on 14 April 2017
Another good read from Graham Masterton, I've got to like the Katie Maguire books it makes a refreshing change from the Masterton books of old. The story is believable and I like the characters, Katie is no pushover and knows how to work a case, this book is probably not suited to followers of the Bible unless you've got an open mind and accept that even the devout can be nasty buggers.
The church is a powerful organisation and has a way of covering up its sins, but with Maguire on your tail you may get your comeuppance. When there is more than one character it is possible that some baddies could be more elusive than others, but then again with Grahams mind he may lead you on a journey that fascinate's and intrigues the mind. I don't wish to give anything away but if you would like a little insight into how the best voices are obtained and you've got the balls, give broken angels a go, you won't regret it!
on 14 June 2017
This is the second Katie Maguire book in a growing series. It follows Katie Maguire, who I first met in White Bones, as she deals with the serial murders of a group of priests whilst trying to maintain her work life balance. The author is a former horror writer and that should give a clue to his writing style which is often gruesome, and not for a full stomach or last thing at night. However, like the curate's egg this book is only good in parts. Although the plot is 4-stars good, the characterisation is good, and whilst one expects to suspend belief, the 1-satar ending, like that of its predecessor, is just rubbish straight out of the schlock/horror fantasy genre and too weak for a good old fashioned cops and baddies story. Oh and what is it with the books I'm currently reading, as this is the fourth this year to finish with a cliff-hanger compelling you to read the sequel, which I might just do to see whether GM delivers three duff endings in a rows, if so I'm off after that.
on 2 February 2014
Having first read White Bones I wasn't too surprised to find that this book is much of the same filled with torture, violence and bloodshed so if you are squeamish then this book is also not for you.

The subject matter this time is about 4 priests in particular who die in the most horrific way as a punishment for their previous sins against orphan children. You can immediately see where this is coming from and where it is going from the outset.

Katie Maguire, the Detective Superintendent again in charge of the investigation, is hard-pressed to resolve this case with considerable pressure being exerted by the Catholic Church to keep it as low key as possible so as not to upset the higher rankings with-in after several child abuse scandals along the years. Be aware that each murder is more violent than the last and makes for very uncomfortable reading at times.

This story is also about Katie coming to terms with herself and the things that are important to her and her alone. After living a life in the field of investigation which involves the worst that humanity can throw at it, the death of her husband Paul and then a colleague and the attack on her sister, Katie finds she has to make a choice between living the same life or going off in to the sunset with the man she loves.

The ending is quite spectacular (although melodramatic)and well worth the effort of plowing through the book just to get to that point but I can't say I particularly like Mr Masterton's writings, apparently he used to write horror books! Well I can see those particular talents in White Bones and Broken Angels!!

Not really my cup of tea but both were really cheap which is why I bought them but....I doubt I will ever read another book of his again.

on 12 January 2016
I nearly gave up at around the 28% mark. After a promising start with the dead body in the river it seemed to have ground to a halt thriller-wise. There was some pretty boring reading then seemed to be heading into an explicit sex scene after we first had to endure some weird long-winded form of cookery lesson - pages of what to do with "crubeens", whatever the heck they are! I didn't understand half the strange Irish lingo and I'm afraid I found it irritating.

When the second body turned up I decided to give the book more of a chance and it did become more interesting, although what DS Katie Maguire, or anybody else dressed in, was not - not to me anyway. Other descriptions I also found long winded and boring. The story itself I found quite exciting eventually. Horror stories don't make me quake in my boots and not being over-religious I had no qualms about the author writing about the Catholic priests' wrongdoings and the Church's attempts to hide same.

I think the on going sub-story about Katie and John's love life and the "will she, won't she" was just to fill in, with the whingeing John turning up at inopportune moments. I think Katie and the readers would have been better without him.

Along the way much depended on coincidence, but then, isn't that always the way? The ending was unexpected and extremely unlikely, but then it IS a fictional story!
on 21 October 2015
While this story was very good it drove me to UTTER distraction with the Irish in it. The author needs to provide some translation at the beginning or pack in using words most of his readers don't understand. And my dad was Irish so I should know them......but don't.I even opened an Irish slang dictionary in Google and that doesn't recognise them all, either !! (Mog, drisheen, malogian.....)It is annoying beyond belief.I gave up looking in the end. Langered according to the dictionary means a man's penis and THAT wasn't a matching reference at all !!
Once more he goes with American spelling the whole way through, too-another habit I find very irritating.
There were missed words in sentences-hand/to/the/how,he used deserts and not desserts, speechmarks were missed, O'Dwyer suddenly turned into O'Dwye, her was used in place of him, complicated was spelled as complimacated.......really quite a mess altogether.
It was extremely hard to feel an ounce of sympathy for any of the murder victims in this story. My dad was an Irish orphan and raised by Catholic nuns for some of his life and I know in later life was offered compensation for this (which he refused) so something was totally amiss. As far as I'm concerned they got what was coming to them.
I wondered where Katie's siblings were-one of them was hurt in this yet the other sisters never showed up in it.
There were some funny moments in it along with some sad ones as well so a good mix. Parts were pretty gruesome as well, though !! There was a lot of killing off of the cast I didn't expect, either.
If this had been the first I'd read by him I'd never read another. I have book 3 downloaded and if it is in this state I'll never bother with anymore.The whole reading experience turned into something needlessly laborious.
on 29 December 2014
Katie Maguire has a lot on her mind. She has risen up the ranks in the Garda, she loves her job but when her boyfriend decides to move back to America, she is torn between heart and career………. However all this takes a back seat when a case lands up on her desk. The murder of an elderly priest, who has been tortured in the most horrific ways. When this murder is swiftly followed by another murder along the same lines, Katie is forced to put her personal life on hold and devote all her energies to finding the killer……… with scant clues to go on she is forced to dig into the past, when the murdered priests where all involved in an orphanage for boys…………… Is there a cover up going on.

As some other reviewers mention, the book is certainly not for the faint hearted, the torture scenes are explicit and rather gruesome to say the least. The characters are well drawn and although this is the second book in the Katie series, it is the first one I have read, and so my first introduction to Katie, her father and sister………. I liked Katie immediately and when bits of her past are explained to us, I soon began to root for her to succeed, both in catching the killer(s) and keeping her boyfriend.
A very good read with just enough twists and turns, I would have given it 5 stars but a bit too much violence for me.
on 18 May 2017
I was unaware that there were several books in this series or that I had started on the second. It's a very interesting subject and the book is well written. I like the Katie Maguire character and the setting in Cork makes a change to the more obvious locations books tend to be set in. I will certainly read the next book as I have just downloaded it.
Over the years I have discovered some great writers who have the ability to write with such natural ease that the books spring to life. I would not put the author in this class, but a great read .
on 5 January 2014
This is certainly the book version of the curate's egg. The good parts were very, very good, the parts which weren't were graphic.

Without giving too much of the story away this is a twist on the expected revenge scenario. The motive seems obvious throughout the book, it is only at the end that the truth of it is made clear. As Katie's father kept telling her, go over the evidence, then go over it again, and again until you have the answers. Katie is a detective first and foremost, she has worked hard to become one of the highest ranking female detectives in the Gardai, but without sacrificing who and what she is, to do so. She is a feminine female without being girly, but that doesn't stop her doing a good job, she isn't squeamish about the damage and destruction wrought on human flesh and she has good instincts. One little touch was her dislike of heights, especially when it involved climbing up a ladder set against a flagpole, I think most people could be forgiven that one - whatever their gender. Katie manages to balance work and the rest of her life without causing too much disruption to either, even when it involves visiting a badly injured family member in intensive care. She isn't too hard boiled to be beyond compassion for anyone in need of it, but neither does she allow it to be a distraction. She is incredibly perceptive about people, she knows who is being truthful and who isn't, she can also tell who is hiding something because it suits their purpose and who is hiding something because they have been told to. She is aware of other people's frailties, she senses that her father cannot live long, but knows that as he will be reunited with his much missed wife, he will not regret that. She knows too who is interested in her and why, but is able to deflect it without causing offence. All of these characteristics help her to make the breakthrough she needs, although in the end it is probably luck that saves her life and leads her to where she needs to be.

Personally I could have done with fewer descriptions of the torture meted out to the victims but I appreciate that not everyone will agree with me on that. There is an irony in the outcome which is at once incredible and yet utterly appropriate for victims and perpetrators alike.

Overall this is a gripping and intense story which wholeheartedly kept my attention, I was engrossed in it from beginning to end. Having started the story last night I only put it down when I fell asleep over it, then having picked it up again this morning I read through to the end.
on 20 November 2013
This book had me totally engrossed from the very first page to the last. It is the first novel by Graham Masterton that I have read but definitely won't be the last. I loved the Irish humour, even in the blackest situation. I was able to work out the "why" quickly enough and even though it was quite a gruesome read, I could understand the reasoning behind it all. The lead character, Katie Maguire, was believeable and likeable. Even though this is the second book in the Katie Maguire series it stood alone and gave enough of her back story to make sense of her as a person.

The plot line was nothing like I have ever come across before even though I have read many crime novels over the years by lots of different writers. I don't want to give anything away but the ending was epic. I didn't see it coming. If you are of a delicate disposition, this is probably not the book for you but I have recommended it to a lot of my friends.

I am now reading the first book in the series, "White Bones", which I will review once I have finished it.
on 4 January 2014
This is the story of Katie Maguire, a detective in the Irish Garda in Cork.
Like the first book there are a series of murders and each victim is tortured first before they are finally killed. Also like the first book Katie’s personal life plays a big part and how she juggles her emotions, her relationships breathes life into what might be quite a formulaic book and series.
I really enjoy the exploration of the motives and emotions of the killers too, leaving me feeling both empathy for them as well as disgust for their actions. Which all go to make a better than average thriller.

The final perfect ingredient is the faintest hint of the supernatural. Don’t worry there are no vampires, werewolves or magic, just the briefest suggestion that has us question if there might just be something more… and then again maybe we just imagined it. That puts the icing on the cake for me