on 22 May 2017
It took years for me to recover from my breakup with my ex. I had an inkling before breaking up with him that he might have been a psychopath, but it was easier and gentler on my heart and soul to believe that he did love me and it was just a relationship that went wrong. My head believed he was a psychopath, my heart did not. Years later, the word psychopath came up again and I was reminded of my ex and the question - was he really a psychopath? Is it possible that all the love and adoration I believed he felt for me was all part of a ploy? When I came across this book soon after, I was eager to read it asap. I'm so glad I did. Now, in hindsight, it is clear to me that I was in a psychopathic relationship and his flattery and praise was part of the love bombing and idealisation. I can see how he manipulated and took advantage of me. All the pieces fit together and it is reassuring to know that this has a name and that I'm not the only person who has suffered from this kind of absurd experience, which is difficult to explain to others if they haven't experienced it. It brings me peace and clarity to confirm my suspicions and to stop trying to believe the illusion of true love that I wanted to believe, even so long after breaking up and healing. I'm grateful I found the courage to leave him before I suffered even more.

This book is well-written, informative, kind and positive. It is reassuring to know that victims of emotional abuse, which is now what I can recognise it as, actually have many good qualities, and that is what made us susceptible in the first place. Comprehending what happened is tough and isolating. I can see how this book would be helpful to people who suspect they are in a relationship with a psychopath or are recovering post-breakup, and I can confirm that it is also helpful to someone who has already placed the experience (mainly) in the past.
on 3 March 2014
This is not the best book on the subject. It is very trite at times and with insufficient insight in many places. It is solely about intimate personal relationships, and aimed at the American mass market. I think it largely lacks depth.
on 10 April 2017
I would and have recommended this book very highly.
If you have ever been in a controlling/abusive relationship this will definitely help you come to terms with yourself and aid your self healing.
I would also recommend to people who know someone who has been through this in order to aid your unstanding to better your support.
Very well wrote clear and concise and straight to the point and most importantly very relatable!
on 27 May 2015
Came highly recommended is an interesting read. Sadly I related this someone I know well. If starting out on a new relationship and you're worried it warns you not to go any further, should of read this 20 years ago would have saved me years of my life
on 17 October 2016
Amazing book. Read it in two day and could relate to everything in the book. Highly recommended.
on 3 April 2017
Recommended read for anyone in a toxic relationship. uncovers all the ideas and confirms You were not mad. Jennifer Hooper, Counsellor
on 15 October 2016
This book saved my life. It opened my eye and gave an explanation to everything I had endured for two years of life. I am personally grateful to the author for publishing this book.
on 15 November 2016
This book was amazing. Could not put it down. Anyone who has been in a relationship with a toxic person will be able to relate.
on 5 April 2017
If anyone has ever experienced this kind of subtle complex abuse that these toxic partners deliver this book is for you. My jaw dropped on every page, I could have written this book and until I read it I didn't know the true extent of what I was experiencing. I recommend it to everyone that can't fathom there partner but keep trying to fix things.
on 3 May 2015
This book is ideal for anyone breaking free from a psychopath.
It's helped me realise the emotions I am feeling are normal.The book is enlightening,upbuilding and inspirational.It's almost as if the writer had been in a relationship with the same person as me.I have read this book several times on my road to recovery,it's a real gem