Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 August 2017
Good album, worth a listen
I think this is a very good album. I'm new to Amy Speace's work but I took a bit of a risk on this because the great Mary Gauthier admires her and performs on the opening track. I am very glad I did because Amy Speace is a fine songwriter and a very good performer.

There is a lot of good folk/Americana around at the moment and I think much of this album is among the very best of it. Speace writes thoughtful and intelligent songs and can produce a truly beautiful tune at times. For example, The Fortunate Ones is an ear-catching opener, very singable but with real substance, and the title track is simply beautiful: a lovely tune, very well sung and perfectly produced. Its chord structure, tune and vocal all remind me a little of Thea Gilmore, which is very high praise indeed. There is a good variety of moods, too: for example, Hunter Moon is a sinister song of murder and guilt with a darkly sexy beat, and the excellent Left Me Hanging is a beautifully restrained, melancholy song about the end of a relationship.

Speace's lyrics are intelligent and thoughtful. I really like this, for example:
and there is plenty more of that quality.

It's not a flawless album. I didn't get on too well with the allegorical whimsy of The Sea And The Shore, for example, and Feathers And Wishbones was a little weak by comparison with the rest, but then even some of the greatest albums ever made have their less-than-great songs. Overall, I think this is a really good piece of work - it's a hugely enjoyable listen and I think it has real, lasting quality. Very warmly recommended.

and there is plenty more of that quality.

I think this is a very good album. I was new to Amy Speace's work but I took a bit of a risk on this because the great Mary Gauthier admires her and performs on the opening track. I am very glad I did because Amy Speace is a fine songwriter and a very good performer.

on 10 July 2013
Amy is a gifted artist and this is another fine album from an underrated singer. She makes the words meaningful in her lyrics.
on 31 January 2017
My wife has it on repeat in the car, and especially loves The Sea and the Shore. We got this having seen her sing solo and with Applewood Road.
on 31 October 2014
Well written and beautifully performed music