on 16 June 2016
This could be the answer. We were frustrated with Virgin & the entrapment into monthy payments for Free view services that are provided for Free ! It takes some intitial getting used to, being slightly different to way in which SKY/Virgin boxes work, but overall, it does the same job & seems to do it well. You can just 1 click record programmes & series links, Same memory space as Sky/Virgin boxes & plays well in HD. Just wish it had some audio output plus on back for sound, & play / pause feature can be a little frustrating until you get used to it. (You have to physically exit this feature everytome after entering pause mode.) Other than that... very happy & a good answer to Sky/Virgin boxes that charge £30 / £40 month for basically Freeview TV !. Very happy.
on 12 March 2016
One star because it constantly fails to record the whole of a programme. I has assumed that it was related to guide link (where it uses the tv schedule). But the last straw was today when I set a manual 3 hour recording for the England-Wales game at the kickoff - so thats 40+40+20 for the interval = 100 minutes; but 10 minutes in to the second half it stops.

Also, its incredibly slow when performing most actions - especially pausing live tv.
55 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 July 2017
After a month or so the unit was unable to access the menu and the TV HMDI picture shrank to a small screen to one side. After unplugging and reset the unit operated properly once again. This unit has no cooling fan and I suspect that the unit overheats. So from now on it is switched off when not in use.
on 18 September 2017
Be aware that Panasonic have removed the WiFi option for this product in a software update DMR-HWT130. You need to plug in via an Ethernet cable to use the online functionality. It then works fine. Had to return as no cable nearby in our house.
on 27 December 2017
I bought this to replace a Humax recorder which broke after only a few months.

Two issues which should be noted:

1) The picture play back quality is poor, i.e. dark with colours not as vivid (if viewed directly on the TV). There is no way of adjusting this in the recorder menu.
2) Recording using the Guide. Quite simply, don't use it. I have recorded several programmes using the Guide option and the recorder has missed the endings. There is no way to pad out the Guide time so I am now having to manually set timer recordings.
on 15 December 2016
So far O K. I am still finding my way around all the new facilities after upgrading from a 10 year old Humax. I like the way I can control my Panasonic TV as well from the remote control, although it sometimes leaves the TV on external source and needs resetting next morning.
on 7 January 2015
A generation newer than Other PVRs that I've used, the software is robust, the tuner works with weak signals although I am struggling to get good HD reception due mainly to my poor signal. Although only fitted with a 500GB HDD, the video compression is such that I get well over 100 hours of recording time.
It will record two programmes whilst you can watch a third. It also plays Youtube and iPlayer when wired to a router. (This model doesn't have WiFi). The HDMI output is good, but there is no alternative, if you need say SCART or RCA video.
Over a few weeks of use the software
Not so good. Although this will play videos from an external drive, it wont play any of the file formats that I have tried so far. Recordings onto an external drive will only play back on the registered PVR, ie this one. I've failed to get this to work with my DLNA server so far, but that might be more due to my lack of knowledge than anything.
In summary, for the price, an excellent, robust twin tuner HD freeview PVR with plenty of capacity.
on 19 October 2016
perfect thank you , when I get used to it. I only bought this for recording and pausing live T.V.. I do not know what the other things are for and will not use.
on 30 April 2017
Panasonic quality and fairly straight forward operation. The unit appears to have more steps to allow you to view items you have already recorded but once you get used to it it is okay.
Quality of recordings seems good, easy to delete and set programmes to record.
I would recommend.
on 4 September 2015
Worked beautifully straight out of the box. Good picture and sound quality. Intuitive controls. The EPG is easy to navigate. Pluses: when requesting to a record it highlights if there is a HD version and asks if you would prefer to record that instead. A few quibbles: On turning on it often thinks it's found more channels and asks you if you want to spend 3 minutes waiting for it to download these - almost certainly not!. The EPG is not easy to scroll down or up whole pages - you can but using the channel down/up button and you cannot nagivate to a certain channel by typing in the numbers.
Otherwise, a superb buy. Does exactly what we wanted exactly as it should