on 20 May 2017
Fabulous album - we were put onto Tame Impala a while back, and love their psychedelic rock sound, plus their ability to write great tunes! Elephant is an absolute classic, as is Why Won't They Talk to Me - pure 60s inspired, but at the same time, feels fresh and different.
on 23 February 2017
Still one of my favourite albums
on 11 December 2012
Kevin Parker is the main brain behind Australia's Tame Impala, and the band's debut album, 2010's "Innerspeaker", was quite the intruiging debut album. Now comes the second album.

"Lonerism" (12 tracks; 52 min.) starts off with a nerversly drum-driven, high-energy "Be Above It", a fantastic track. It is followed by "Endors Toi", another all-out energy track. It isn't until track 3 "Apocalypse Dreams" that we start to get a real sense of where this album is going, less guitar-oriented than "Innerspeaker", even if the next track "Mind Mischief" actually finds guitars and drums very upfront. The album truly takes off with the next track "Music to Walk Home By", with synthesizers all over, a theme that would continue for most of the album. "Why Won't They Talk To Me" is in the same vein, and at this point I'm thinking that Tame Impala has become the (beautiful) bastard child of Film School-meets-The Secret Machines. Now we are into the heart of the album, with an outstanding lazy-feeling "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards", followed by an even greater "Keep on Lying", with a delicious 4 min. instrumental outro (with lots of sound-trickery overdubbed, and I mean that in the best of ways). It is one of my favorite tracks on here. It is followed by a guitar-heavy (and hard rock sounding) "Elephant", which is out of place with the rest of the album, yet somehow it works great. After that the album starts to falter a bit, we've had the best moments by then. The album should've closed with "Nothing That Has Happened So Far Has Been Anything We Could Control" but instead is followed by an unnessecary piano-based "Sun's Coming Up".

In all, this album is one of the biggest (pleasant) surprises for me this year, and clearly one of the year's very best albums, period. Sure to make my "best of 2012" albums list, and very high at that. I can't wait to see this band in concert! "Lonerism" is HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

*UPDATE* (March, 2013) I saw Tame Impala in concert for the first time just recently here in Ohio, and they simply blew me away. Outstanding set from start to finish. If you have a chance to see them live, do not miss them!
on 31 March 2014
Im still getting my head around some of the amazing tracks on this album & I can see this being the first of many Tame Impala releases in my collection - superb album
on 25 July 2014
some great songs
on 5 November 2014
A happy go lucky kind of feel good factor with dark undertones.
on 23 September 2013
Probably on a Sunday morning, this is the best album ever made, But its not lively. Maybe more tunes to cry to than rock to,,,
on 16 September 2016
back to psychedelia 1966! revolver
on 18 October 2012
Tame Impala have a real hard job on their hand following up the excellent Innerspeaker. That was a blissful album of 70's influence psychedelia. This effort doesn't deviate too much from that. What is new is the feeling of melancholy some tracks leave. Don't get me wrong this is no downbeat effort. It does have moments of absolute joy - Apocalypse Dreams is a great example of that with a driving drum beat, fuzzy vocals and blissed out breakdowns and guitar solo's. However, some tracks like Keep On Lying just have that bliss feel but also the bitter-sweet feeling as well.

If you are looking for influences then 70's bands are the obvious ones. Cream or similar are often mentioned but if you listen to the rather excellent Elephant you hear glam rock at the start and then it breaks down into an almost White Stripes feel. Guitars and fuzzy vocals are the order of the day again - although some tracks include almost harpsichord sounds amongst others. Some tracks last a long time and include more experimental moments - Sun's Coming Up is an example as a closing track it feels like a slight low note to finish on. She Just Won't Believe Me clocks in at less than a minute though and is very reminiscent of Apples In Stereo on New Magnetic Wonder.

Overall this is a great album and I have been playing it constantly since release. It certainly is a throwback to the 70's. However, it doesn't quite reach the heights of the début album. Its still highly recommended though.
on 6 November 2012
This is the first time I've been compelled to write a review on Amazon, because it has been such a long time since an album has got under my skin the way that "Lonerism" has.

My introduction to Tame Impala came from hearing "Elephant" on 6 Music this summer and being pulled in by the section just after the whispered "here it comes". The song is a beast of a tune - stomping glam rock followed by freak out psychedelia. So when you start playing "Lonerism" I can see why people might be disappointed if they are expecting 11 other "Elephant" type tunes - that isn't what you get here.

The album has got some beautifully written songs with Apocalypse Dreams my personal highlight. Other tracks such as Keep on Lying and Feels Like We Only Go Backwards have a wonderfully evocative mood - no doubt helped by some pretty intense production. It feels like one of those records that is most rewarding when listened to from start to finish in one setting if you have the time.

The album is very heavily layered - but this made me want to put it onto repeat listen for a couple of weeks rather than give up on it. Yes, it seems as if the Producer has been on over-time on many songs, but i've recently felt compelled to give it yet another listen over and over again - and more so than any other album in years - so they must have been doing something right.

After reading other reviews on here, I can only conclude that one man's meat is another man's poison...and "Lonerism" is a meaty feast for me (apologies to all vegetarians...)