Customer reviews

Thorn in My Heart
Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 4 December 2014
Fantastic laid back album which has not been out of the CD player since i got it..
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 13 May 2013
This is a good Country album by a fine singer and a good band. For me, though, it lacks anything really special to mark it out from the crowd of good Country/Americana stuff around at the moment.

Kim Richey has a lovely voice and puts a song over very well. Her band gives her more than solid support and the effect is very pleasing. However, none of these twelve songs really grabs me as something to keep and play for years to come. The title track is enjoyable enough, both Break Away Speed and Angel's Share have a singable, haunting quality to them and No Means Yes is a good Country waltz tune (although I'm not at all sure that that "no means yes" is a good thing for a woman to be singing), but none of it really stands out. I think that other recent albums, like Kacey Musgraves's Same Trailer Different Park Same Trailer Different Park and Amy Speace's How To Sleep In Stormy Boat How to Sleep in a Stormy Boat for example, show in their different ways what really excellent songwriting is, and this Kim Richey album isn't in the same class for me.

I don't want to be too critical; this is a perfectly decent album of nice songs, well played and very well sung. You may like it much better than I did, of course, and I'd suggest listening to the mp3 samples to see whether it is more to your taste than mine, but I can only give this album a qualified recommendation.
on 29 May 2013
While I am not sensitive enough (or rich enough) to like aged wines, I am sure there are music artists that I like better when they become "mature". Emmylou Harris and Kim Richey are the examples that come first in my mind. Maybe because I am not really keen to classic country music. Still, when a great voice gains through the years that warm depth of both sound and subject, it really makes me happy. For that, thank you, Kim. Really great music.
on 31 May 2013
I haven't had much time to really get into this one yet, but first listenings do not disappoint, I'm still looking for the follow-up to "Bittersweet", and maybe this is it. Strong melodies, which we haven't had for a while, coupled with really good lyrics. I just need more time to appreciate!
on 25 August 2013
Good country music, For those who enjoy the style it is fresh and original. Easy to listen to again and again, and still enjoyable. I highly recommend this.
on 25 April 2013
Great compact disc, great to listen too. a singer first heard on Bob Harris and I am very glad I bought the compact disc