on 11 October 2017
I first met Tracey and Luke over 20 years ago but had lost touch until recently, so I was not surprised by their courage, thoughtlessness for their own comforts and compassion for others during their efforts to survive and help all around them, whilst trying to come to terms with the enormity of the tragedy surrounding them. I read this book while I was in hospital with heart problems, and it made me realise how small my own problems were as I thought about all the people who lost their own lives or their loved ones, their homes, their livelihoods, their everything. Anyone who feels sorry for themselves over petty issues in their life should read this book and realise that they are, actually, probably very lucky. In fact, everybody should read this book anyway!
on 31 July 2016
"Tsunami 2004" had me hooked from the start, as Lee quickly and engagingly starts looking under the cover, both of herself and Sri Lanka. Funny in parts (you can just imagine her struggles to stay polite on an over-crowded sweltering Sri Lankan train in her prime spot by the over-flowing lavatory), terribly sad in others (the author not only shares the terrible events with which she was caught up in Sri Lanka, but also interweaves the pain of subsequently losing her son and the unnatural death of a close colleague), and unflinchingly honest throughout (refreshingly, Lee neither attempts to disguise her emotions nor whitewash either her own flaws or those of others - these are brought together in the account of the author's verbal "disagreement" with a fellow survivor whose negative attitude was proving unhelpful during the crisis' immediate aftermath). Mainly told in the first person, Lee also includes chapters describing events and reactions thereto from others' perspectives - a technique which adds further colour to a thoroughly thought-provoking and absorbing account. Eight years in the writing (and one afternoon in the reading from cover to cover) this cannot, at times at least, have been an easy book for Lee to pen - but I, for one, am glad she did.
on 11 May 2016
Me and my wife both read this book while on holiday. The very first page had us in tears. As you move through the pages Tracey takes you on an incredibly brave and very honest journey of the devastating Tsunami in 2004 and also other heart-beating events throughout her life. The bravery of putting others before himself, Tracey's partner Luke is an incredible person. Its a heart felt, wonderfully written book. I would highly recommend anyone to read this book, it will make you cry and also smile as you really feel the character of the writer. We had the privilege of meeting Tracey and Luke on a recent bird watching trip to Goa.
on 16 December 2017
Due to travel soon to Sri Lanka for the first time, I bought this book to give me an insight into the horrors of the tsunami as I always try to learn something about a country before I visit. This did indeed provide me with an insight, but I wish it had been longer and more in depth.
As an author myself, typos always shout out at me and put my mind off track, so a final proof-read would have been a distinct advantage.
on 27 May 2013
Whilst on a family trip during the Tsunami of 2004, Tracey Lee and her family were lucky enough to have all narrowly survived the devastation that destroyed much of the coastal areas of Sri Lanka, leaving an estimated 300,000 people dead in Asia and Africa.

This is an honest and vivid first-hand account of the events by the author who is still haunted by the experience. Tracy Lee says in her introduction that she wrote this book about her horrific experiences as a way of coming to terms with everything that happened to her, her family and the devastated people of Sri Lanka.

The writing is brutal at times in a no holds barred account of what the author witnessed and experienced, but is interspersed with humour and honesty that makes this book a must read.

I felt that I was sitting in a pub hearing the story from the author herself, accompanied by the tears, guilt, horror and anguish that she and her family experienced.

If ever there was an account to read of the Boxing Day Tsunami of 2004, this is it and I can't recommend it enough.
on 28 April 2013
Wow! I'm usually a 'once a week' reader whilst travelling on the tube, but once I started this book I just couldn't put it down. Amazing but true account covering one of the worlds worst natural disasters. The author seems honest and down to earth and despite her own fears has managed to transport me to a moment in time I am only glad I wasn't part of. Despite the horrific events of that day, the bravery, selflessness and fears of Tracey and her fellow travellers helps restore my faith in humanity.

It would seem that Tracey has faced many obstacles throughout her life which would knock most people for six, but she is 'a survivor' and I can't help feeling that her and her partner Luke deserve recognition for their wonderful acts of courage over the days following the tsunami, along with all the many other heroes who helped to save people they would probably never see again.

Thank you so much for sharing this trauma with us Tracey, and for opening up your emotions to help us understand the reality of that dreadful event.
on 17 September 2015
Despite reading this book two years ago it is still very fresh in my mind. I quite often forget a books' content but not this one and have even found myself reading it again. From the very start the author invites the reader to share very harrowing and personal events. I remember hearing about the Tsunami on the news and seeing all the horrific images, mostly about Thailand but this book takes you to another place where they were too devastated by the events on Boxing Day all those years ago. I found my self laughing and crying throughout, and even looking at places on the map as holiday ideas as the author describes the complete beauty of the place both before during and after the Tsunami. I have complete respect and admiration for all those who have lived through such a horrific event and I am even more wary of mother nature and it is a reminder to live life to the fullest. A very well written personal account of Tsunami, put in context of normal everyday people, highly recommend it to all. It would have taken a lot of courage and bravery for the author to share such personal and intimate feelings and memories and I thank her.
on 27 June 2017
The vivid description of colours noises and animals plus the journeys across sri lanka made me feel like i was going through the whole experience with Tracey Lee and not just reading an account of what happened on that fateful day.
on 13 September 2013
I really liked this book. It's human and tender and written by a woman who has in earlier times had to deal with a terrible accident to a friend and yes, it is not a big glossy publication. It is a story of a woman and her family who, on what should have been a wonderful, family holiday in the tropics turned into a horrifying experience of one of the world's largest disasters known in the modern world. She tells quite openly that she had to write it to put the demons to bed that manifested in her head by the horrors she had witnessed. I am glad she has found her way through this horror complete.......not many did.
on 27 October 2017
Such an honest, raw account of a terrifying, life-changing event. An incredible insight into the Tsunami that we remember so clearly - having experienced it only from our front room, whilst watching it unfold. Tracey Lee writes of heart wrenching choices to be made and with such detail about the impact of this event on her and those around her. An absolute must read.