Customer reviews

Lonerism
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 20 May 2017
Fabulous album - we were put onto Tame Impala a while back, and love their psychedelic rock sound, plus their ability to write great tunes! Elephant is an absolute classic, as is Why Won't They Talk to Me - pure 60s inspired, but at the same time, feels fresh and different.
on 10 March 2017
Excellent
on 23 February 2017
Still one of my favourite albums
on 11 December 2012
Kevin Parker is the main brain behind Australia's Tame Impala, and the band's debut album, 2010's "Innerspeaker", was quite the intruiging debut album. Now comes the second album.

"Lonerism" (12 tracks; 52 min.) starts off with a nerversly drum-driven, high-energy "Be Above It", a fantastic track. It is followed by "Endors Toi", another all-out energy track. It isn't until track 3 "Apocalypse Dreams" that we start to get a real sense of where this album is going, less guitar-oriented than "Innerspeaker", even if the next track "Mind Mischief" actually finds guitars and drums very upfront. The album truly takes off with the next track "Music to Walk Home By", with synthesizers all over, a theme that would continue for most of the album. "Why Won't They Talk To Me" is in the same vein, and at this point I'm thinking that Tame Impala has become the (beautiful) bastard child of Film School-meets-The Secret Machines. Now we are into the heart of the album, with an outstanding lazy-feeling "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards", followed by an even greater "Keep on Lying", with a delicious 4 min. instrumental outro (with lots of sound-trickery overdubbed, and I mean that in the best of ways). It is one of my favorite tracks on here. It is followed by a guitar-heavy (and hard rock sounding) "Elephant", which is out of place with the rest of the album, yet somehow it works great. After that the album starts to falter a bit, we've had the best moments by then. The album should've closed with "Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control" but instead is followed by an unnessecary piano-based "Sun's Coming Up".

In all, this album is one of the biggest (pleasant) surprises for me this year, and clearly one of the year's very best albums, period. Sure to make my "best of 2012" albums list, and very high at that. I can't wait to see this band in concert! "Lonerism" is HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

*UPDATE* (March, 2013) I saw Tame Impala in concert for the first time just recently here in Ohio, and they simply blew me away. Outstanding set from start to finish. If you have a chance to see them live, do not miss them!
on 31 March 2014
Im still getting my head around some of the amazing tracks on this album & I can see this being the first of many Tame Impala releases in my collection - superb album
on 25 July 2014
some great songs
on 5 November 2014
A happy go lucky kind of feel good factor with dark undertones.
on 6 November 2012
What a shame. I was really looking forward to this after the debut. Regrettably it's a bit of a mess - over produced, with myriad synthy squiggles and time changes - masking the fact that at it's heart, there just aren't many melodic ideas. I'm no luddite though - I love experimentation - but just not at the expense of some tunes!

I've given it a good crack of the whip - had it on repeat for a couple of weeks now - but it just hasn't got under my skin like Innerspeaker did.

Tame Impala are by no means alone in producing a second rate second LP - history is littered with disappointing, overblown follow ups that fly in the face of everything that made a bands debut so good, but I'm really shocked that Kevin Parker went the same way.

Hopefully he'll return to writing songs on an acoustic, then translating them to a band - and not writing within his DAW.
on 23 September 2013
Probably on a Sunday morning, this is the best album ever made, But its not lively. Maybe more tunes to cry to than rock to,,,
on 16 September 2016