Style Name: Xperia Z|Change
Price:£8.90 - £70.89

on 11 September 2013
The dock looks smart, holds the phone well, and has a quality feel about it. However, it's way too expensive for what it is essentially a bit of black plastic - especially as there's no charger or cable included. When you connect the dock to power and drop your phone in, the home screen rotates to landscape... as long as there's power to it. Disconnect the power and the home screen flips back to portrait. More frustratingly it won't charge from my laptop USB socket - it must be a mains charger. I bought this to sit my phone neatly next to my laptop without having to connect it to the mains power - so it fails on that score.

UPDATE: One month on... I now keep this by the bed to charge the phone during the night and for that it is perfect. When docked, I have the XperiaZ 'Smart Connect' set up to automatically turn off wifi, data and sound etc. and initiate the alarm clock (which over-rides the silent mode!). A slightly different use to what I initially wanted it for, but I've adapted my expectations! It's actually ideal by the bed and saves me constantly opening/closing the USB flap for charging. All in all, I'm now happy with this purchase, so I'm upgrading my rating of 3 stars to 4 stars. Still reckon it's over-priced, though!

UPDATE August 2014: Still using this by the bed, and still find it really useful. However, after a software update my XperiaZ1 wouldn't 'stay awake' in the dock - after a couple of minutes the screen turned off, and I was left with no clock to look at during the night. I got round this with a simple app called 'caffeine' which is free in the Play Store. Works a treat.
33 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2014
At first glance a lot of money for a matchbox (remember them) sized piece of plastic but it works so well - especially when used in conjunction with the Smart Connect app to alter the phone settings whilst docked. A good solid clunk when the dock is engaged, holding the unit at the perfect viewing angle and an anti-slip treatment on the base that stop it skating around the desk complete the setup. Free postage and packing, and the fact that this is about £8 cheaper from Total Digital, made this accessory an obvious choice. Please be aware this ships with no cable so you will need your own micro-USB to plug into the rear of the unit.
on 3 October 2013
I ordered this yesterday as my charging port broke and would not charge i could not be without a phone. It fits perfectly and that price is certainly alot cheaper than what I would have to pay to get my phone fixed
on 5 January 2015
I've had my Sony Experia Z2 for some time, and although there has not been any issue at all with the charging socket cover, I'm conscious of the possibility that it may eventually work loose. I have been removing the cover daily for charging and as it is a waterproof cover any slack in the fitting would not be desirable. I therefore purchased the charging dock to enable ease of charging. I was slightly concerned with some of the negative coments with regards to fitting and durability. I soon discovered that there was no need. The dock comes with 2 inserts that in total offers 3 different fitting widths. I have a Snakehive leather flip case, also bought through Amazon, and with this case on it slips into the dock very easily. The magnets quickly locate and the phone just snaps into place. As it only takes a second to remove this case, I have recently started charging out of the case as it just looks nicer. There are various options on the phone for what is displayed during charging, and the audible tone when charging is complete. There seems to have been some concerns about how light the dock is and that it would move about to easily. There is some foundation in this while the dock is empty, but the weight of the phone overcomes this. Because I only ever use mine in exactly the same place on my computer desk, I have use double sided tape to secure it, which makes it very stable. Again this is not a permanent fix and is easily removed if needed. All in all a good genuine Sony product. I'm not sure how third party compatibles would fair.
on 13 August 2013
So I thought to myself, buying a piece of Sony kit for over £20 for a docking station, could I justify it...YES! It was one of the best accessories I've purchased for a phone. So easy to use, I keep mine at work so I can keep the charge topped up and run off to meetings or lunch without having to unplug cables.

It's a perfect fit for the phone and looks really stylish too. I'll buy another one soon to use at home for my alarm clock stand and overnight charge.
on 26 March 2016
I was looking for wireless options for my wife's xeperia z2. Her phone's micro USB got too loose and charging through it started to become a real pain. This magnetic charger is a great alternative given little options for wireless charging. It works well and charge times are not very different from the mains charger. I'm happy with this purchase.
on 29 December 2015
I really thought I'd like this far more than I ended up liking it. My issues, in a nutshell, are:

1. Feels quite light and flimsy.
2. Won't work with a charger plugged into a USB port - will ONLY work with a lead plugged into the mains (which I'm keen to avoid as this ends up costing a fortune and means my phone is on the other side of the room, where the spare outlet is), which in my mind somewhat negates the purpose of this item, no?
3. Won't stay put. Had to stick it to my desk with a giant lump of Blue Tac)
4. Often needs a few goes to get the phone properly aligned and charging.
5. The angle is a bit screwy; it's tipped at exactly the wrong angle to be convenient for swiping at a phone charging on your desk.

I don't like being negative, but this item ended up being so poorly designed and inconvenient that I really can't find much to say to redeem it. It DID arrive well packaged, but was caught up in an order that got a bit confused, so I can't even say its delivery was timely.
on 22 June 2014
Most charging docks I have used always seem to fall short or, in some cases, over... This dock supports the Z2 and when it is locked into place it is very steady. The magnetic lock slots into place with a satisfying 'clunk' and the whole thing suddenly looks like a very swish TV. My only gripe, and this is no biggy, is that the magnet is a fraction too eager to hold onto the tablet, it's a two handed job to remove the tablet!
on 20 July 2015
Though I think this little beggar is somewhat overpriced for what it is I cannot say that it isn't (a) useful or that (b) it doesn't do exactly what it's supposed to as it does. I have a Sony Xperia Z2 and this is simply the best way to charge it since otherwise you have to keep opening and closing the protective flap over the micro USB charging socket, and I can quickly see that flap either getting damaged or at least loose, so the dock just makes more sense since there is an interface for it on the side of the phone that requires no fiddling about. Apart from the price, which I do think is too much for what it is, this little dock also suffers from two other things that stop me giving it five stars - the first is it's lightness, the second the too short cable. Since the dock is so small and light it refuses to sit securely anywhere unless a phone is docked in it. Also the USB cable between the dock and power adapter is really far too short to be properly useful - ideally it should be at least twice as long as the barely 1m (3ft) that it is. Apart from that it's the usual Sony build quality (fine) and does the job, so if you have an Xperia phone/tablet then annoyingly you also really you need this dock to charge it if you want to retain all the dustproof/waterproof ratings on the protective caps and covers.
on 2 June 2014
I thought I had been sent the wrong part when it arrived as the box was so small. The stand itself is very small and could do with adding an extra inch all round. It is a little unstable, but once docked, the phone stays put most of the time.
It definitely does NOT come with a charging cable, the one supplied with the phone needs to be used.
I took advice from one of the previous reviewers who said that it works best by the bedside (when I mainly charge my phone overnight).
Sony phones are notorious for the charging covers breaking quickly, which would also ruin its waterproof-ness with this phone! So the magnetic charging dock is a godsend to avoid the repetitive opening and closing of the mini USB cover which would eventually destroy the badly designed USB cover. And Sony do NOT want to take responsibility and even send an foc replacement cover.
The dock is perfect for watching films or TV, whilst charging at the same time. It also works well with Smart Connect to programme the phone to perform various tasks, like setting the alarm, or generally setting it to nighttime mode.
It is too expensive for what it is, a very small piece of plastic with magnetic piece, but it is worth having just to save the USB charging cover.