thicker paper pages are easier for turning without fear of tears or creases. Lift-the-flap books are always popular in this house and with Spot involved "guess who's behind this door" games are extra fun. This edition is likely to live on the bookcase far longer than others might have done.
on 11 October 2015
The Spender Family:

Mum: Sensible Sue A lovely, entertaining book that toddlers can manage by themselves - or enjoy with Mum and Dad
Dad: Thrifty Tom The board books are more hard-wearing, so should last longer
Son: Shopaholic Steve Ideal unisex gift for a toddler, boys and girls love it. And it isn't pink!
Daughter: Crafty Katie Cut old pages into 6 or 8 pieces to create simple 'jigsaws' - they will be double-sided, so not SO easy
Grandma: Budget Brenda Look out for these at car boots etc. and check that the lift up flaps are intact (easy to replace)
Grandad: Practical Pete Try to reinforce the lift up flaps with a clear sticky back plastic film
Dog: Deefer Shhh, I'm sure that's my cousin ................