Customer reviews

Saxophone Colossus
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 September 2013
I have found this excellent sounding CD to be perfect for different situations i.e. a great mood lifter for getting the day off to a good start, for playing over a romantic meal, or just plain chilling out too, as I have this morning looking from my bedroom watching the rain fall outside.

I have heard saxophone elements of "St Thomas" somewhere else but I'm not sure where - a film maybe? I am already familiar with Moritat (Mack The Knife) one of Frank Sinatra's most well known songs, and it's lovely to have a jazz instrumental version. "You Don't Know What Love Is" has been excellently covered in previous reviews and is a favourite track of mine from the album. "Strode Road" - another track with familiar sounding elements from where I do not know, and "Blue 7", make up the other sublime tracks on this exceptional cd.

As I started off stating, "Saxophone Colossus" is a great sounding album for so many occasions. Highly recommended.
on 6 September 2015
Great music from the 1950's which still sounds good today. One word of warning, when I uploaded the CD to my computer and iPod I noticed that the track listings were incorrect. The tracks are in the correct order as stated on the printed information but the track titles are mixed up when the information is displayed on the computer, so I had to amend the details manually to ensure they were correct on my iPod. Obviously, not a problem if you only intend to listen to the CD.
on 2 August 2015
This was released when I was still at school, was exploring every aspect of modern jazz, so to now have a classic which I was unable to purchase when released is both nostalgic and enjoyable. This was when the musical frontiers were being expanded in many musical directions BUT there was still a warmth and that inate swing which I regret to say, my ears do not sense in jazz music of this era; it always sounds clinical to me. Get the classics such as this, you will not be disappointed.
on 10 August 2010
For some time now I have been up-dating the best of the vinyl LPs that I bought in the 1960s with CDs. "Saxophone Colossus" is one of those LPs; it is one of the half-dozen or so "must have" recording by Sonny Rollins.
The CD has been re-mastered by Rudy Van Gelder and, even though it was not, in 1956, originally recorded in stereo, it sounds brilliant and crystal clear.
This is a classic recording and, needless to say, Rollins is impressive throughout but particularly on "St. Thomas", "You Don`t Know What Love is", and "Blue 7". Other notable points are the drum solos of Max Roach,the magnificent walking bass of Doug Watkins, and the always reliable piano of Tommy Flanagan.
This is the very best of Rollins in his early period and no self-respecting lover of jazz should be without this CD.
on 4 February 2018
Sonny Rollins in outstanding form, this album should be in any jazz fans' collection, one of the classics along with A Kind Of Blue, Blue Train etc.....
on 8 January 2014
Many include this is the top 10 Jazz albums of all time and it has that same quality as Kind of Blue, Time out and so on where it feels live, at that very moment, in your living room. It is vital, feels alive. Rollins' techniques and style stand out and the supporting musicians are spot-on. Worth it, tho you can also get it as part of an 8 CD set which would make it bargain of the decade.
on 18 February 2018
ok
on 12 January 2018
An excellent testament to a legend.
on 5 March 2015