Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 28 December 2013
It is a nice read, but it didn't...I dunno, catch my attention in the ending, it was almost as if it was all just a fairy tale ending kinda thing, I wanted to know more about how they did it...you know took down the government.
on 15 December 2014
The initial idea and plot behind the book is good. The overall language and writing can be a little simplistic even for teen/young adult. Especially in the beginning the writer seems to rush through fleshing out the premise of the whole story as they are so keen to get on with the love affair in the middle. This can leave an impression of the whole thing being a little forced and leaves the story and situation bringing these people together quite unbelievable and lacking.

The real disappointment is the ending which is limp and unsatisfying. It is a real shame that after an adequate story the writer ended it with a few pages of rambling and a quick they lived happily ever after.

I would recommend this book for young/pre-teen girls who I think would enjoy the love story aspect that the author seems to have attempted the most effort on. However overall I would not recommend it and I personally have no plans to read anymore of this authors work.
on 4 August 2013
After reading other reviews, I didn't go into this book expecting it to be an amazing read. Others have commented that the first part of the book is amazing, but the second part is, for lack of better word, meh. Nevertheless, this sounded like just my type of book, so I figured I would still give it a go, especially considering the price.

The idea of the book is a good one. To eliminate crime before it happens, the government has ordered that everyone gets a mindscan on their 16th birthday, to check for irregularities. Anyone that fails their mindscan will not leave the compound. Our heroine, Eve, does not fail her mindscan, but neither does she pass it. Her scan comes up inconclusive and as a result, she is not allowed to leave. Eve doesn't know why she didn't pass her mindscan and cannot understand why she is different. She learns that her mother might hold a key to the results with her despise for the goverment and seemingly irrational behaviour.

As the story progresses, Eve learns to trust some of the other people in the compound, including Will, one of the guards/instructors of the strict regime and Sam, one of the other guards-in-training. Although her new life is full of one unfair and difficult scene after another, hope glimmers that she will get through all the obstacles through sheer determination, and may even see the outside of the compound again.

I feel Eve was quite a solid character, and we get to know her fairly well in the story. What got to me is that she shows little emotion over her past life. She is afraid of losing Will, and Sam, but not once do we share her thoughts on how she misses her mother, or wonder about how her mother took the news that her daughter failed the mindscan. It seems unlikely that a sixteen year old that is taken from a mother she was seemingly very close to and everything she knows and loves would simply adjust with no thoughts to her previous life. It's not a big deal for the progression of the book, but it seemed strange to me and feels like it's been forgotten in the book. On the other hand, the start of her relationship with Will is well worked out; there is no instant attraction or romance straight away, but like with the reader, liking Will just sneaks up on Eve when she doesn't expect it.

What the book lacks the most is a solid ending. What I read in the reviews before I bought the book was unfortunately correct. The story is well written and colourful to begin with, but the second part of the book feels rushed, like the author ran out of steam. The feeling I get is that the author couldn't come up with a good ending and decided to quickly skip over the resolution of the conflicts and go straight to the ending when everything has already happened, and what's left are bare bones. This doesn't make the book unreadable by any means, but you may need to use your own imagination to make the ending more substantial.

All in all, I would still recommend this book to anyone that enjoys dystopian young adult fiction. The mindscan idea is workable and the story is quite fresh. The characters are likable and while it could have held up better towards the end, the story is overall well written and the world thought through.

As a final note, I would like to point out that the cover of this book really doesn't do it justice. It looks like something straight from a bookstore's monthly romance section, which it certainly isn't. Don't be put off by it, the story really has a lot more to it than the romance, though there is some of that too!
on 22 December 2013
I very much enjoyed reading this book. It's exactly the sort of thing you're looking for if you've read The Hunger Games, Divergent, Delirium etc and want something similar. My only concern was that the ending was very rushed and didn't get me the sparkly satisfaction I was after; the epilogue could easily have been at least another book and I would have loved to read this. A nice dystopic romance, though, with good character development and an interesting plot. A good, fun read.
on 24 March 2013
Brutal. Flawless. An amazing ride, and compelling beyond all belief.

I loved the original characters and world Ryann created. So bittersweet and alluring if that makes any sense at all? I can't help but love emotionally tortured characters, they make me feel a very real knot of emotions. Whilst reading this a little part of me held its breath, living through the trials the characters were facing, waiting/hoping for it all to resolve into some kind of peace. The slow burn of it was (wonderfully) slow, and was made it all the more satisfying when it finally caught fire.

Also, I've never, in all the books I've read, had that true feeling of wanting a book boyfriend. But after reading, after reading about Will I have my very first book boyfriend. I love it. And I loved him the very best.

A beautifully crafted story that has been an absolute pleasure to read. Seriously Ryann deserves so much credit and applause. Thank you so much for letting us in on this world, Ryann.
on 24 March 2014
I love dystopian based story.lines, how ever their was no fighting other then a few odd scenes the ending is abrupt and short and (dare I say) boring! Where's the action the comedy. It's a half hearted story. And wasn't worth finishing.
on 5 November 2013
Really enjoyed this story, especially as it's a theme/style I'm really enjoying at the moment. This was an easy read, light, and instantly capturing. My only criticism is that it's a shame it wasn't written as a trilogy or series. It had a great storyline and the characters well thought of, but it could have been 'beefed' out more. I don't want to ruin it for anyone who is thinking about reading but there was a lot more that could have been explained or developed further, and it just seemed a little simple or rushed when it could have potentially gone over a trilogy. But I would definitely recommend and thought it was a clever ending which satisfied me.
on 5 August 2015
Divergence fans will like this.
I enjoyed this book but I felt the end was rushed and could have easily been extended into a two books instead of one.
Possible spoiler...
Based on mindscans set in the future, mindscans are a way of controlling and predicting crime. Eve fails the mind scan on her 16th birthday and finds herself locked up and being put to the test, battling for survival and finding her inner strength, she meets Will an instructor who seems to be helping her threw these dark times, they are faced with an attraction for each other but they need to survive above all else.
on 11 November 2013
If you are a fan of the delirium trilogy the hunger games trilogy and the divergent trilogy this is definitely the book for you with more of a romantic twist all combined into one book that seems to have it all...there is a few scenes where I felt that the author was copying divergent but then i thought so what? that isn't a bad thing that books amazing! And this book almost beats it...highly recommend to teenage dystopian readers you will highly enjoy I'm sure and I look forward to see what else this author has in the future for us :)
on 7 December 2013
Hmmm ! This book was easy to read and although thought provoking left me feeling I'd read a prologue of a book that I was now about to begin!