on 24 June 2017
This book is an excellent read for start up businesses and for those thinking of running one or are in their first months of trading it covers everything from starting costs to choosing and using a logo and brand name, getting customers and keeping them and how to stay afloat when you are up and running, as a person helping my family member running a start up business, we were having teething problems of getting sales and targeting customers which is why I purchased this book and my gosh its worth every penny I spent and is a lifesaver in a way too, it will be staying on my bookshelf and will be staying there for when we need to refer to it
on 4 October 2005
This book is absolutely superb!! It really gives you a unique insight into what's required in running a successful business. Cheryl really knows what she is talking about. There are millions of books out there on how to start your own business, but I think this one really does stand out from the crowd. A pleasant and enjoyable read. Keep up the good work Cheryl!!!!
on 28 July 2010
I'm about to start my own business and am in the research phase before kicking it all off. I've read a range of articles / books / websites about starting a small business and although they were very educational I found it hard to place these facts in my own frame of reference.
This book is not only very educational, more importantly it helps you work out your thoughts about the journey your about to embark on. It helps you clarify your future busines's statement and set-up but what I appreciate even more is that it also helps you identify your strengths and weaknesses within the scope of what you're about to do. This book helps you figure out YOUR thoughts about your business - which in the end, is the most important thing.

If you're looking for a flood of knowledge and data then you might want to purchase additional books, but this is the one for getting stuck in and get your head in the right place for starting a small business!
on 12 April 2007
A brilliant book. It explains every detail of what you need to start up a business. It also gives you tips from well known personnel from big firms about starting up and the challenges and hurdles you will face along the way. I am now more than prepared to start my own business... A must read for any entrepeneur.
on 14 May 2016
Very easy to follow and informative.
on 25 February 2010
I've read many business / rich books & run a small business - this is the best by a mile. In a nutshell business is about you and your reasons for starting (are they positive?), the market (if it's declining, forget it), the product (is it wanted? Is it something you like doing?), your work ethic (can you actually deliver your idea?), sales (no sales = no biz!), money (spending your day to day float will kill you off). You will also have to deal with lots of day to day crap, lost items, sadistic customers and if you like variety - great! - your wage varies every month according to demand / season, competitor's prices & new competitors. Oh and jealous ex work colleagues who mistake flexibility for free time ("wish I could just take an afternoon off when I like") with the inferral that you are lazy even though you work all evening. You will be doing all the jobs a big company has to do, but has the capacity to create departments for - product development, finance, marketing, sales, customer service, returns, purchasing, caretaker, picker-packer, etc - all by yourself. That variety sounds great - but in reality IT can end up controlling YOU and every job seems like firefighting after a while. You get freedom - but like all things, it comes at a cost. And you also get freedom to make plenty of cock ups.
on 13 October 2008
I bought a number of start-up books to help get to grips with starting my new business. This was by far the best. I still refer back to it. It is well written and informative throughout. (So good, I felt compelled to write my first ever Amazon review.)
on 23 June 2005
This book has given me the inspiration and practical guidance I need to get my business up and running. I've been stalling for some time, but this book has been the only one I could find on the market to offer just the right combination of traditional business stuff and ideas, with more modern exercises to really incite action and get me inspired and moving forward! I really know where I am going and how I'm going to get there now I've completed all the workbook exercises and found the useful resources and start-up checklist really useful too. Brilliant!
on 17 October 2007
My wife bought this book for me to help me achieve a dream.

Without a doubt, I'd not be so far advanced and positive about a small business future without it.
Cheryl holds your hand and guides you through each step of the start-up process. All your considerations, your ideas and even doubts are discussed. Even better, there's practical exercises to get your thoughts going and push you forward.
The advice and exerpts from successes and failures of business provide excellent ideas, inspiration and guidance.
If you buy just one book to help you start your business - make it this one.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2010
I've been reading this book alongside another business start-up workbook, Start Your Own Business 2010, which is probably a little more up-to-date, but nevertheless the Small Business Start-up Workbook remains one of the staples for anyone (and I mean anyone) thinking about starting a business - practical, step-by-step and full of useful checklists and exercises to help would-be business owners. Recommended.