Customer reviews

Ever After: A Cinderella Story [Blu-ray] [1998]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 18 July 2015
I was recommended this movie by my old boss. She handed me a copy and said "it's very you" - and how right she was! My favorite thing was - until nearer the end - the idea of taking a fairy tale and making it less fantasy more "historically accurate". It meant amazing houses and costumes and dialog that felt more realistic and magical in a different way then we are use to. The only thing I don't like about this film - is that it is too unique and left me wishing more fairy tales had been covered in this way!
on 13 February 2014
For me this is a fantastic film, it is a wonderful story that keeps to the basic story of Cinderella but with differences that make it more realistic rather than just a fairy-tale. The characters are wonderful and the actors/actresses are perfect in the parts they play. This is one of my favourite romantic films. It is funny and sad in parts but of course with a happy ending.
I've lost count on how many times I’ve watched it, it is a perfect feel-good film
Highly recommended for anyone who likes fairy tales!
on 15 February 2012
Firstly, I love this film. Secondly, Dougray Scott is a good looking guy! Anyway, I saw this on Channel 4 a few weeks ago, but I only managed to catch the end of it, I was enchanted by it. I loved the whole idea of it being a story, inside a story. Set in the 16th Century, in France, it captures the life of Danielle (Barrymore) who's father died when she was eight years old. Danielle now acts as a servant for her evil stepmother, and stepsisters (only one of them is a truly hideous character) however, one day she stumbles across the Prince of France, who is instantly mesmerised by her(I think you can see where this is going). When Danielle goes to rescue one of her fellow servants from being sold to pay her stepmother's debts, her strong moral views lead the Prince to want to more about her. Here starts Danielle's adventure, unbeknownst to her stepmother and sisters. However, Danielle's lack of social standing forces her to use her mothers name (Nicole - Countess De La Creole) and title to win the Prince over. When her secret is revealed, both Danielle and Henry are left heartbroken. However, Danielle drops something - a glass slipper. Tired of her schemes, Danielle's stepmother - the Baroness - trades her for the furniture that had been taken for debt. This leads to Henry realising his love for Danielle and rescuing her. Which then leads to marriage of course. And they live happily ever after - although the fact is that they didn't just live happily ever after - they lived.

This is a beautiful film, with the classic twist of the story of Cinderella by the Brothers Grimm. However, the way in which the story is told sets this off beautifully. Though set in the 16th Century, the language is easy to understand, and the scenery is wonderful in some parts of the film. They also manage to inject some humour into the film! You'll be rooting for Danielle to get the happy ending she deserves all the way through the movie! It left me truly enchanted.
on 21 April 2017
Lovely retelling of the classic story with real heart and great acting (an early role for Toby Jones who is wonderfully creepy). Drew depicts a strong female protagonist whom I would rather my daughter observe than the drippy offerings from other Cinderellas (e.g. Miss L James)
Not clever just heartfelt
on 19 May 2011
This movie takes a refreshing look at the Cinderella Story. It reminded me of Brian Forbes 1976 musical version The Slipper and the Rose in that the age old story is viewed from a slightly different perspective. As in that movie the story is enhanced by some great performances by the supporting players. Having said this is Drew Barrymores movie and she turns in a great performance showing both vulnerability and strength of character. A gentle movie to lift the spirits on a wet afternoon. Highly Recommended.
on 3 August 2017
love is film, funny and sweet
on 4 September 2017
Love this film my daughter loved it to she's 7✅
on 26 August 2017
Loved it
on 3 May 2017
very watchable
on 22 July 2015
My favourite Drew Barrymore film, its a brilliant adaption of Cinderella. Amazing cast, amazing story, amazing film!