Customer reviews

on 13 October 2014
A pure fantasy based on the previous 5 books. Entertaining adventure - but not history!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2013
Scarab 6. An outstanding conclusion to a wonderful epic journey. Mr Overton's books are an experience, not just a read. I so enjoyed all of the Scarab series, Books 1 to 5 and was anxiously awaiting number 6. Throughout the series modern day characters are introduced in the epilogues and prologues of each book and of course at the end of Book 5 one is left wondering what becomes of them all and do they finally find what they are looking for. Well, book 6 is fascinating with the parallel and sometimes overlapping stories of the race to find the tomb, one team wanting to plunder, the other team wanting to protect. I have read other books by Mr Overton and he always displays a unique and unpredictable mind leaving no clue to how a story is going to end. He did not disappoint with Scarab 6, and I thoroughly enjoyed it to the surprising finale. Bravo Mr Overton for a spectacular series, what research, what an imagination, what detail and what a story.

Scarab's (Beketaten's) journey throughout the reign of several pharaohs is told in Books 1 to 5, Scarab's journey ends at the end of Book 5. Book 6 concludes the modern day story. Ancient history lovers could leave the series at the end of Book 5, but I highly recommend reading Book 6 as Mr Overton's unique writing style is as evident here as in all his other books.
on 12 October 2013
Have just finished the last book in The Amarnan Kings saga , what a great end to one of the best series of books I have ever read. I have read book 1 to book 6 end to end and feel lost now the journey is over. Every book has kept me enthralled from start to finish and the way Max writes puts you right into the story with vivid descriptions of life in Egypt in those times , I have lived through all Scarabs experiences and feel Max writes with passion and a great knowledge of the times. Praise must be given to these books and I look forward to reading many more Max Overton books. I have read the Lion of Scythia trilogy with the same zest and will now move on to the Demon trilogy. Fantastic books and I urge everybody to read them.
on 5 December 2013
I really enjoyed all these books. Books 2 to 5 were very good. Book 1 set out the characters and the broad view of the history and as a result was good, but not as riveting as the others. Book 6 concluded the story but was set in modern times and was therefore not as exciting to me. I can however recommend reading the whole series as they gave me a great deal of pleasure. Book 6 had lots of exclamation marks that were errors in processing by Amazon these were annoying.
on 12 February 2014
This is the last in the series of The Amarnan Kings. The series documents the life of Beketaton, through the reigns of the last kings of the 18th Dynasty and into the 19th Dynasty. If you are interested in Egyptian history you will love these books. The series is brought to a very satisfactory end in this last book. Well written and hard to put down. Well done Max Overton.
on 2 June 2013
I have been waiting for this last book to be available and although a little 'Indiana Jones' it was an exciting ending to the saga of Scarab. Having been down the Nile, it was easy to imagine the villages and towns mentioned and basically, I just love anything about Ancient Egypt! Loved reading all six and will miss Scarab/Dani and chums!
on 11 April 2013
The six books of the Scarab series are the best Egyptian historical fiction I have ever read, and the courtesy and kindness of Max Overton to his readers is second to none. I will most likely be indulging myself in more of Max Overton's books.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2016
An unusual twist at the end of an enjoyable series(Books 1 thro 6)
A fascinating look into the intrigues of ancient Egypt and a reminder of when I served in the Canal zone where I was able to visit some of the places in the stories.
on 25 April 2013
A very satisfying conclusion to an epics loved the first 2 books in the series, but felt it all got a bit bogged diwn in the middle, but this last book got things firmly back on track. Very enjoyable.
on 14 May 2013
Excellent read all six books keep you wanting more, sad to read the end of the story. A must for all lovers of Egypt and the dynasties