on 5 July 2014
Amazing technology and works really well with iPhone / iPad. I bought to increase safety on an offshore sailing vacation, out of sight of land and VHF communication for over a week - this device enabled me email, get weather updates, update Facebook and the people at home could track our progress via the tracking points and online chart. A must for all offshore sailing.
on 3 March 2016
Like all the other reviews you'll read, I think this is a great product. I've used it on treks, including a long one around Annapurna and was impressed with the robustness and battery life - even in the cold. The problem is that I then suspended the service and now can't reactivate the device, despite reactivating the account. The device seems to be working OK but 2 mins after reactivating it, it suspends itself again. During those 2 minutes all is good - messaging etc. It seems to be a system problem which the helpdesk guys have been working on but to no avail and now it looks like I'm going to have to send the device back for them to sort, which is a pain as I'm about to go away on a desert trek.
I wish I'd not suspended the service - would have been cheaper and I'd now have a device that works.
on 3 April 2016
Excellent product but not not cheap, and don't forget the ongoing fees.
on 25 October 2013
Bought this product for my son when he's on his expeditions to give me some peace of mind. It's like having an extra friend with him and good to know that if there is an emergency, he can contact help. So far have got signal when needed but not used it much yet as it's pretty new. The screen model is easier as you don't need your mobile too and I bought the basic safety plan which works out at about £6-7 per month, which to my mind is well worth it. Basic safety plan includes 10 messages per month (outgoing and incoming) and unlilmited SOS. Tracking is extra but as my son doesn't want tracking that's good for him. I could still 'ping' him if I needed to know where he was though, although he would need to have the device switched on!
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2013
I had been researching a gps tracker for an upcoming trip to Russia and Mongolia and found that the Delorme was the only one that has 100% coverage.

Since I got it, I went to France and Spain, and family and friends were able to see where I was and if needed contact me. I tend to leave mine in a glove bid on the motorbike.

Thankfully never needed the SOS facility, and so far never had a tracking or message go astray. Well worth the money
55 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2014
I was looking to get a Spot GPS the 2 or 3 version, but I looked at some reviews and came across mention of this, DeLorme InReach SE. So glad I did. I'm sure the Spot is good at what it does, but it does not receive messages and this does.

So, I bought one in time for my trip to the Isle of Skye recently. I knew that on at least 2 of my walks, there would be absolutely no mobile (cell) phone signal at all. I use a Garmin GPS for primary Navigation, but also carry a map and compass. In an emergency, the DeLorme via the Iridium Satellite network, sends your position and also allows you to text the Emergency folk at the other end.

Just like the Spot, you do need to sign up for a subscription, but i don't think it's that expensive, especially if you are out and about on your own a fair bit, and there's the ability to sign up for a casual user pay as you go (effectively) which is a little more per month, but if you know you're only going to use it say, twice a year, works out cheaper.

I found that as long as you didn't cover the antenna at all, it had no trouble getting position and communicating with the satellites. It can be set to send your position every 10 minutes or more and your friends/family can track you or message you from the Map Share page. You'll never be out of touch when you need to be. More info here http://inreachdelorme.com/#pop

I'm really pleased with mine, especially as you can use a smartphone to interface with the unit, making sending and receiving messages very easy. Updates can also be sent to FaceBook and Twitter, which allows all your friends to see where you are and that you're okay, or delayed, or finished depending on the message you send.

Battery life? Well, I went on a 6 hour trip, put my InReach into tracking mode, switched on my iPhone and started the Earthmate app. I put the iPhone into Aircraft mode, then re-enabled bluetooth. Halfway through my in and out trip, I sent some status messages. At the end of the trip, the Inreach was on 94% battery and my iPhone? Well it was still showing 100%!! I know I couldn't believe it either, but it wasn't doing anything other than communicating with the InReach a couple of times.

Incidentally, if you're using a smartphone, you can initiate an SOS from the phone, as well as the hardswitch on the unit, so as long as you can reach either, you're covered.

Any Cons? Well, the build is a little agricultural let's say, but if that means it's bullet proof, all the better. I also bought a neoprene case for it, which allows attachment by carabiner (supplied) or by a clip (belt type) which the case locks into, a bit like the old button on the back of the older Garmins. It seemed fairly easy to detach it from the clip after a couple of practices. personally I used the carabiner onto my rucksack strap and also kept the lanyard attached, in case I dropped it off a Scottish Mountain, not advisable :-)
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2017
The big problem with this and its successor from Garmin is the micro-USB port which is liable to be the point of failure if you use the device in marine environments - the plastic plug that protects it doesn't fit well, and salt water corrosion rendered my device useless after six weeks of tracking in the arctic and NZ fiordland. Garmin customer support in the UK is unresponsive and have offered to replace it for cost price but that wouldn't convince me to spend £200 on another from them.
on 17 April 2016
Works great ......Best little gizmo I have.....But after the DeLorme sale to Garmin, the firm decided to squeeze additional dollars out of customers outside the USA (25 % WAT) we were actually promissed their sevices at a considerable lower price, on the monthly serviceplan, when buyng, now this is not my cop of tea/coffe.. shame on them....Really hate when getting squeezed after buying a product............
on 23 July 2014
This is a totally amazing piece of kit. I bought it to track a colleague who is competing in the Mongol Rally (drive London to Mongolia in a sub 1 litre car) https://share.delorme.com/johnthompson

It is working brilliantly, the registration and activation process at Delorme is easy. The 30day rolling contract is in my opinion good value.

Great value for money and very solid.
on 9 January 2014
I bought the in-reach so that friends and family could track my progress whilst sailing from the Mediterranean to the Gulf of Mexico. It was delivered promptly, was very easy to set up and worked faultlessly throughout the trip. The text, through my ipad was very useful whilst out of mobile phone range. The SOS facility, untested by me, is comforting to have. An economical alternative to an expensive Inmarsat phone.