on 15 April 2013
BACKWASH by Bill Rogers

This is the eighth novel in the Detective Inspector Tom Caton series. Set in Manchester and written with the author's usual attention to detail, this is a page turner that sets out to entertain and intrigue. Always written chronologically, from the point of view of the police team led by Detective Inspector Caton, the series involves us in the police procedures as well as the frustrations and difficulties they face when investigating major crime. There is always tension and drama and an exciting climax and Bill's books are well written with touches of humor to balance the horrors of the crimes and their unsavory perpetrators. In this book the story opens with the murder and mutilation of a young man and leads the team into the dark and dangerous side of the internet and social media.
The development of the characters, and the sub-plot surrounding them is consistent throughout the series and creates empathy between the reader and the always human, but not always perfect, policemen and women.
With a wedding planned Tom has his own personal deadline, and an even more powerful drive to arrest everyone involved in this particular story when a close member of his own family is threatened!
I enjoyed the book, as I have others in the series and recommend it to readers of detective fiction who like to follow the action from the police viewpoint and to be kept guessing.

Sue Almond
April 2013
on 17 April 2013
Was delighted with the next in the series of DCI Caton and team. It's nice to get to know the personalities as it gives depth to the story with which I was totally captivated. Actually I have been captivated by all of Bill Roger's crime series set in Manchester. This was a very puzzling crime story that was very up to date in the use of new technology. I presume this is quite factual with the police force of today but can sympathise with the contraints that the law imposes in the prosecution of a criminal. The whole PACE and other legal restraints really needs thinking through again and reducing the amount of paper work required in the business of crime prevention and enforcement of the law. The business of trolling in the interent was a new one on me and difficult to understand why people would bother to do this... too much time on their hands? It did open up a new world to me and educated me to be beware of such activities, thank you Bill for the illumination!
Don't want to give any of the story away but just to say further that it is satisfying to see relationships of "normal life" coming together as part of the story, it makes it more interesting and real.
on 16 April 2013
I started reading Bill Rogers' Tom Caton books a few months ago and have never been disappointed. BACKWASH is another fine example of his output. I got hooked on the series initially because I share a lot of Bill's background, (childhood Bolton Wanderers supporter, Burnden Park visitor and lived in Bolton (Greater Manchester)for 25 years until I moved south 45 years ago). I continued reading the series because I enjoy the plotting and characters and Bill's ability to hold my attention from beginning to end. There is always splendid attention to detail and good descriptions of some of the areas I remember so well despite having moved. The "New Manchester" is opened up to me and I suspect I could use Bill's descriptions to navigate around the city. I wish that the books could appear a little more quickly, though I'm quite prepared to wait as long as the high quality of output is maintained.
on 20 January 2018
Backlash was an interesting and gripping story but without many twists and turns it led straight to the predictable ending.
on 26 June 2017
I loved the book as I love them all in this series. All the team are great and I love the fact they are all together again. I have almost finished this series and feel sad about that. I will move on to the NCA which I am sure I will enjoy.
on 12 December 2017
If you like Bill Rogers then you will love this book. I found it difficult to put down once I had started to read it.
on 6 May 2013
Another good book in Bill Rogers's excellent Caton series of novels. I like the way he tries to change the direction of the standard detective novel on occasion. This one I thought was well thought out, credible plot, well structured.

The only negative comment I would make is that Bill needs to get a final edit/consistency check on his books. In some of them the names get mixed up frequently (Frozen Contract perhaps the worst for this but it's in all of them) and there are "consistency errors" like Caton's age/birthday moving around. It's minor stuff but if you have a good memory they stick out like a sore thumb and when you're creating a backstory it damages it

Keep up the good work!
on 31 August 2017
very good like all his books
on 30 December 2016
Love this entire series, especially since most of the time they are about the area in which I grew up.
on 20 October 2016
A bit too technical for a silver surfer but as usual well plotted and presented. Not as many errors as complained about in previous books. Now on to the honeymoon