on 8 April 2013
I've been reading reviews for a few years now but this is the first time that I've been compelled to write one. They are without doubt one of the finest bands around today. This album covers an array of styles and you will find yourself listening to it again and again and each time picking up on something new. Bands that seem to have influenced them include Yes, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd and Muse. The first track, Insomniac, also reminds me of Soundgarden, while Lost In Time could be from the first Sabbath album. I could probably write the same review for all their other albums (five including this one, although their debut, called Experience, is very hard to find).

I saw them play in Cardiff on the 6th and they were note perfect. Mikko's range and power reminds me of Chris Cornell and Myles Kennedy. The music was also slightly heavier, including a chunky version of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man. The only criticism was that they didn't play for longer. I also met two of the brothers (Mikko and Kie) after the gig and they were very nice chaps indeed! All I can say is do yourselves a favour and at least make an effort to listen to them (plenty of videos on YouTube, including cracking versions of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and Don't Stop Me Now). If you do then the chances are that you will end up buying all of their music - like I did. I simply can't understand why they are not bigger in the UK than they are at the moment. As Mikko said to me on Saturday - "Spread the word my friend".
55 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 December 2013
I am on my 3rd listen and I love the variety of music styles, which means this has long legs and will keep me entertained a long time. Variety either within a genre (say Prog rock) or between different styles (say Prog Rock and Rock) will always last inspection and will allow the listener a longer education and understanding. Point being is that the enjoyment in music is the process of actually discovering the music, getting familiar with all the ups and downs. Once that has been completed I think some of the spark is lost (as the music is then set in stone) and the longer that process takes the better. Once there it will not make the music bad, it just becomes a given piece of understood music (which is the stuff one rewinds to for comfort), whereby the initial discovery has no limitations, is exciting and around the corner is that one note or two that one has been waiting for for ever.

So the longer the discovery the better (that is why pop is a dead duck) and the variety on this CD will take time and be pleasurable. I should add that to start the process of discovery the music on first listen needs to 'make sense', to be challenging but within ones comfort zone. As is with this.

This is my first experience with the Brothers and it is quite wonderful.

If you do like this I can also suggest; Hamadryad - Intrusion - This also had a great mixture of styles but would get 5*'s.
on 1 June 2013
I have their best of and bought this on the back of the other reviews.One can only say that there approach and sound is so varied and unique that there is great depth and artitry to what they play.Not for every Progressive follower probably as their style is very much a one off, but no doubting their qualities as Musicians and an interesting absorbing listen
on 14 February 2014
Bought this after listening to a free track from classic rock mag-very good cd indeed ,don't know much about this band(Brothers?)but they are very talented indeed and this is a great record with some very well strung together songs-check out the two first songs"Insomniac"my favourite and "Flowers and rust".
on 10 January 2018
I've been busy listening to all my Xmas music, never got round to reviewing. Yeh, great music by this class group of Finnish lads. Can't get sick of playing their music. Amazing.
on 20 February 2017
Love it! The first 3 tracks flow nicely, hard hitting. It has some proggy elements on the preceding tracks, but the more I listen to it, the better it gets.
on 23 July 2013
I heard diamond & rust on Planet Rock and decided to give it a go. A fine album from a fine group. If you like Prog and have not heard this group yet, treat yourself I dont think you will be disappointed.
on 12 January 2017
excellent
on 21 October 2013
Bought this as I liked the singles I heard on planet rock. It's an eclectic album with something for everyone, from rock through prog via wishbone ash, to almost folky tunes.
It's OK. I like it
on 13 December 2013
There's some unbelievable material on here. Truly great songs. And then, brilliantly, there's some full on atmospheric weirdness to trip along to.