on 1 November 2014
A very lucid, clearly written guide that resonated totally. The first few chapters are a straight forward guide to sitting correctly. The later ones cover what happens in meditation. Before I was meditating regularly these later chapters book would probably have seemed a bit flat as I did not have the experiences to compare. With the experience of meditating daily, the words here have full meaning. If you are thinking of starting meditation but unsure how..read this book and start a daily practise immediately! If you have some experience read this for affirmation that you are on the right path.

This sceptic has found that the claims that daily mindfulness meditation will change you (described elsewhere as a 'software upgrade') are true. So read this but more importantly...practice daily.
on 12 February 2014
If you have ever read any books by Pema, you will know how very practical she is. Her years of being a Nun have given her such a wealth of experience and this combined with her great sensitivity and compassion makes every book so immensely enjoyable and most importantly extremely helpful.
In this book, she begins at the beginning....with the simple tools you need. Yourself. No fancy tools, incense or candles. She manages to speak directly to you. This simple approach is so appealing that it is suitable for a complete beginner or an experienced practitioner.
I heartily recommend this book.
on 18 July 2017
Pema Chodron is one of my most valued people, I have come across.
She has such fluent and ease, when explaining the most difficult issues about living. It is just so easy to understand this book, and therefore, when I read this book, I feels I WANT to practice/meditate - no matter how painful!
Pema Chodron 'takes me by the hand' it feels to me. She understands all those little nagging, irritating things in life and turns it into something miraculous wonderful - just by breathing!
My breath has become my anchor in my life, since reading many books by Pema Chodron. This so far my favourite book!
I have more to explore
on 31 December 2013
An immense my thought provoking book which is nevertheless accessible to even the most novice of seekers for spiritual guidance.It is just so full of insight into the human condition.
on 18 November 2014
Pema Chodron is one of the very best at sharing the method on how to meditate. I have had my own copy of this and many of her books, this copy I bought to pass on to my son. There is always an ease in her writings which makes the instruction not only a joy to read but easy to understand and implement.
One person found this helpful
on 31 May 2015
Easy to read the words read like poetry. I really loved this book and can see myself rereading this book again and again. Just need to out it into practice now. That's the hard bit!
One person found this helpful
on 25 April 2014
Having read a fair few books on meditation this one jumps out as useful, comforting and encouraging. It demystifies what can be a confusing and frustrating practice, and is responsible for me finally having a daily practice which I look forward to and have no anxiety about. I'd recommend to anyone - fantastic book!
2 people found this helpful
on 2 May 2015
Excellent practical guide to the two types of meditation that form the core of Buddhist spritual practice, also to practice on ones own or while involved in the daily complexities of modern life. Pema Chodron has a skill in language that feels like she is talking to you the reader and guiding one through the many aproaches to meditation and the many pitfalls that may occur.
on 4 September 2014
She is really good and has a wealth of experience both practical and spiritually helpful if you need some focus, even if you have been meditating for a while.
on 3 June 2015
Pema never produces a duff book - how could she, she is integrity through and through.