on 2 November 2002
An excellent book. My dad would be first to admit he isn't a naturally gifted public speaker and he gets a bit nervous at times. But after reading this book, he a fantastic job for me on my Big Day! He was so relaxed and he got the balance between humour and seriousness spot on. I can't recommend this book too highly ... it's brilliant!
on 23 October 2000
As a bride-to-be, I want to be sure that my big day goes as smoothly as possible. I can try to control most things, but the speeches are out of my hands. I have bought this book to help my Dad not to embarrass himself or me, well, not too much! Making the Father of the Bride's Speech is easy to read and full of practical advice. The author writes clearly about the different stages of the speech and includes helpful ideas as well as examples of jokes, quotes and how to be sensitive without being sloppy. This book is a must for any Dad about to give away his daughter, especially if he's not used to public speaking, or just totally overwhelmed about the do's and don't's of making a wedding speech.
on 3 July 2009
This book is practical and readable... It's a no-nonsense guide for father's of the brides who aren't accustomed to public speaking.

There are jokes, quotations, sample speeches already written and suggestions of how to perfect public speaking skills.

I bought this for my dad who is v. v. nervous about his speech and he found the book great.
on 2 November 2002
An excellent book. My dad would be first to admit that he isn't a naturally gifted public speaker and he's a bit nervous at times. But after reading this book he did a brilliant job for me on my Big Day! He was so relaxed and he got the balance between humour and seriousness spot on. I can't recommend this book too highly ... it's brilliant!
on 2 August 2010
I hate speaking in public but needed to make a speech at my daughter's wedding. It had to be the best I could do.

This little book helped me achieve that. It is as short as the speech it recommended I should make. Having read it in a couple of hours I honed in on the elements of a 5-minute address that I felt would suit my style. That left out the hundreds of corny jokes it suggested and I concentrated instead on the excellent dateline and quotation hooks to hold my words together.

Having then written down my 700 words and broken them into learnable chunks as suggested, I practiced and practiced until I was word perfect enough to allow myself to adlib just a tiny bit.

After the event I was congratulated by more people than I could have imagined.

If you need to make a wedding speech that goes down a treat then this small tome is well worth the few quid it costs to buy.
on 14 January 2015
Bought as a present for my husband who has to make his FofB speech in June. Some good ideas but we found some of the ideas either a bit too over the top or a bit silly. Most of the ideas also centred around the family being one unit and nowadays this is often not the case. Not a bad book, just not ideal for us.
VINE VOICEon 16 May 2010
It's OK. I had a quick read through for a few ideas, jotted down my interpretations, then wrote my speech without referring back to it again. As with many of these kind of books, the advice is often not relevant to your situation and you need to adapt the suggestions to suit. The sample speeches are not that good and they are far too short. As for the "jokes", well, they are a joke in themselves. But anyway, who wants to read out someone else's speech and jokes verbatim at their own daughter's wedding? We're recommended to make our speech 7-10 minutes in length and the samples took only 1-2 minutes to read through. However, it's not an expensive book and even if you get one good idea out of it, that will give you confidence and it's surprising what can flow from your pen once you get going.
on 6 November 2011
Not having to make this sort of speech more than once in my life was putting real pressure on me. However when I saw this book on Amazon I ordered it more in hope than confidence. I need not have worried, because once I read it I was away and, by following the simple advice, managed to produce a speech which my daughter said made her cry (in an emotional sense). Job done!
on 9 July 2014
Excellent book. My daughter got married in December 2013 and this book was immensely helpful to me when putting together my "father of the bride" speech which, I am told, went down very well. Thank you.
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2009
Two weeks ago I found this book in a charity bookshop and since our daughter is getting married in 2011 I thought it might be useful and bought it for my husband. He must know it inside out as he is either engrossed in it or it's continually open on his side table. He tells me he already has the punch-line! I can only conclude, having not even looked at it,that it's a must-read for such fathers. A very good purchase I feel.