Customer reviews

on 30 July 2013
I'm kicking myself. I'm kicking myself because I disregarded these dudes for quite a while.

I remember seeing the video for '...Sleeping Giants' a fair time ago and it didn't grab me. How tastes change 'ey? Long story short; I was round my mates; he slaps on this album; I freak out at how mental it is; I buy it the next day. Egg on my face, DEP are superb.

Totally chaotic and explosive, yet completely in control. Imagine Converge destroying a baggy of whizz whilst listening to the first Mars Volta record. Whoooooop!

On my sixth or seventh listen I'm struggling to pick highlights. There's literally not a second of 'One Of Us Is The Killer' that isn't 666% awesome. I'll go for "Nothing's Funny" for now, check it out.

Do your self a favour and pick it up... I'm off to check their back catalogue.
on 23 May 2013
Erm love this, just whacked it on and listened to it about 3 times over.

Love what they have done with this new album. They have taken all the best bits of their previous albums, and taken it to a new level.

Hard to pick a favourite track this early but loving Prancer,One Of Us Is The Killer, Nothing's Funny.

If you aint picked this up yet do so soon!
on 20 August 2013
Absolutely fantastic - perhaps not as good as some of their earlier albums but still significantly better than most other stuff.
Classic Dillinger in that there's a few accessible sing-along tracks (One Of Us Is The Killer, Nothing's Funny) and then there's also a few shall we say less accessible ones (Prancer, Understanding Decay); as with all Dillinger albums, it's definitely an acquired taste.
A moment to look out for is the breakdown in 'Hero Of The Soviet Union' that is so raw and powerful it makes you want to punch a wall or something.
Just buy it.
on 14 May 2013
The Dillinger Escape Plan style has been described as many things down through the years such as Mathcore, Hardcore and Metalcore to name just a few, what they really are is one of the best bands in music today. With their relentless non-stop style both in and out of the studio they have forged a path that is unmatched by most bands with their complex playing of styles being heavy yet melodic at the same time and not to forget Greg Puciato ability for high pitched and angry in your face vocals and all this from a band that have a high turnover of members including numerous drummers, bassists and rhythm guitarists, of course lead guitarist Ben Weinman is now the only original member. Former guitarist James Love returns replacing Jeff Tuttle.

Following on from 2010's outstanding "Option Paralysis" the band release album number five "One Of Us Is The Killer" which has the same in your face style of tracks starting right from the get go. They come straight out of the blocks with the hard hitting single "Prancer" and follow that up with the equally aggressive "When I Lost My Bet" The band have long been influenced by Mike Patton (he recorded an ep with them back in 2002) whether it be his work with Faith No more or probably closer to Tomahawk and that style is evident on the title track which has Puciato adopt a much more straight forward vocal style, and with "Nothing's Funny" they have a song in the style of "Black Bubblegum" from 2007's "Ire Works" including Ben Weinman's use of electronics on the track. "Paranoia Shields" is a song full of twists and turns with Puciato twisting every vocal into a different style and features a real mellow breakdown at the 2:27 mark as it goes really quiet before coming out full belt again. If you want to hear how good the rhythm section of Liam Wilson and Billy Rymer are check out the mainly instrumental track "CH 375 268 277 ARS".

If you liked The Dillinger Escape Plan previous albums with Puciato on vocals you will love this as it features the usual mix of styles the band offer. And at forty minutes long never out stays its welcome and doesn't have any filler and just confirms the band as one of the most must see live acts that there is.
on 24 July 2013
This album wll blow you away if you like metal etc etc... It is highly original and brutal with melodics and some skillfull timing and off beats in the music. a breath of fresh air of something a little different... a cross between Mehsuggah and Mudvayne with some Faith No More style vocas thrown in....
on 25 July 2013
The dillinger escape broke the mould with there sound and let's face it anyone who mike Patton works with has to be good,one of us is the killer is my album of the year so far,I've seen them live in Belfast and it was the best club gig I've ever seen
on 23 August 2013
DEP did it again, what a great record...not my fav of them. but all of them are 5 star albuns as they are unique!
on 18 August 2013
I love this band, and I can't stop listening to this. I need to buy more of their albums :)
on 22 August 2013
If you're not sure about this record, go listen to the samples on 'the youtube player' uploaded up by Sumerian Records and make up your own mind. If you are going to buy a copy get it on VINYL! Not only do you get an inky smudged slab of white vinyl, you get a free cd of the album, (better quality than any download), a double sided A2 size poster with lyrics and a gatefold album sleeve with more art spooky artwork to peruse while you blast the tunes out. Good artwork and music packaged together used to be the norm, not the exception.

If bands want to increase sales and get more people to buy music, this is the way to go.
on 7 September 2014