on 22 May 2013
Just got the new album on vinyl, and it sounds quite good. Like most recordings it's a little compressed but nothing too major.

The pressing is good too, but on the last song on side three "I need my girl" ,
I'm not sure whether there's a defect in the pressing. It sounds like distortion as though the the vinyl is scuffed. Not a sharp click or pop, but it appears again at the same part of the record as the stylus reaches it.

I'm not sure if it's meant to be part of the song as the National have used distortion in the past.

Anyone else got the vinyl,if so do you experience the same noise?

thanks
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 March 2015
The National is a Brooklyn based 5 piece Indi/Rock band, who with the Grammy nominated "Trouble Will Find Me", present their sixth full length record.
If anyone can perform mournful introspection with class and beauty, The National are that band and on this album they are assisted by the likes of Sharon Van Etten and Sufjan Stevens.

Mournful it may be, but with it's intricate arrangements and deep dark lyrics, it never sounds laboured or dull.
on 8 July 2013
Obviously still buzzing from High Violet The National return with new album but not a champion of albums for me. This Cd is a collection of songs that fail to hit the high standards of its predecessor but still shows their ability to get inside a mood and a groove and carry you along on their ride. For me The National really got going with Boxer and there is definitely a sense that some of these songs on 'Trouble' are looking back to that slightly sleazy, slightly wasted side-long view on things but at times it sounds a bit like they're just trying to cram too much into some of the songs and they don't quite manage to soar or breal free of their own arrangements. Obviously, following something as awesome as 'Violet' was always going to be tough and I don't want to be too harsh on a band i really love but this really does feel 'alright' when compared to the two albums that came before it and not a further championing of The National's great talents.
on 3 July 2013
I've been a big fan of The National since the days of seeing them in The Social, Nottingham. Although I have enjoyed every album (Alligator is difficult to top), I haven't had too many repeat session of Boxer and High Violet. I was concerned that they were going a little too mellow. This return is brilliant and although the songs retain a 'standard' format, they thoroughly deliver. I usually play from track 3 onwards, however this is a return to form. Can I face seeing them in a large venue (indie boy-syndrome)?!
on 16 January 2014
Another of my five perfect albums of 2013. Longtime fan, since Alligator, but wasn't so keen on Boxer which I found a bit bland. This on the other hand is dark, mournful perfection. Don't know who Jenny is, but the singer is pretty upset about her and has been inspired to write much of this album about loss and death. Which is right up my alley! Pink Rabbits was my favourite tune of 2013.
on 26 June 2013
Once again an album of high class from the most consistently enjoyable band of the last ten years. My only problem is that it will always be nigh on impossible for them to match the sheer magnificence of 'Alligator' and especially 'Boxer'. Nevertheless, tracks like 'Graceless' and 'Sea of Love' prove that there are still plenty more classic songs in this 5-piece. Worth a tenner of anyone's money!
on 4 October 2013
With 'Trouble Will Find' The National has restored my faith in modern bands and their music and inspired me to write this review. I had not come across The National before and my thanks to Amazon for suggesting this cd as one that might appeal to me. A quick listen to the 25 second grabs and a read of some the reviews convinced me that it was definitely worth a try. Absolute gold - the distinctive, versatile, melodic and sometimes melancholy voice of Matt Berninger is at times mesmerising and his combination with rest of the band is brilliant. There isn't a bad track on the album and I found myself listening to it over and over again. The lyrics are mostly great and many of the songs just keep playing in my head. I suspect that 'Trouble Will Find' may well be The Nationals best effort but this has not stopped me from ordering several of their earlier cds. Highly recommended, you won't be disappointed!!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 December 2013
As each time I listen to it it gets better. The production is clean and the individual instruments all play their part audibly rather than as a mash of music. The words, moody and poetic, the music also highly poignant at times. You have to lie back and listen to it to hear it properly, then once you get it it transports you as music can. Brilliant.
on 9 July 2015
I stumbled across The National one summer and this pretty much played as the soundtrack to that summer. It was the perfect companion for long runs through forests in the summer. Very laid back and honest, with a cool, uncluttered style.
on 5 November 2014
Trouble Will Find Me is mellow, strong, intelligent and grabs the emotions by the heart. This is achieved by very special guitar music and thoughtful lyrics, not aggressive or punchy but empathetic and heartfelt and stirring. It makes for a very special treat for the ears.