TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 February 2014
From my point of view there are three main categories for official soundtracks:

1) Music which brings back into your mind either the whole of a favourite film of key scenes from it. For some people, such OST's could be the music for 'Les Miserables', 'Mary Poppins', 'My fair lady', one or more of the 'Harry Potter' series, 'Shakespeare in love' etc. etc according to your own tastes.

2) Collections or selections of music which constitute compilations of music which individuals enjoy. Such selections might encompass lots of different styles or artists, or be drawn from the work of just one group or person. Examples might be the music used in 'Phenomenon', 'Mama Mia', 'Forest Gump' etc. etc.

3) Music which can be listened to pretty well for just the music. Maybe you saw the film, maybe not, that becomes less and less important. What does become important is the cohesion and completeness of the music itself. Maybe music from 'The rock' or one of Ennio Morricone's soundtracks or the 'Pirates of the Carribean' fall into that group for you. For me, I'd place the OST from 'Oblivion right at the head of what I think of as this third category.

M83's sountrack is, for me, effectively a fully-formed techno symphony. It flows smoothly from one track to another with themes recurring and evolving as the music evolves. Tracks can almost be thought of as 'movements' in the symphonic sense. The OST begins quietly and moodily but quickly develops a strong rhythmic and dramatc quality which leads you forwards into a series of peaks and troughs, crescendos and moments of calm which become compelling and almost hypnotic - but without the constant repetitiveness which can make some techno music become more akin to spaced-out dance music or pulse-infused trance. The whole OST is a coherent and cohesive piece of music in its own right.

And that brings me to two features which really surprised me:

First - the song which ends the film and, therefore, the soundtrack, isn't just something that has been tacked on to span the time as end credits roll across the screen. It genuinely fits and completes the whole composition and provides just enough of a difference and a climax to bring the 'symphony' to a satisfying end.

Second (and this REALLY surprised me) - it was only when I sat down to listen to the soundtrack on my earphones (as opposed to listening to it on speakers as I pottered around doing other things) that I actually went through the CD insert and realised that although M83's music is definitely techno in style, it is NOT driven or saturated with synths, sequencers nor rhythm machines. In fact, virtually the whole composition is recorded using a massive orchestra and choir with just one reference to an ANALOG synth tucked away in the small print. Despite sounding as good (or better) than the best of techno or Tangerine Dream in terms of sound, rhythm and depth - the only thing that is synthesised is the overall feel of the techno style and what might be thought of as the 'typical' techno sound. There is a battery of violins, violas, celli and double basses plus French horns, trumpets, trombones, tuba, percussion, timpani, Rhodes piano, electric bass and normal guitars, drums and .... a touch of analog synth programming. There are also sopranos, altos, tenors and bass singers a-plenty. Yet, despite all those elements of traditional orchestral composition, what you hear is as modern a symphony as you can get within the overall arena of techno.

Truly remarkable and totally successful.
on 22 October 2016
I bought this soundtrack at the same time as Interstellar, and of the two this is my favourite. Musical tastes are highly subjective though, so it makes more sense to tell you what you can expect.

Imagine the Tron: Legacy soundtrack was suffused with elements of music from the Halo, Deus Ex and Mass Effect games, and films such as The Dark Knight trilogy, Transformers and Blade Runner and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

There are a lot of moods in this soundtrack, and a recurring theme of what feels like hope and wonder amongst the menace and action, making this a brilliant audio complement to the film's stunning visuals.
on 30 May 2013
It has been quite some time since I have had the pleasure to see such a fantastic Sci Fi - Thriller. The story is smart and engaging, the film is incredibly detailed and stylistically mindblowing. It has been incredibly photographed and superbly edited. The actors are great as well. The soundtrack is pulse-pounding and atmospheric. So, I guess most of the professional reviewers who give this movie bad grades obviously have quite strange ideas what makes a film great and what doesn't, as far as I'm concerned I couldn't be happier with how Oblivion turned out. Great imagery is not contrary to good storytelling, in fact good movies tell aspects of the story through their visuals as is the case with Oblivion. I believe Joseph Kosinski is definitely the most interesting and talented director starting his career in the last few years for sure. I give this film my highest recommendation, and I am really diappointed that even a piece of work and art such as this mostly gets bashed by people who would probably never come up with anything like it themselves...
on 31 October 2016
Oblivion is a great film and the soundtrack is absolutely no different.
I'm not entirely familiar with all of M83's discography but I've heard enough of their work to understand their particular sound and style however to my surprise they take a far more subtle approach, then say, Daft Punk's Tron Legacy Soundtrack which (while good) seemed like missed potential and instead choosing to add personality to an original operatic score, any other creative team would've simply released that original score instead but it seems (happily) that no expense has been spared crafting a score to fit the sparse beauty of the film much.
My only complaint is more of a warning, as I implied before, if you are only listening to this solely for M83 you might be disappointed as it resembles a creative flourish more than a full M83 album, if that doesn't bother then you'll have a good time.
In closing, like the film itself the soundtrack chooses style over substance and (to some people) may seem a little simple but that honestly works in its favor, it's smooth, elegant and above all else, entertaining, your first listen might be a little 'unenthusiastic' but your second listen will be a joy.
Highly recommended.
on 4 September 2013
Just cannot believe how incredible this soundtrak is, I wathed the impressive and remarkable Oblivion recently and closing my eyes I could have swore it was Zimmer scoring it, there were soundbites of Dark Knight in there and then mixed in with a bit of electric/Daft Punk-esque sounds and then thumping drums and the whole thing worked as it built up and up giving us a roaring score and brilliant beat that is so luscious on the ears. I cannot stop playing it over and over, even when cycling my bike it just gives you that extra bit more, it's definetely the perfect work out music for a gym or jogging.
Best tracks;
Waking Up
Starwaves
Earth 2077
Raven Rock
I'm sending you away
Further Odds
Oblivion featuring Susanne Sundord - which is just beautifully woven with classical and an amazing voice and a dancing beat
on 22 April 2017
Great soundtrack to a very good movie. I absolutely love it. Suspenceful, inspiring and moving at the same time.
on 13 October 2013
Very enjoyable soundtrack, with some sparkling dramatic moments. I love the title track and Fearful Odds, but it's all nicely crafted and unhurried. A good blend of orchestra and electronica sounds. The sleeve notes don't say much, but feature some good thumbnail pictures from the film.
on 28 August 2017
I love this product
on 30 August 2014
Beautiful, mesmerising soundtrack that perfectly suits the soaring views of Iceland in the film. Probably too good for such a slender tale but together they make the film more memorable than it otherwise would have been.
on 13 September 2017