Lonesome Dreams
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 May 2017
I bought this album a year ago after hearing a track featured in a film ...and must say ,I think , I've nearly worn it out! Can honestly say there's not one bum track on the album ,....which is rare these days ,..so no track skipping needed ....if you like Fleet Foxes harmonies , strong songs, and brilliant musicianship with even a sitar thrown in on last track , then I cannot recommend this album enough 😊
on 23 July 2017
took a while to arrive but was well worth waiting for. Never heard them until a while ago but excellent works
on 8 August 2017
Great CD, love the music.
on 2 July 2017
Love this album.
on 18 October 2012
This is a brilliant album and deserves to be a huge hit. It is one of those rare albums with no dud songs or filler. The harmonies are amazing , and blend perfectly with some great guitar playing. My favourite tracks were ghosts on the shore and lullaby. Buy this album and bore your friends by keep talking about it! He also has two great ep's out too
on 10 February 2014
I bought this album in January last year and have barely listened to anything else since. I also saw them live on their UK tour and the set was as good as anything I've seen in the last decade.

I'm not sure I fully agree with the Fleet Foxes comparisons although I do understand why - my feeling is that Lord Huron are fairly unique delivering what I would describe as 'Feel Good Americana'. It's an uplifting set of tunes for sure and I would recommend delving back into their catalogue to pick up the track 'Stranger' if you find yourself enjoying this album.
on 2 April 2013
I haven't done many of these reviews although I've been a big fan of Amazon for a long time. So here goes.
I bought this after having heard good old Bob Harris rave about Lord H on his Sunday morning programme. Often with new records it takes time for it to sink in. You have that "I am sure it'll grow on me" feeling which sometimes materialises into "wow I'm glad I bought it" but often "hmmm how do I return this one". This album in superb. Yes there is a bit of Fleet Foxes about it but personally I think there is a lot more melody, more bite and more emotion. *(Like I said I don't do a lot of these reviews!!!)
If it helps I am 55 and love Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan, Bob Dylan, Nick Cave, Richard Thompson. If you match most or even some of these criteria then you'll love this.
on 12 April 2013
My son gave me a present of this CD for Xmas and I have not stopped playing it since in my car.
Never heard of them before Xmas. I have told all my friends about this CD.
on 16 April 2015
Bought this after reading a recent review on Lord Hurons latest release. Excellent album with almost a theme running through the entire listen. Fleet Foxes are an obvious reference point but there are African type rhythms going on that want to make you close your eyes and imagine the Serengeti. Outstanding listen.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 January 2013
Were you to put the name "Lord Huron" into a musical thesaurus then the name of the the Fleet Foxes would undoubtedly appear. Certainly there is no denying that if Robin Pecknold took this band to court for the opening track "Ends of the Earth" the judge would undoubtedly throw the book at the former and award damages to the Fleet Foxes songwriter. But once you get into the meat of the album the comparison is rather perplexing since any influence-sleuth who gives the excellent "Lonesome Dreams" a spin could argue that this is no Seattle influenced one trick pony and that Ben Schneider the resident clever bod behind it has assembled an album full of soaring harmonies, nice pastoral narratives and a ear for a very fine tune. He supported in this task by a fine cast of supporting muso's including Mark Barry (percussion and vocals), Miguel Briseno (bass and percussion), Brett Farkas (guitar and vocals) and Tom Renaud (guitar and vocals). Those looking for wider references will find them throughout "Lonesome Dreams" thus on some songs you get a snatch of My Morning Jacket ("She lit a fire" which is a real standout), on others a frisson of Animal Collective ("Time to Run") and finally that sort of percussive driven rock that Yeasayer have only mastered in parts ("Brother"). The latter track is an mightily infectious and rumbustious mix of African sounding rhythms and drums plus a strong if rather nasally vocal from Ben Schneider. But it is the glorious last track on this album "In the wind" which impresses most. It starts with a humming electronica and soft vocal backdrop and then pounds into a huge anthem with a melody so strong it could lift weights and is genuinely lovely.

Check out in addition the excellent "The Man who lives forever" where Paul Simon's "Gracelands" influence again lurks deeply within the densely layered percussive backdrop which is powered forward by a lovelorn lyric of youthful wonder. The heavy reverb of the sumptuous "Lullaby" recalls Jim James circa "It Still Moves" but there is enough distinct character about it to make it stand out from the crowd. Equally "Time to run" is a essentially a joyous pop song which shifts along at pace and will defy you to keep your body still. In this song may also lie the source of Lord Huron's musical distinctiveness not least their enthusiasm for tapping into the rhythms of world music and aligning them to the sort of indie folk which has dominated the airwaves in recent years. Ultimately you sense that if this band can build on the foundations of songs as strong as "The ghost on the shore" then this band will have a huge future. There is much within this album that is to be commended and the balance sheet is firmly in surplus. Recommended.